The Falkirk FC Thread

12 minutes ago, Rugster said:

What did you and your brother think of MacIver’s contribution today?

My brother was at Murrayfield taking match photos for Falkirk Rugby club - they won the League cup.  He'll be chuffed.

My opinion of MacIver certainly did improve.  I can see his value a bit more.  Still can't help thinking if we kept Burrell how many more goals we would have scored. There is a reason the other players who voted for team of the year didn't put him in the team, and I would suggest they might know more than we do?  Could be wrong though.

So yes, he went up in my opinion today.

Edited by Long Suffering Bairn
mistake

4 minutes ago, Long Suffering Bairn said:

My brother was at Murrayfield taking match photos for Falkirk Rugby club - they won the League cup.  He'll be chuffed.

My opinion of MacIver certainly did improve.  I can see his value a bit more.  Still can't help thinking if we kept Burrell how many more goals we would have scored. There is a reason the other players who voted for team of the year didn't put him in the team, and I would suggest they might know more than we do?  Could be wrong though.

0ef32df05f0d9e68306888daae03bb86.gif

3 minutes ago, Long Suffering Bairn said:

I’m not sure we’d have scored many more goals than the 94 we already have (just in the league) but I guarantee you we wouldn’t have had the togetherness and squad camaraderie we have now if we’d kept Burrell. 

The other players voted for him purely on goal tally, not contribution to the team. 

19 minutes ago, Long Suffering Bairn said:

We could well end the season scoring 100 goals! You honestly think keeping Burrell would have improved our current frontline?! Those goals have been spread around with a number of players on double figures, I’d suggest as a team we’d have scored a far lower number without McIver being there, even if Burrel has managed a couple of extra goals over him to me a blind man should be able to see who the better all round player is having watched the difference Ross has made to our front line this season compared to last. Even outwith his overall contribution to the team as a whole it’s not as if his stats are bad either, what is it? 15ish goals and 7 or 8 assists in total? 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

2 hours ago, Bairn in Exile said:

yes, fucking useless. The same last week even although we were at TFS where we're not supposed to have any problems.

Worked fine for me 

Great battling performance. Defence shaky at times but that will happen when you’re down to 4th and 5th choice who have never played together.

Miller and Nesbitt were particularly good. Thought Agyeman again looked dangerous when he came on- he would actually be my first substitute across the front four as he is a nightmare for defenders.

On to next week now and the chance for the players to write their names in history.

23 minutes ago, Long Suffering Bairn said:

I actually think Burrell is a good player and think he deserves to be in the team of the year. However, for me Maciver is a better fit for the way we play. Yes, he could be more clinical but he has also been a big part of the reason we have scored so many goals as a team.

3 hours ago, Bairn in Exile said:

yes, fucking useless. The same last week even although we were at TFS where we're not supposed to have any problems.

I very rarely use the service but on both occasions this season when I have (today was one of them) it’s worked perfectly fine and the footage has been reasonable. 

22 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Sammon and Wales will be licking their lips!

My DOOM for this is unchanged; we'll just have to go out and outscore them. Probably will need 4 the way bad luck at the back and refereeing seems to be going... 😑

Alloa have play off games to come so the management will have it drummed into them the importance of going canny.

Falkirk players have the chance to write themselves into the clubs history book and will play out their skins.

Our midfield will be key in protecting a possible make shift defence

It's going to be one hell of a day

Just now, HopeStreetWalker said:

Alloa have play off games to come so the management will have it drummed into them the importance of going canny.

Falkirk players have the chance to write themselves into the clubs history book and will play out their skins.

Our midfield will be key in protecting a possible make shift defence

It's going to be one hell of a day

I'm going to be in a conference room near Edinburgh Airport!

Absolutely making buttons here already.

18 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

We have Morrison on 23. Maciver himself on 14 (a respectable return in itself). Nesbitt on 11 and Miller on 9. 

Coves next 2 under Burrell are on 9 and 5. 

So Ross Maciver is a mere 7 goals behind a poacher who scores all his teams goals, who has an entire team dedicated to feeding him because that's all he can do, but has been instrumental as the target man in a system that as you say, has yielded goals by the hatful from the attacking midfielders. There's no sensible conversation to be had about whether we would have been better off with Burrell. We play John McGlynns football. John McGlynn replaced Burrell with Maciver, yielding the above results and one week from an invincible season. 

No conversation to be had at all. 

It’s no secret I’m biased towards MacIver, I admitted this when he signed, that he’s a nephew one of my wife’s best friends, but honestly that is not impacting on my opinion of him. He’s been absolutely fucking crucial to our season and I love him to bits. 

36 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

My DOOM for this is unchanged; we'll just have to go out and outscore them. Probably will need 4 the way bad luck at the back and refereeing seems to be going... 😑

Surely if alloa have any sense the likes of Wales and Stephen will be wrapped up in cotton wool on the bench next Saturday . It's an absolute nothing game for them and they can't risk an injury or red card putting someone out the playoffs. 

38 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Agreed, we’ll just need to outscore them and go all out attack. Cal’s chasing SPFL top scorer and we can make a dent towards 100 league goals. Defensively, would McGinn do a job at the back, sweeper? Helluva game in prospect next week and I think Alloa may ease up and rest a bit for their playoffs.

I'd be amazed if Alloa went full strength on Saturday. They're a part-time team going straight into a Tuesday-Saturday playoff with Hamilton. But they'll still be a dangerous proposition as there will be fringe players trying to stake a claim.

Ideal scenario is that we get a couple of early goals and turn it into a training match like we've done numerous times at home this season.

2 minutes ago, GunnerBairn said:

Agreed, we’ll just need to outscore them and go all out attack. Cal’s chasing SPFL top scorer and we can make a dent towards 100 league goals. Defensively, would McGinn do a job at the back, sweeper? Helluva game in prospect next week and I think Alloa may ease up and rest a bit for their playoffs.

I’d thought this about McGinn as well, looking at the available options who else do we play there if Hendo is out? Bisland played for a bit today but that’s not ideal either. McGinn is probably our best shout. 

10 minutes ago, lanky_ffc said:

I'd be amazed if Alloa went full strength on Saturday. They're a part-time team going straight into a Tuesday-Saturday playoff with Hamilton. But they'll still be a dangerous proposition as there will be fringe players trying to stake a claim.

Ideal scenario is that we get a couple of early goals and turn it into a training match like we've done numerous times at home this season.

I'm playing left back next week so keep it under 10.

3 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

I'm playing left back next week so keep it under 10.

Yeah it would be crazy to risk your important players next week just to snooker our unbeaten season.  Two big games against Montrose .