The Falkirk FC Thread

Guest Back Post Misses

I'm not sure you do need central defenders with pace as long as they are organised and read the game well enough. Durnan isn't a slouch but neither Higgins nor Dowie has any pace to speak of and they still manage it well enough. I doubt we'd play a back three if any of the three of them were missing though. As I said, you need reliable defenders who can cope with the system. Whenever any of them have been unavailable we've gone back to a four with the other two playing at centre half, as we did on Sunday in Durnan's absence.

Interesting that I have spoken to two exFalkirk managers one who played a back three the other who didn't like it. Both said they needed pace to play that way. Falkirk did it once under SP and we beat The Old Rangers. He had pace that night with Rhys Bennett.

I bow to your knowledge of the game however.

Guest Back Post Misses

I know; it's far better. It's got the option of standing, it's very near my house and my favourite team play there every other week.

Yes I remember standing there in March on a very blowy night.

We used a back three pretty effectively with the very un-pacy Jim Thomson and Brian Reid. The key to that was Stuart Lovell doing a sweeper job in behind them. All three made up for a lack of legs by having an excellent ability to read the game.

Pace is obviously welcome throughout the team, but it's not essential. In my opinion what is essential in a 3-5-2 is the wing-backs. Play a defensive minded full back and you end up with a back 5. Play a converted winger who can't defend and you're in trouble.

It works well for us because Holt and Kidd are comfortable in both halves of the pitch, and both have incredible engines on them and can run all day.

Yes I remember standing there in March on a very blowy night.

Yes, I remember that too. Clearly the low point of our season.

Wonderful as the last week's been, I still really wish we'd won the Cup tie and had your weekend to look forward to.

You all sound pretty down, but you've a decent chance. Hibs are no great shakes.

Agree with Marsh to a certain extent.

Why are we comparing ourselves to a past time where we have developed and improved as a club, both in terms of facilities and players we can produce.

Footballs changed. In our domestic game we are now seeing Motherwell finishing 2nd consitently over the past years, Inverness likely to finish 3rd in the top flight. Falkirk fans should feel aggrieved that we aren't up there competing, considering we are similar fan bases with the former and certainty the latter.

Sorry if I can't get up for a game when we've been rotten recently, against a team we've had, in my opinion, a result against us which has been the most upsetting in my time supporting the club. Who with their fire power and our lack of, look like they'll thump us.

I've bought my ticket and will still be there, backing the team and manager 100%, but not in any expectation like some on here. It's not fair on this average squad.

Yogi, Scott McKenzie and Kevin James played in a back 3 under McCall. Zero pace there.

That was the three I was thinking about.... McKenzie read the game superbly.

I was never a fan of the 3-5-2 till that season, I was always under the impression that 3-5-2 was really just a glorified 5-3-2. I've seen some hmmmm performances using it when the players aren't adaptable to it. We used it under Holt away to Raith with Flynn, McCracken and Vaulks. I'm sure we changed it after 45 mins.

Im not so sure we have players to go back that way, I just can't see Houstie using it

Yogi said something along those lines when we just scraped survival in the SPL and made the Scottish Cup Final.

It was a shit season.

Memorable for our Chairman and Manager signing a few players on big money before quitting and leaving the club well and truly fooked.

Thanks guys.

For now.

This side of the stadium will be developed in the next couple of years IMO.

I thought I read somewhere that the reason that the ground has a 10k capacity is because it is in the Grangemouth blast zone and therefore that was the maximum allowed. I take it I have been totally duped by a load of old rubbish then?

I thought I read somewhere that the reason that the ground has a 10k capacity is because it is in the Grangemouth blast zone and therefore that was the maximum allowed. I take it I have been totally duped by a load of old rubbish then?

Yep.

Many moons ago, there was talk of a BP/Petrochemical testing centre or some sort, attached to a stand, that wasn't allowed due to said "Blast zone".

A stand/terrace with anything else in it is perfectly allowable.

Sent from my iPhone using Pie & Bovril