The Falkirk FC Thread

23 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Depends how much more is offered I suppose. If it's £500 a week, it's a no brainer, £50 not so much. That's when their previous relationships with managers etc would come in to it more.

True but £50/week is still an extra £200/month. That would help pay a few bills so would have to really love a manager or be well off to consider knocking that back, if offered elsewhere. 

2 hours ago, Van_damage said:

I’ve no doubt managers can have an effect on a signature but I think money influences it much more.

That’s why I would refute claims about players not signing for us due to a turnaround in managers. If they have similar offers elsewhere then these things may come in to effect but I’d imagine whoever offers most will often be the deciding factor on who a player signs for. Would presume that’s why Tumilty signed with Hamilton and not with for us, despite having been with McGlynn previously. 

I have it on very good authority that McGlynn's persistence was a big factor in getting Lang in

We've signed Scott Honeyman back on loan till January. That'll suit us as he'll provide some threat going forward to try to get us a bit more up the table.

It'll suit you guys as well as he's still just a kid and it'll get him more experience.

Hopefully he'll be in the squad for Friday night for our Lowland League game vs Hearts B.

Edited by come on shire

2 hours ago, Ontovictory said:

I have it on very good authority that McGlynn's persistence was a big factor in getting Lang in

Do you know if he knocked back an offer for more money from elsewhere in order to join McGlynn?

13 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

Depends how much more is offered I suppose. If it's £500 a week, it's a no brainer, £50 not so much. That's when their previous relationships with managers etc would come in to it more.

I still find it amazing that professional footballers in lower leagues can survive on the money they get. Their contracts are insecure to say the least, they might end up having to move house/town every year or every other year. And fans always want the clubs to pay them the absolute bare minimum. 

Take the £50 a week here. What's that over a whole year, £2000? (assuming players are contracted until May and not the full year). Minus tax, NI, pension contributions and so on, this really isn't making much of a dent in the player's take home wage. Plus, said player probably had to pay moving costs, rent costs and so on to come to Falkirk. 

And then, in their mid-30s they are done. Having spent 20 years or so jobbing about from club to club, they now cannot get a job anywhere and have to start over. Only a very small fraction of them go in to coaching/management. Like I said, it isn't a life I'd want for myself - I need the security. For a person to put themselves through this (and having fans analyse every move and criticise every mistake online every week), they must really love to play football. 

22 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

I still find it amazing that professional footballers in lower leagues can survive on the money they get. Their contracts are insecure to say the least, they might end up having to move house/town every year or every other year. And fans always want the clubs to pay them the absolute bare minimum. 

Take the £50 a week here. What's that over a whole year, £2000? (assuming players are contracted until May and not the full year). Minus tax, NI, pension contributions and so on, this really isn't making much of a dent in the player's take home wage. Plus, said player probably had to pay moving costs, rent costs and so on to come to Falkirk. 

And then, in their mid-30s they are done. Having spent 20 years or so jobbing about from club to club, they now cannot get a job anywhere and have to start over. Only a very small fraction of them go in to coaching/management. Like I said, it isn't a life I'd want for myself - I need the security. For a person to put themselves through this (and having fans analyse every move and criticise every mistake online every week), they must really love to play football. 

Undoubtedly other factors such as moving house will come in to it but if not on a lot of money then an extra £50/week does make a big difference. 

If Lang is on £800/week with us but offered £850 elsewhere then that’s a 6% rise in salary which would be an extra £1631 per year or £31/week(take home pay).

With the rising cost of living an extra £31/week isn’t insignificant, particularly when weighing it up against joining someone who has no guarantee that they will be in a job for long. 

Like you say there will be many factors involved but I’d imagine at lot of it will boil down to money and the added costs of moving against increased wage. 

Agree with the overall sentiment about playing lower league football though. Can have a huge affect on your life, having to move homes, put your kids in to new schools, not to mention putting up work dogs abuse, all for a fairly average wage. 

Edited by Van_damage

On the other side of the coin, if they thought McGlynn was useless and not a good manager to work for, would they have moved to work with him again for £50 extra a week? If I had an ex boss I didn't like and he asked me to work for him again I know I wouldn't jump at the chance like these guys did, which I think tells it's own story on how they rate McGlynn and enjoy working with him. That's a good few players now left their clubs to go back to working with him. Definitely has some clout and it's not just money. These players also seem happy at the club so far and not just turning up for a wage. 

12 minutes ago, Believe The Hype said:

On the other side of the coin, if they thought McGlynn was useless and not a good manager to work for, would they have moved to work with him again for £50 extra a week? If I had an ex boss I didn't like and he asked me to work for him again I know I wouldn't jump at the chance like these guys did, which I think tells it's own story on how they rate McGlynn and enjoy working with him. That's a good few players now left their clubs to go back to working with him. Definitely has some clout and it's not just money. These players also seem happy at the club so far and not just turning up for a wage. 

Not saying McGlynn had no influence but I do doubt he was offered more elsewhere. 

If it’s true we did offer Tumilty a deal then presume it wasn’t down to McGlynn which made him join Hamilton instead but being offered a better deal. 

Anyway could go back and forth all day without knowing whether he was offered more elsewhere. What matters is he’s with us and proving to be a key influence in our team, as with Spencer. 

42 minutes ago, Believe The Hype said:

This is kind of what I'm saying. The money and security is terrible in the grand scheme of things. The players must love playing and love the game, and if they find a home/manager they like it must make a huge difference. 

21 minutes ago, Van_damage said:

Not saying McGlynn had no influence but I do doubt he was offered more elsewhere. 

If it’s true we did offer Tumilty a deal then presume it wasn’t down to McGlynn which made him join Hamilton instead but being offered a better deal. 

