The Falkirk FC Thread

6 minutes ago, Big chungus said:

Please do excuse me for most likely getting ahead of myself. But this is Morrisons 5th season with us. Just signed a new two year deal, so let’s say he’s with for that length of time. That’ll be 7 years he will have been with the club. If he can continue a similar goal scoring record in the championship does that mean he’s a Falkirk “legend”.

This is his 4th season but aye. He stuck with us through all the shite.

1 hour ago, LatapyBairn. said:

We were obviously able to match or better the extensions they’d offered both Lang and Spencer. 

Not necessarily. Both had worked with McGlynn before and I was told on the day we signed them that he was a large part of the reason they came here. Lang had interest from a Premier League club who wanted to have a look at him and you must assume they could have paid more than we did. 

You could also reasonably assume Morrison could have earned more had he left us. He might well have doubled his salary if some of the figures reported were accurate. However, if he has two good seasons playing for us at the top end of the Championship that may turn out more beneficial to his longterm career than a move to somewhere like Linfield or Salford City. 

He might have gazillioned his salary if he'd signed for megabucks Hamilton, but who in their right mind would want to go there? 

10 minutes ago, Big chungus said:

Please do excuse me for most likely getting ahead of myself. But this is Morrisons 5th season with us. Just signed a new two year deal, so let’s say he’s with for that length of time. That’ll be 7 years he will have been with the club. If he can continue a similar goal scoring record in the championship does that mean he’s a Falkirk “legend”.

I'm not sure where I got these stats from, but I've held them in my FFC spreadsheet for a number of years now. In 44 years of watching Falkirk, these are the top goalscorers I've seen in person: 

Crunchie 61

Cadette 46

Hoggan 44

McWilliams 43

McRoberts 42

Houston 40 

Duffy 36. 

A few of those are already considered legends, so if Cal can top that table he absolutely should be considered in the same bracket as them. And with 12 games left of this season and two more years afterwards, who would bet against him? 

9 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Not necessarily. Both had worked with McGlynn before and I was told on the day we signed them that he was a large part of the reason they came here. Lang had interest from a Premier League club who wanted to have a look at him and you must assume they could have paid more than we did. 

You could also reasonably assume Morrison could have earned more had he left us. He might well have doubled his salary if some of the figures reported were accurate. However, if he has two good seasons playing for us at the top end of the Championship that may turn out more beneficial to his longterm career than a move to somewhere like Linfield or Salford City. 

He might have gazillioned his salary if he'd signed for megabucks Hamilton, but who in their right mind would want to go there? 

Two year deals for that extra bit of security and they would have came in knowing they were guaranteed starters.

31 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

I'm not sure where I got these stats from, but I've held them in my FFC spreadsheet for a number of years now. In 44 years of watching Falkirk, these are the top goalscorers I've seen in person: 

Crunchie 61

Cadette 46

Hoggan 44

McWilliams 43

McRoberts 42

Houston 40 

Duffy 36. 

A few of those are already considered legends, so if Cal can top that table he absolutely should be considered in the same bracket as them. And with 12 games left of this season and two more years afterwards, who would bet against him? 

Thanks BB. Some great names and great memories. Cal will top Crunchies total with ease making him a real legend and just think of all the crap he has worked through. Some posters on here wanted him on the bench at some points last season!

50 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Crunchie 61

Cadette 46

Hoggan 44

McWilliams 43

McRoberts 42

Houston 40 

Duffy 36. 

According to wiki, Alex Ferguson scored 47 goals for Falkirk

Think Doug Moran is our all time top scorer with 82 goals. Morrison is on 52 now IIRC so with 12 games to go this season plus 2 more years of 40-50 matches depending on cup progress and whether we are in the playoffs or not, you’ve got to give him an outside chance at breaking that. 

8 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

Think Doug Moran is our all time top scorer with 82 goals. Morrison is on 52 now IIRC so with 12 games to go this season plus 2 more years of 40-50 matches depending on cup progress and whether we are in the playoffs or not, you’ve got to give him an outside chance at breaking that. 

