The Falkirk FC Thread

47 minutes ago, BPM said:

This is happening and we need to get our heads around it. Our efforts have to be to obtain compensation for any club who has to rip up their pitches. 
I personally prefer a good grass pitch but the surface we have down now is excellent and way better than many grass pitches you see from December until very late in the season. 

Don't usually agree with you but I do here. I also much prefer grass pitches but our current artificial one is decent. 

Compensation for the re turfing is the answer.

I have half-a-memory that we had a decent drainage system installed when the stadium when up, something to do with the ponds between the stadium and the Falkirk Road side.  Anyone else remember?

2 hours ago, Bairn in Exile said:

We should turn things around.

"Commencing Scottish football league season 2025/26, all clubs being relegated from the Scottish Premiership to the Championship must have a Championship League compliant plastic pitch or they will not be accepted".

If they can have their own wee set of rules, so can we.

F*ck 'em.

My thoughts exactly.

Play them at their own game and show the farce that allowing subsets of their membership to vote on issues that affect the whole is!

The SPFL top-flight and its administrators have done more to kill off the game in Scotland than promote it with these protectionist measures.

28 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

Bit disappointed to hear Stone has gone to Ayr, was looking forward to him coming to us. Hopefully we have someone else decent in the pipeline.

Dont think thats confirmed, looks to me that it was just a QotS supporter recommending him as a potential keeper for them, and someone else assuming that meant a deal had been made. I could be wrong.

4 minutes ago, SouthStander1876 said:

Dont think thats confirmed, looks to me that it was just a QotS supporter recommending him as a potential keeper for them, and someone else assuming that meant a deal had been made. I could be wrong.

No, think you maybe right there.

11 hours ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

Harry Stone supposedly signing on loan at Ayr

If that's true then Stone is a really good signing for Ayr would have definitely taken him at Accies. Stone for me was by far the best keeper in L1 this season and if it wasn't for him I don't think QOTS would have stayed up. 

10 hours ago, Latapy is god said:

Looks like the majority in numbers prefer the club to go forward with a grass pitch going by a poll on the COYB page.

A good grass pitch would be my preference too. I don't think that's particularly the issue though and more to do with a straight yes/no vote on banning them. 

There are multiple sustainable ways to transition to grass pitches or ensure a standard of pitch in the top flight. 

1. A grace period for promoted clubs

2. Financial support (Netherlands model)

3. Minimum standards for grass and artificial surfaces

11 hours ago, Latapy is god said:

Looks like the majority in numbers prefer the club to go forward with a grass pitch going by a poll on the COYB page.

I think the long term ambition should definitely be for the club to return to a grass pitch. However, the current proposal would force any promoted club with an artificial surface to use most of their playing budget to tear up and replace a perfectly adequate surface.

That is not good from a fairness or competitive perspective, as the promoted side would be virtually guaranteed to go straight back down. 

23 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

I think the long term ambition should definitely be for the club to return to a grass pitch. However, the current proposal would force any promoted club with an artificial surface to use most of their playing budget to tear up and replace a perfectly adequate surface.

That is not good from a fairness or competitive perspective, as the promoted side would be virtually guaranteed to go straight back down. 

Exactly, In an ideal world we would have a grass pitch. This is not an ideal world.  The money required for a club at our level to maintain a good grass pitch could be better spent elsewhere. that goes for almost every club in Scotland

3 hours ago, StuartA said:

I have half-a-memory that we had a decent drainage system installed when the stadium when up, something to do with the ponds between the stadium and the Falkirk Road side.  Anyone else remember?

Yes, that`s my recollection too. 

36 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Exactly, In an ideal world we would have a grass pitch. This is not an ideal world.  The money required for a club at our level to maintain a good grass pitch could be better spent elsewhere. that goes for almost every club in Scotland

At the end of the day we can argue or debate till the cows come home. Scottish football is run by a certain few and it will never change. Even the format of the play offs are an absolute disgrace. 

