The Falkirk FC Thread

Absolutely great to see Morrison sign, does that leave yeats as the only outfield player from our starting 11 not committed for next year?

With this extension Morrison could easily end up in the legends category, on that basic metric of goals scored he could be at 60 by the end of the season the way we are playing.

1 hour ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Wow. So you're not actually old enough to have seen him play? 

A very quick look online shows he played for us just prior to the outbreak of WW2,  so I always assumed that was the era you were in your prime. 😛

Come to think of it, you might be right, I have vague memories of you lifting me over the turnstiles.🤔

1 hour ago, AJ1981 said:

a management team that know what they're doing, supporters committed to the club in great numbers, a real connection with the players, a togetherness on and off the park, supporters funding the club and the fss growing, the early signs of an academy and a CEO and bod who seem to understand us and are pushing the club forward to be as good as we can be. what's the ceiling, where does the momentum peter out, or does it. how do we protect what we have and make it better, and stronger. what a past couple of weeks it's been, important players and the mgt team committing themselves to the club for two years, beating our nearest rivals again and bogey team within a matter of days.

Wont peter out yet. ‘Invincibles’ is another target this season. And before folk think I’ve jinxed it, Leon mentioned it in his pre-match interview. Suggests to me the players have been chattering and are aware of making more history. Here’s hoping for a season like no other.

Edited by GunnerBairn

4 minutes ago, GunnerBairn said:

Wont peter out yet. ‘Invincibles’ is another target this season. And before folk think I’ve jinxed it, Leon mentioned it in his pre-match interview. Suggests to me the players have been chattering and are aware of making more history. Here’s hoping for a season like no other.

I was quite glad to hear him mention that. Everyone knows and it and the players being motivated to achieve it will hopefully mean they come flying out the traps every week.

Based on the comments of a few other managers I think most teams view getting a point of us as a bonus so think we have a bit of a psychological edge over teams at the minute.

As the season comes closer to the finish there will be teams who want to spoil the party if we are on course for that but that's something the team will need to deal with if and when. 

6 hours ago, Springfield said:

If there’s a time for any fans who have drifted/stopped attending over the past few years, there’s no time like the present to bury the bad, and get yourselves back. We’ve got half a dozen home games that we need to have the stadium bouncing. An extra couple of thousand fans helps get deals like today over the line.

Get TFS packed for the remaining games and there will be more in the kitty for Yeats and Shanley (although Shanley may have been budgeted for with the 1 year option). It could enable the club to finance offers / PCAs / loans for Ross and Tait for next season. I think while our irons are hot and the feel good factor is here, we need to act fast in securing these players if possible. The happy dressing room helps to persuade these players that we are the place to be, so they’d want to be part of it. Makes negotiations easier. If the said players were to stay we’d have a pretty decent squad in the Championship. 

Edited by GunnerBairn

10 hours ago, Big chungus said:

I’ve always wondered is it a case of Raith chucking loads of money at it? Or do they just have a manager and a board that can identify some really good players for this level. The likes of Dylan Easton, Scott brown, Connolly were just really nifty signings. I doubt there was a long line of clubs that had bigger budgets than Raith rovers wanting to sign them. Vaughn came through their youth academy and the likes of Ashcroft, rudden, and turner have most like just seen that Raith is a good club to join at the moment. Will they really be offering these players shitloads more than Dunfermline or Patrick thistle? All being said I don’t doubt they have spent money this year but they are getting the fans through the gate to pay for all this. 3rd highest attendance in the championship I think. 

They are chucking fortunes at it. Don’t worry about that 

I might be wrong but isn’t Ethan’s contract with Raith up at the end of the season. Getting him signed up on a pca and a contract extension for Finn would be superb.  

I have every faith that John and Paul will be working on it and other targets.  

Edited by Harry Kinnear

Controversial but so far I don’t think Ross, Shanley or Tait have shown enough to warrant a contract for a division above. This can change with the final 12 games, but I think we have to be really careful here. That’s 3 full wages - a wage that could be spent on quality which we will absolutely need if we go up. 