I thought Kenny Dawson was our all time top scorer ? 

18 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I thought Kenny Dawson was our all time top scorer ? 

7 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

That's what I have too, with 283 goals. A figure that will never be beaten. 

Right enough. I’d never heard of Dawson but googled “Falkirk record scorer” and it gave me Moran with 82. I assume the site I looked at only has records going back to the mid-1950’s.

Even still, it’s very notable that Morrison has a realistic shot to become our most prolific marksman of the past 75 years or so. 

3 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

Right enough. I’d never heard of Dawson but googled “Falkirk record scorer” and it gave me Moran with 82. I assume the site I looked at only has records going back to the mid-1950’s.

Even still, it’s very notable that Morrison has a realistic shot to become our most prolific marksman of the past 75 years or so. 

My cousin and one of my best mates are Falkirk historians so it’s amazing the shite facts I know 😂.

2 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:

Terrific interview with Mccann too, wee man couldn't stop smiling. 

Yeats next and then Shanley, Ross and Tait can prove themselves worthy of being here next season over the next few months. Quality over quantity again this summer and we'll be in right good shape.

New
Yeats/Adams Coll Lang Mccann
Spencer Hendo
Morrison Nesbitt Miller
MacIver

Some of these will be squad players next season 

10 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

That's what I have too, with 283 goals. A figure that will never be beaten. 

When I started going to watch the Bairns as a kid in 19 "cough", all the old guys used to keep going on about Kenny Dawson..."Aye, he`ll never be as good as Kenny Dawson etc". Hadn`t a clue who Kenny Dawson was. Now I find myself in that category..."Aye, he couldny lace Johnny Graham`s boots etc"., and so it will go on!!😉

1 minute ago, 60`s bairn said:

When I started going to watch the Bairns as a kid in 19 "cough", all the old guys used to keep going on about Kenny Dawson..."Aye, he`ll never be as good as Kenny Dawson etc". Hadn`t a clue who Kenny Dawson was. 

Wow. So you're not actually old enough to have seen him play? 

A very quick look online shows he played for us just prior to the outbreak of WW2,  so I always assumed that was the era you were in your prime. 😛

here's a series question, has it taken a wee bit over two years ago after the shame of the inchyra to get things properly back on track? i feel it's early days and we need to be tested in the championship BUT the signs are all there, a management team that know what they're doing, supporters committed to the club in great numbers, a real connection with the players, a togetherness on and off the park, supporters funding the club and the fss growing, the early signs of an academy and a CEO and bod who seem to understand us and are pushing the club forward to be as good as we can be. what's the ceiling, where does the momentum peter out, or does it. how do we protect what we have and make it better, and stronger. what a past couple of weeks it's been, important players and the mgt team committing themselves to the club for two years, beating our nearest rivals again and bogey team within a matter of days.

4 minutes ago, AJ1981 said:

here's a series question, has it taken a wee bit over two years ago after the shame of the inchyra to get things properly back on track? i feel it's early days and we need to be tested in the championship BUT the signs are all there, a management team that know what they're doing, supporters committed to the club in great numbers, a real connection with the players, a togetherness on and off the park, supporters funding the club and the fss growing, the early signs of an academy and a CEO and bod who seem to understand us and are pushing the club forward to be as good as we can be. what's the ceiling, where does the momentum peter out, or does it. how do we protect what we have and make it better, and stronger. what a past couple of weeks it's been, important players and the mgt team committing themselves to the club for two years, beating our nearest rivals again and bogey team within a matter of days.

Yep, and it didn’t happen by accident. A whole club and support effort. And we need to persist.

The plan has to be not to allow it to peter out. There’ll obvs be a time when we’ll stop going up the way, at least for a bit, but that doesn’t mean we chuck everything out, just that we keep making our club better and adjust where we must. For now though, I think we just enjoy it.