The Falkirk FC Thread

Just now, Hugh Hillshaveyes said:

Because I think the pace we play at doesn't suit a 35 yo arfield...I think you'd have to change our formation to shoehorn him in...

I reckon we shouldn't take a chance on a 35year old, look what happened with a certain Russel Latapy. That turned out a disaster😂😂

I have no doubt Oliver is a clever footballer, but he's played a pretty minimal role this year (even though he's done okay when called on) and given his deal is up at the end of the year, I'd like to see funds like that going elsewhere to get someone better in. Like it or not, football is a ruthless business and while the spine of the team is very good, we'll definitely need some quality brought in to compete over a 36 game Championship season.

I'm pretty optimistic about the recruitment that will be possible if we get the core of our squad signed up, given it's arguably McGlynn's strongest attribute as a manager. McGinn and McKay are two who I imagine won't be on peanuts who will be away, opening up a significant amount of money. Add Oliver and Mackie into that and it's even more, along with the budget increases granted from Championship football. Long will also go back to Lincoln and I'd imagine we'll negotiate a deal to allow Allan to move on. Reasons to be cheerful!

4 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:

Nesbitt has been exceptional this season, his constant movement and pressure is pivotal to how we play but yesterday for me was exactly why many have had doubts about him.

Two or three chances in the second half to put the game to bed and he fluffed them. 

Yet he assisted (indirectly and directly) the 2nd and 3rd goals. He’ll always have his doubters but I think, without doubt, that Nizzy is quite key to how we play as a team.

1 minute ago, GunnerBairn said:

Yet he assisted (indirectly and directly) the 2nd and 3rd goals. He’ll always have his doubters but I think, without doubt, that Nizzy is quite key to how we play as a team.

He's a skillful player & has an admirable work rate...if he could finish he'd be some player 

23 minutes ago, Bairn winner said:

I reckon we shouldn't take a chance on a 35year old, look what happened with a certain Russel Latapy. That turned out a disaster😂😂

Very different players in a very different system and style of play.

Latapy was one of those guys with great skill but let's be honest he was hardly a grafter and would slow it down, wouldn't fit with this team or style as he was what people would call a luxury player. 

1 minute ago, GMBairn said:

Latapy was one of those guys with great skill but let's be honest he was hardly a grafter and would slow it down, wouldn't fit with this team or style as he was what people would call a luxury player. 

Now I know you’re at the wind up. Latapy would fucking stroll into this team and utterly boss this division. Get off the smack, man. 

2 minutes ago, GMBairn said:

Wow, this must be a wind up.

Regarding who we let go next season IF we go up: I think McGinn will retire and I'd let go of McKay, Oliver, Mackie, Lawal and Allan (if we can get someone to take him). Lawal's a good footballer but it's just not really working out for him and I think, technically, Oliver is very good but he lacks desire for me. Long and Bisland will go back to their parent clubs. Maybe keep Hogarth as back-up and I'd keep Ross and Tait if it's possible. Shanley has done ok, but we've not really seen much of him to form an opinion. 

1 minute ago, Rugster said:

Now I know you’re at the wind up. Latapy would fucking stroll into this team and utterly boss this division. Get off the smack, man. 

Obviously he was a player that was too good for this level but the point stands. 

Building a football team is about way more than just grabbing good players and putting them together it's about getting a whole unit that's better than the sum of its parts.

He's not the type of player this team needs. 

2 minutes ago, BPM said:

They were very complimentary about Keelan Adams the other week talking about him running non stop against Ferry's East Kilbride team.

Should be a good listen.

Edited by FFC 1876

7 hours ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Attention will soon turn to next season (in my view, we will need better quality in a number of positions to challenge at the top end as John has stated). But let’s get it wrapped up officially first.

McGlynn said in his pre-Accies interview that sooner we secure promotion, the extra weeks of time before the summer will allow for contract extension talks, scouting for next season, and looking at different ways to play teams in the Championship (formations and tactics planning it sounded like to me). If that’s how the extra preparation time will be used, then let’s get this league sewn up ASAP.

10 minutes ago, GunnerBairn said:

McGlynn said in his pre-Accies interview that sooner we secure promotion, the extra weeks of time before the summer will allow for contract extension talks, scouting for next season, and looking at different ways to play teams in the Championship (formations and tactics planning it sounded like to me). If that’s how the extra preparation time will be used, then let’s get this league sewn up ASAP.

Really good point. The longer we get to plan, the better. Same off the pitch - everything we’ll market to fans for next season, how we’ll handle bigger away crowds, new initiatives, getting sponsors and advertisers signed up, etc etc - can only give more confidence in the budget we set. 

10 minutes ago, GunnerBairn said:

McGlynn's monogamous to the 4-2-3-1 we won't see that change. I'd imagine his pre contracts might be a bit better than Brad Mckay and Stevie Hetherington though.

Oliver's versatility has been useful but our signings over the summer need to be better quality than him.