The Falkirk FC Thread

2 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I don’t think signings at this level necessarily need to be ‘exciting’ tbh - they need to be practical and specifically for the job of winning this league.

Benedictus last season is a great example of this. Never going to be seen as an exciting signing however it was his leadership and expert that Dunfermline built their success on. 

Benedictus you kinda knew what you were getting with him which is why we were in for him aswell. He wasn't a punt but I get your point not exactly a box office signing either. He was certainly more solid than what we had at centre half and still have. 

If you're signing MacDonald, he has to be first choice, surely? He was in The Courier saying the main thing is that he wants to play football.

Will Hogarth be a cheap back-up?

Seems like it's one or the other, no?

14 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

If you're signing MacDonald, he has to be first choice, surely? He was in The Courier saying the main thing is that he wants to play football.

That was my thoughts too, if it's one or the other I'd go MacDonald.

18 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Doubt Hogarth will be that cheap given he's coming off the back of being at Nottingham Forest.

When you sending Finlay Robertson our way?

5 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Doubt Hogarth will be that cheap given he's coming off the back of being at Nottingham Forest.

That's what I mean - so I'd imagine it'd have to be one or the other!

We've yet to hear anything on Robertson. Still waiting to hear if Sam Fisher (likely Dunfermline bound), Max Anderson, Finlay Robertson & bizarrely, Pierre Reedy (we sign a complete random from America pretty much every year that just doesn't play) as to whether they've agreed new contracts or not.

A loan to you guys for Robertson would be ideal as he's not kicked on after his initial promise and it's getting to make or break time!

I was actually hoping we'd send you Harrison Sharp to be your first choice keeper as he looks like he has cracking potential and started last season as our first choice, but he needs games and he's 22 now so needs to do something to stake a claim in our side sooner rather than later but will likely be our 3rd choice this season but looks like you lads are not short of options currently!

33 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

That's what I'm thinking, Hogarth won't want to sit on the bench and neither will MacDonald. Which is why I'm leaning to it being one or the other. Given the circumstances and if we are only bringing in six or seven signings, i don't see the point in giving two goalkeepers a wage when one could be better spent in another area of the team. However there is the McGlynn factor so he probably has some theory on why it is essential to have both. 

Edited by ebobsboy

7 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

That's what I'm thinking, Hogarth won't want to sit on the bench and neither will MacDonald. Which is why I'm leaning to it being one or the other. Given the circumstances and if we are only bringing in six or seven signings, i don't see the point in giving two goalkeepers a wage when one could be better spent in another area of the team.

We have no goalies or a Gk coach. Think it’s a fair bet that we’ll need to spend at least two wages on the goalkeeping department or the poor c**t will need to hit shots into himself all week. 

8 minutes ago, JulioBairn said:

We have no goalies or a Gk coach. Think it’s a fair bet that we’ll need to spend at least two wages on the goalkeeping department or the poor c**t will need to hit shots into himself all week. 

Would MacDonald be happy as player coach though?  Particularly if he wants to play every week. I suppose we will find out shortly. 

1 minute ago, gav-ffc said:

Has MacDonald ever mentioned becoming a goalkeeper coach? Thomson was doing the goalkeeper coaching at Raith not MacDonald.

I think he's doing some coaching at FC Edinburgh?

Jamie MacDonald in The Courier earlier last week:

'First and foremost, I still want to play, I still have that hunger to play. If you are going into that player-coach role, I think it’s a little bit more difficult in terms of being a No 1. For the coaching, you almost need to take a step back from the playing side and then be ready when needed. I’d rather do it properly. Maybe if I start slowing down'

4 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:

Correct,  He will be chasing the money and if a better offer came in from down south then he would be silly not to take it.