Anyway could go back and forth all day without knowing whether he was offered more elsewhere. What matters is he’s with us and proving to be a key influence in our team, as with Spencer. 

Everything about the Tumilty deal screams to me that we were in pole position but then had to pull out as we didn't have the funds(due to signing Lang, Spencer & Miller), could be that Hamilton came back in again with an increased offer but they had already announced him as leaving so I think the first versions the most plausible.

1 hour ago, FFC 1876 said:

Everything about the Tumilty deal screams to me that we were in pole position but then had to pull out as we didn't have the funds(due to signing Lang, Spencer & Miller), could be that Hamilton came back in again with an increased offer but they had already announced him as leaving so I think the first versions the most plausible.

That was my take on it, don’t think Tumilty was offered any form of concrete deal at all with us as Mcglynn had supposedly used up all his budget at that point. Extra money was then made an available latterly when the remaining shares were sold allowing us to bring in Bisland and Ross, by that point Tumilty had already been snapped up. Pre season we were obviously still trying to move a player or two out the door to allow more to come in and that never happened for one reason or another. In hindsight I now would not swap Finn Yates for Tumility anyway, I think he’s developing into an excellent right back for us which is probably why Mcglynn was less concerned about prioritising that position than some posters on here were. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

22 minutes ago, Forever_Blue_ said:

Slightly off topic.. Is there a contractual obligation on FFC to host events at the Inchyra Hotel? 

There's not much choice in Falkirk these days to hold events like these if you are expecting sizeable numbers. You used to have the park hotel, cladhan or beancross but they aren't options any more so you are left with grange manor or the inchyra . Grange manor is smaller and might already be fully booked who knows.  Very limited options now though in the area.

3 hours ago, scottsdad said:

This is kind of what I'm saying. The money and security is terrible in the grand scheme of things. The players must love playing and love the game, and if they find a home/manager they like it must make a huge difference. 

I was talking about this exact thing at weekend.  Some of those young lads if coached football from a young age probably didn't bother too much with school - you then have a fairly average career and even though some of the wages are higher than most folk in their 20s you would imagine most of them don't budget and plan for future...then potentially in your mid 30s you are without a club and looking for a new career.    Some probably get good advice (for example my old man knows Charlie Telfers dad and I believe Charlie is studying Law at Uni part time for when he finishes)

A friend of mine had something similar in the music industry.  We was in a moderately successful indie band.  They weren't massive but he made enough money in his 20s and didn't really have anything else to fall back on. 

He hit his mid 30s, band split up, not a lot of royalties coming in and realised he needed to do something completely different to pay his rent.  Many of his mates who had got 'normal' jobs in their 20s all owned houses(some on their 2nd or 3rd) whilst he was struggling to pay his rent.

Something you don't hear too much about.

3 hours ago, LatapyBairn. said:

That was my take on it, don’t think Tumilty was offered any form of concrete deal at all with us as Mcglynn had supposedly used up all his budget at that point. Extra money was then made an available latterly when the remaining shares were sold allowing us to bring in Bisland and Ross, by that point Tumilty had already been snapped up. Pre season we were obviously still trying to move a player or two out the door to allow more to come in and that never happened for one reason or another. In hindsight I now would not swap Finn Yates for Tumility anyway, I think he’s developing into an excellent right back for us which is probably why Mcglynn was less concerned about prioritising that position than some posters on here were. 

That may have been the case but definitely not what was said at the time. In fact, Pedro took dogs abuse for suggesting the budget had been used up then with others being adamant we had made offers to right backs, Tumilty being one. 

Edited by Van_damage

1 hour ago, Van_damage said:

That may have been the case but definitely not what was said at the time. In fact, Pedro took dogs abuse for suggesting the budget had been used up then with others being adamant we had made offers to right backs, Tumilty being one. 

Unless it came from the club or FSS I’d never take anything posted on here as fact anyway so to be honest I’m not convinced of either. Not sure if the budget was indeed completely used up at that point nor do I think Tumility was offered a deal. I think if McGlynn was indeed looking for a right back that early on it was more likely going to be a cheaper loan type player (as JW alluded to when asked at the time) to add depth with other positions obviously having been prioritised rather than using up budget on a more expensive Regan Tumilty type. Seems more likely with hindsight Mcglynn always intended on using Finn Yeats in that position. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

24 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

To be honest I’m not convinced of either. Not sure if the budget was indeed completely used up at that point nor do I think Tumility was offered a deal, I think if he was looking for a right back that early on it was always going to be a cheaper (or free) loan type player to add depth rather than a more expensive Regan Tumilty type. Seems more likely with hindsight Mcglynn always intended on using Finn Yeats in that position. 

It must have been used up as Reghan Tumilty signed for Hamilton on the 27th of June and our last signing before Bisland was Sam Long on the 22nd of June. McGlynn also said in his pre-season interview that he had no money to bring in others.

Whether we offered a deal to Tumilty before then, I’ve no idea, but it was said by some prominent posters on here and not challenged. 

Edited by Van_damage

3 minutes ago, Van_damage said:

It must have been used up as Reghan Tumilty signed for Hamilton on the 27th of June and our last signing before Bisland was Sam Long on the 22nd of June and McGlynn said in his pre-season interview that he had no money to bring in others.

Whether we offered a deal to Tumilty before then, I’ve no idea, but it was said by some prominent posters on here and not challenged. 

Like I said, not convinced the budget was completely used up at that point, I think he still had some wiggle room for a player at the right price but if McGlynn was quoted as saying there wasn’t a penny left however then fair enough but I don’t remember it. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

Just now, LatapyBairn. said:

Like I said, not convinced the budget was completely used up at that point, I think he still had some wiggle room. 

It does add up though as no others were signed after the 22nd of June and the call to buy the remaining shares was in order to bring in more players.