The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, StuartA said:

It’s interesting to read other fans’ views of our players and manager, especially Raith. They certainly don’t subscribe to our optimism, though they are basing their analysis on performances from a couple of years ago. It’ll be interesting to see how these players kick-on now they’re back in the Championship.

Yes, there’s a jump in standard, of course there is. But it isn’t huge, based in part on our defeating four of them last season and others the season before. And I wonder how much advantage a settled side with a full pre-season will be. 

9 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Not getting the fear about the standard of the Championship.

Obviously a better standard but recently promoted teams have more than held their own and with all respect to Airdrie and the Fifers we have a stronger squad than the ones they were promoted with ( cue irrelevant Airdrie posts about the playoff debacle ! ).

Certainly won’t be another Invincible season or anything like it but I think we have enough about us to be challenging for the promotion playoffs.

I feel the recent newly promoted teams have, overall, done pretty well.

19-20 Arbroarh - 5th

20-21 Raith - 3rd

21-22 Partick - 4th

22-23 Queen’s Park - 3rd and Cove - 10th

23-24 Airdrie - 4th and the Pars - 6th

Midtable, but you could argue that the Pars under performed due to injuries and should have done better. It seems to show that newly promoted teams have a pretty decent shot at the promotion playoffs, IF they can avoid the injury bug. I think where the “Quality” of the Championship tends to come in is the generally competitive nature, in that there is much less separating at least second through ninth in the Championship than in almost any other league.

If Falkirk have a large/diverse enough squad to ride the injuries that will occur, I’d expect between third and sixth. Second seems a little much but seventh or eighth likewise seems pessimistic. I do think that many are underestimating the step up in competitiveness, but your noted consistency and results certainly suggest you’re up for it.

JMcG is a question mark. We’ve had our experience, but yours will, of course, likely vary. Last season he mostly avoided the second half slide we became accustomed to, so this season will make an interesting comparison,

Looks like anything upwards of 52 points puts a team in with a chance of play-offs, and 60 more or less guarantees it. Probably nearer the lower end given the competitiveness and absence of a clear write-off, Brechin-style side* so 13-15pts a quarter. I suppose we’ll have a grasp of how realistic that is by October, but I am looking forward to it. 

*other than Morton, obvs. 

Transfer activity across the division(s) seems less busy this preseason, but plenty of time for change and last minute and often panic buy/loan. We’ve done our business very early and probably at best one/two still to come in, whether it’s loans or a surprise one or two.
I’ve no idea how it will pan out, but still stick with any team finishing above RR & PT will be thereabouts.

31 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Transfer activity across the division(s) seems less busy this preseason, but plenty of time for change and last minute and often panic buy/loan. We’ve done our business very early and probably at best one/two still to come in, whether it’s loans or a surprise one or two.
I’ve no idea how it will pan out, but still stick with any team finishing above RR & PT will be thereabouts.

unless I'm losing my mind every interview and podcast has said a squad of 20 senior players and the modern apprentices. we have a squad of 21. why is there any thought and you're not alone in this thought @Springfield we will have any more signings?  

Football is a game of wheeling and dealing. Owing to a few factors such as McGlynns contacts, reputation, style of play, the season we've just had and the fact we are #massive, I am certain the way it works is that McGlynns phone will be going nuts with loan offers come August. 

I'd be amazed if, in mid June, he was happy to close doors and say "il be saying no to loans that come my way."

There's absolutely zero point in speculating on here whether this is the squad we go forward with because we've seen many, many times over the years, football in summer is an agile business. 

34 minutes ago, AJ1981 said:

unless I'm losing my mind every interview and podcast has said a squad of 20 senior players and the modern apprentices. we have a squad of 21. why is there any thought and you're not alone in this thought @Springfield we will have any more signings?  

I have nothing to support my post other than 1. Allan will not feature and will either be loaned or a token few quid comes our way. 2. We found ourselves short of CBs and thankfully we didn’t have this issue earlier in season. 3. CF. Still think we’re needing cover.

I might be way off mark but as others have posted, I don’t think McGlynn is finished in the market. 

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

Ayr have signed 6 players including Scott McMann today who had a very good season for Dundee United last season.

They appear to have one of the bigger budgets in the league.

36 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

I still think we will get one or two loan signings as I can’t see John not using that option. Maybe a CH and a forward.

Likewise, I also think one or two loan signings (CH and Striker) would see the squad all but complete. Could also see Allan possibly move on or loaned out again to finance some of it. 

1 hour ago, AJ1981 said:

Interviews were all before our season ticket sales though which are at least 500 over what was planned plus FSS have just reached 1000 members and all that is going to the football budget. Surely that's all reasonable reasons to expect another 1 or 2 signings? The only thing I can think otherwise is if money now has to be saved towards a potential grass pitch.

