The Falkirk FC Thread

Posted (edited)

Dipped my toe into Twitter there, Aberdeen fans in particular seem keen to rubbish the statement 🤷🏻‍♂️

The only positive case being touted so far for the ban is the suggestion that it gives teams an advantage - seems strange that teams are happy to fork out thousands on an untried player when simply ditching grass is such a sure fire way to improve things.

Edited by Ned Nederlander

26 minutes ago, Jimmy1876 said:

As an aside, I think Airdrie were involved in the initial paper. The badge is on the first page as is Cove rangers. I guess they just didn't want to be involved in the public joint statement? 

Thought it would be in Airdries interest to be part of the group. 

2 minutes ago, Ned Nederlander said:

The only positive case being touted so far for the ban is the suggestion that it gives teams an advantage

It's such a lazy argument as well. Firstly, every club which has played on an artificial surface has been relegated. Secondly, clubs often train on them.

12 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Thought it would be in Airdries interest to be part of the group. 

Strange one, would be interesting to know why airdrie and cove aren't part of the public statement considering they've put the effort into the paper.

1 hour ago, Hisingdoon said:

https://www.falkirkfc.co.uk/2024/05/22/spfl-proposal-to-ban-artificial-pitches-in-the-scottish-premiership/
Joint statement between us, hamilton, raith and QOTS about the proposal to ban plastic pitches

Well done to the clubs for saying what this really is. A barrier to entry on par with the 10k rule

The top flight clubs simply see the rest of Scottish football as second class citizens. The spread of wealth is shocking and apart from the relegated team basically getting a premium drop down budget to get a quick return, the monies spread to the other thirty clubs is obscene. TBH Ive watched a few top flight games and the overall standard is at best average. 

Hopefully this statement starts something with other clubs that have plastic pitches coming out and saying they do not want this vote to go ahead but if they do they need to be quick with it as it’s happening on Monday I think

2 hours ago, HIT THE CHANNEL said:

I posted the below on the Raith Rovers thread but anted to share it here as well just in case it is helpful because I know Falkirk fans groups and those connected to the club read this thread.

That is a really good statement (as an aside it seems very odd that Airdrie are not involved?).

I really hope the ban can be avoided. The proposed quality assurance solutions seem so obviously sound that the ban cannot be conceived as anything other than petulance and/or selfishness. It also reeks of something that, if banned, will become unbanned in a few years (like the 10k seats rule).

I know people form the club read this page - I wonder if, should no backing down occur regarding the vote, it would be a good idea to get MSPs/local councillors involved  to raise awareness/pressure (writing to them, asking them to raise the issue through appropriate committees, get them to publicly support the joint proposal etc.). I imagine the community element would be a strong card. 

I think the lobbying side of this is so important. The Falkirk Supporters Society has started this by contacting some elected officials and received positive noises back. There's far more that can be done though and I think weight in numbers would be important. The more who make a noise, the harder it is to ignore. 

“A 24-year-old man was arrested over possession of an offensive weapon.”

It was deepest darkest Fife, & he was found to be carrying a concealed wallet!😂🤣😂

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c888qgg4qn5o?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR1DZQz7dBdUbEJ7hfDpANkRLidL20QQWPYusBBoVnnBVINde1ETholcLBQ_aem_AWZccz6Yw-Bqo75XXoIWQLDiqeMRjhUpiWIsGpRrTj7_Gd4Ab0dvMgVMtnC_omZd-blqY4lG_JSL8W5todjDHWsd

3 hours ago, HIT THE CHANNEL said:

I posted the below on the Raith Rovers thread but anted to share it here as well just in case it is helpful because I know Falkirk fans groups and those connected to the club read this thread.

That is a really good statement (as an aside it seems very odd that Airdrie are not involved?).

I really hope the ban can be avoided. The proposed quality assurance solutions seem so obviously sound that the ban cannot be conceived as anything other than petulance and/or selfishness. It also reeks of something that, if banned, will become unbanned in a few years (like the 10k seats rule).

I know people form the club read this page - I wonder if, should no backing down occur regarding the vote, it would be a good idea to get MSPs/local councillors involved  to raise awareness/pressure (writing to them, asking them to raise the issue through appropriate committees, get them to publicly support the joint proposal etc.). I imagine the community element would be a strong card. 

The bigger the numbers in protest the better. The nuke option would be to go on effective ‘strike’ and ‘disrupt’ the administration of the SPFL executive. For instance, every club outwith the top 12, (with artficial surface or not),  should band together and refuse to enter their names in to league fixture lists. Sometimes direct action is the only way to be heard and it would send a strong signal that those clubs outside the top flight have a right to fair hearing.

When they inevitably vote it in is there really a point in getting promoted. 800k on a new grass park and 100k a year for the boner killer in VAR.

Win the championship and do a Buckie Thistle?

7 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:

Steven Warnock released from Killie would have had him in to challenge Nesbitt for the position at 10. Can also play on either wing or further back in the middle of the park. 

Diminutive but a very good footballer with plenty of talent.

According to a Livvy supporting mate, we enquired about their young winger Steven Bradley in January but Livvy knocked us back despite the lad being keen. Now Bradley’s been released and the rumour from Livvy is that McGlynns’s back in for him. Would make sense if Ethan Ross isn’t coming back, a like for like winger replacement.

2 minutes ago, GunnerBairn said:

According to a Livvy supporting mate, we enquired about their young winger Steven Bradley in January but Livvy knocked us back despite the lad being keen. Now Bradley’s been released and the rumour from Livvy is that McGlynns’s back in for him. Would make sense if Ethan Ross isn’t coming back, a like for like winger replacement.

He's not been released he's under contract but has requested a transfer so I doubt they'll let him go to a team in the same league.

8 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

Harry Stone supposedly signing on loan at Ayr

Chris Kane goes to the Pars on a 2 year deal 

Would be gutting as Murray Johnston wil probably end up at Airdrie again. 

Kane's a good signing for the scum, 5 goals in 10 games for them last season.

2 hours ago, Bairney The Dinosaur said:

I think the lobbying side of this is so important. The Falkirk Supporters Society has started this by contacting some elected officials and received positive noises back. There's far more that can be done though and I think weight in numbers would be important. The more who make a noise, the harder it is to ignore. 

Looks like the majority in numbers prefer the club to go forward with a grass pitch going by a poll on the COYB page.

1 hour ago, FFC 1876 said:

When they inevitably vote it in is there really a point in getting promoted. 800k on a new grass park and 100k a year for the boner killer in VAR.

Win the championship and do a Buckie Thistle?

Personally i would prefer it if the top division was not there! In the Championship we have a chance of winning the league but lets face it with the money the arse cheeks have winning the Premier is a almost impossibility. 

We should turn things around.

"Commencing Scottish football league season 2025/26, all clubs being relegated from the Scottish Premiership to the Championship must have a Championship League compliant plastic pitch or they will not be accepted".

If they can have their own wee set of rules, so can we.

F*ck 'em.

This is happening and we need to get our heads around it. Our efforts have to be to obtain compensation for any club who has to rip up their pitches. 
I personally prefer a good grass pitch but the surface we have down now is excellent and way better than many grass pitches you see from December until very late in the season.