1 minute ago, Springfield said:

At the end of the day we can argue or debate till the cows come home. Scottish football is run by a certain few and it will never change. Even the format of the play offs are an absolute disgrace. 

INDEED. The fat that in 10 years 70% of the play offs have been won by the 11th place team despite them only making 25% of the teams involved show how much it favours the premier team. 

It should be semi finals then finals at a neutral venue ( not hampden, that would be shite) but one with suitable capacity and distance from both teams, I get that some years this will be harder than others and your giving the SPFL way to much chance to make an utter c**t of things, but that's how it should be

10 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Can’t agree that the playoff route is wrong. It can’t be right for the 4th placed team in the Championship to be promoted to the detriment of teams finishing higher. There has to be some form of additional challenge for them to gain promotion from such a low finishing position.

Certainly agree that the SPFL top division are carving their own portion of the cake in how they operate, and I don’t agree that clubs should be being forced to adopt grass pitches when it puts their financial future at serious risk. The recommendations of the 4 club report make complete sense to me and I’m really annoyed that these are being ignored.

When is this plan to bring in a football regulator coming into play? This is the sort of thing that we need such a body for..,

28 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Can’t agree that the playoff route is wrong. It can’t be right for the 4th placed team in the Championship to be promoted to the detriment of teams finishing higher. There has to be some form of additional challenge for them to gain promotion from such a low finishing position.

Certainly agree that the SPFL top division are carving their own portion of the cake in how they operate, and I don’t agree that clubs should be being forced to adopt grass pitches when it puts their financial future at serious risk. The recommendations of the 4 club report make complete sense to me and I’m really annoyed that these are being ignored.

When is this plan to bring in a football regulator coming into play? This is the sort of thing that we need such a body for..,

11th & 12th auto relegation. 4th vs 3rd over 2 legs, winner of that plays 2nd in the final over 2 legs or 1 game at a neutral venue.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, SouthStander1876 said:

11th & 12th auto relegation. 4th vs 3rd over 2 legs, winner of that plays 2nd in the final over 2 legs or 1 game at a neutral venue.

This! Reward teams that are at the top end of a league winning games rather than teams that have failed and ended up at the bottom of a league. Success should always be rewarded but our play off system rewards failure by allowing a team finishing 2nd last the easiest route. In England they just relegate you, down you go you’ve been shite all season! No play offs for you! 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

I'd be all for sucking it up if there was a legitimate reason to ban plastic - the vote is based on misconceptions and unfounded prejudice

TFS hosted two games in 24 hours when Dundee were struggling to get one game on in weeks

Scottish football is an absolute clusterf'ck.

Posted (edited)

The difference is it’s a 12 team league, not a 20 club league. It’s not so long ago we only had one up and one down. I’m fairly happy with the playoff system as it means that clubs that fail to win the championship get a chance to prove they are better than the 11th Premiership team.

However, the real issue for discussion is the ridiculous ill thought through decision to scrap decent playing surfaces from the top flight for ones like Dundee…,

ps. Remember that not having a game against the 11th placed premiership team would have deprived us of the biggest point and laugh moment of recent years when Hibs got relegated by Hamilton after winning 2-0 away. Even worse we would be saddled with moneybags Ross County in our division next season for certain….

Edited by roman_bairn

I don't mind that 11th has a chance to save themselves

But the format should absolutely follow the other divisions eg two semi finals with the winners playing a final, rather than the current nonsense. That would swing the 70-30 survival chance of the Premiership side the other way. You could even have the final as a single game at a neutral venue like they do in England

11 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

I don't mind that 11th has a chance to save themselves

But the format should absolutely follow the other divisions eg two semi finals with the winners playing a final, rather than the current nonsense. That would swing the 70-30 survival chance of the Premiership side the other way. You could even have the final as a single game at a neutral venue like they do in England

Even that doesn't make sense, I've always been of the mind that a team who finishes 4th in a 10 team league does not deserve even a slight chance at promotion to the top flight. It should be 11th vs 2nd and be done with it, albeit the Championship team then gains an edge by having less games to play and some recovery time, but so be it.