2 hours ago, BPM said:

They are chucking fortunes at it. Don’t worry about that 

They certainly must be. When you look at the signings they made in the summer they certainly must've outbid a decent number of sides for the likes of Hamilton , dabrowski and mullin. Likes of Byrne, Rudden and Ashcroft's wages won't be peanuts either. They are going all in for getting up this season. Crowds have been better but despite having 6000 and 7000 plus against United and 5500 plus against Dunfermline they are still averaging less than us.

34 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

Controversial but so far I don’t think Ross, Shanley or Tait have shown enough to warrant a contract for a division above. This can change with the final 12 games, but I think we have to be really careful here. That’s 3 full wages - a wage that could be spent on quality which we will absolutely need if we go up. 

Agree 100%

Ross I think is ahead of the other two at this point but we haven't seen anything like enough from the other 2 to think they'll cut it in the Championship.  At the time we took the loan, Raith fans were saying Ross was one of their higher earners too so he won't come cheap. 

Overall we've had a brilliant season and we absolutely should be getting carried away but I hope McGlynn is keeping his feet on the ground.  Not all our players who've done really well this year will replicate that in the league up.  Defensively we'll lose many more goals and be under a lot more pressure in games than we've been this year.  Physically too we need to be up to the test.  

I'd like to see a new keeper, some more strength in defence/full back cover and someone like Martin for the midfield.  Shanley is nowhere near as strong as MacIvor (based on what we've seen) so would like some stronger cover and if I'm being greedy someone with a decent scoring record to challenge up top.  

We can't get all that if we extend the 3 mentioned plus anyone like Oliver or the keepers. 

1 hour ago, Harry Kinnear said:

I might be wrong but isn’t Ethan’s contract with Raith up at the end of the season. Getting him signed up on a pca and a contract extension for Finn would be superb.  

Taking the Falkirk rose tinted specs off for a second, from Ethan’s point of view, there’s the potential to be playing in the Premier if Raith went up and offered him an extension on more money. So the out of contract players will be weighing up scenarios of their own. With that in mind, (per bairn88’s comments)  perhaps a little caution with the club’s purse is a good thing.

I'd be giving Ross a contract for next season, not convinced about Tait and Shanley yet though. The good thing as we have seen with the contract extensions is we can start planning for next season already which will hopefully give us an advantage 

Based on nothing more than who has caught my eye at other clubs in league 1 I'd hope we'd be looking at

Ryan Fulton

Scott Martin 

Reece Lyon

Lewis Gibson

Taylor Steven

Blair Lyons 

Joe McGlynn

Bobby Wales (loan)

Euan Henderson 

Obviously we can't bring all these guys in or we'd have a ridiculously imbalanced squad, and in reality some robust defensive cover is probably highest on McGlynn's list now. Overall his recruitment has been very good and getting signings done early will hopefully mean we can hit the ground running next season 

1 hour ago, bairn88 said:

Tait is the best footballer technically we have. We must try and get him. Absolute Rolls Royce. Made an impact in the 3 games he has come on in. 

16 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

I'd be giving Ross a contract for next season, not convinced about Tait and Shanley yet though. The good thing as we have seen with the contract extensions is we can start planning for next season already which will hopefully give us an advantage 

Based on nothing more than who has caught my eye at other clubs in league 1 I'd hope we'd be looking at

Ryan Fulton

Scott Martin 

Reece Lyon

Lewis Gibson

Taylor Steven

Blair Lyons 

Joe McGlynn

Bobby Wales (loan)

Euan Henderson 

Obviously we can't bring all these guys in or we'd have a ridiculously imbalanced squad, and in reality some robust defensive cover is probably highest on McGlynn's list now. Overall his recruitment has been very good and getting signings done early will hopefully mean we can hit the ground running next season 

Fulton yes, and I actually thought the TNS goalie was decent, and the Edinburgh City goalie McAdams who had a worldie against us at Meadowbank - match 1.

Taylor Steven yes please, very much.

Edited by GunnerBairn