23 minutes ago, Springfield said:

I have nothing to support my post other than 1. Allan will not feature and will either be loaned or a token few quid comes our way. 2. We found ourselves short of CBs and thankfully we didn’t have this issue earlier in season. 3. CF. Still think we’re needing cover.

I might be way off mark but as others have posted, I don’t think McGlynn is finished in the market. 

Obviously squad size has been spoken about before with numbers being quoted but simply put, if we are doing better commercially than expected then the BOD will give McGlynn the funds to bolster the squad

29 minutes ago, Jimmy1876 said:

The only thing I can think otherwise is if money now has to be saved towards a potential grass pitch.

The higher up the Championship we finish, the prize money would help towards some of the cash required for a new grass pitch. A roundabout way of paying it off fully is get promoted to the Prem then relegated again (!) using the parachute payment to clear it. Any Cup runs, increased  FSS subscriptions, increased ST sales, and improved commercial and hospitality numbers (hopefully) makes us well placed to ride out the unexpected cost of a new grass pitch. A wee bit of luck would also be nice. I’m no expert on business bank loans, but surely the Club could arrange a bank loan for the installation of a new grass pitch, so say we needed £1.5m in total, if the Club could stump up £750k (half) then we would only need to borrow £750k for the remainder. Like a ‘mortgage’, the higher the deposit the more likely the loan would be granted?

Edited by GunnerBairn

3 hours ago, StuartA said:

Looks like anything upwards of 52 points puts a team in with a chance of play-offs, and 60 more or less guarantees it. Probably nearer the lower end given the competitiveness and absence of a clear write-off, Brechin-style side* so 13-15pts a quarter. I suppose we’ll have a grasp of how realistic that is by October, but I am looking forward to it. 

*other than Morton, obvs. 

Average 4th place since 94-95 has been 56 points (totals for the two shortened seasons adjusted to estimated 36 match total, and the Pars and Dundee deductions discounted for the same reason)….with a highest needed of 60 (or 59 and the tie-breaker) in 99-00 and a lowest needed of 44 (or 43 and the tie-breaker) in 15-16. That being said, you’re spot-on, as 51 is the long term average for 5th place.

Currently it’s: 1st - 74, 2nd - 65, 3rd -59, 4th - 56, 5th - 51, 6th - 46, 7th - 42, 8th - 39, 9th - 35, 10th - 25.

Most seasons 1st and 10th become clear pretty quickly, and the other two groups of 2nd-5th and 6th-9th shake out by Christmas.

This season there are a lot of unknowns, what will Livi really do, are Ayr really gearing up for an attempt, will the Accies try for more than mid table, were Airdrie a one trick pony, can Falkirk translate League One success after the promotion, which Morton will show, is Queen’s Park serious this time, have Raith got it this time, will Patrick’s spend pay off, can the Pars stay healthy?

Edited by TxRover

13 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Average 4th place since 94-95 has been 56 points (totals for the two shortened seasons adjusted to estimated 36 match total, and the Pars and Dundee deductions discounted for the same reason)….with a highest needed of 60 (or 59 and the tie-breaker) in 99-00 and a lowest needed of 44 (or 43 and the tie-breaker) in 15-16. That being said, you’re spot-on, as 51 is the long term average for 5th place.

Currently it’s: 1st - 74, 2nd - 65, 3rd -59, 4th - 56, 5th - 51, 6th - 46, 7th - 42, 8th - 39, 9th - 35, 10th - 25.

Most seasons 1st and 10th become clear pretty quickly, and the other two groups of 2nd-5th and 6th-9th shake out by Christmas.

This season there are a lot of unknowns, what will Livi really do, are Ayr really gearing up for an attempt, will the Accies try for more than mid table, were Airdrie a one trick pony, can Falkirk translate League One success after the promotion, which Morton will show, is Queen’s Park serious this time, have Raith got it this time, will Patrick’s spend pay off, can the Pars stay healthy?

That’s interesting. I still think that Plastic and Raith are favourites, and Ayr are showing intent. Livi are splashing cash, even though it feels a bit Hartley-ish. I think at least 3 of these 4 will be up there. The rest? No idea. 

I will be happy with a 4th to 6th place position tbh, anything above that I'd be absolutely ecstatic for first season back. Finishing 7th or less would be disappointing but with how competitive it is the ultimate goal is to stay up and consolidate. 

4 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Football is a game of wheeling and dealing. Owing to a few factors such as McGlynns contacts, reputation, style of play, the season we've just had and the fact we are #massive, I am certain the way it works is that McGlynns phone will be going nuts with loan offers come August. 

I'd be amazed if, in mid June, he was happy to close doors and say "il be saying no to loans that come my way."

There's absolutely zero point in speculating on here whether this is the squad we go forward with because we've seen many, many times over the years, football in summer is an agile business. 

At present i totally trust JM and i am sure he knows better than anyone on here what we do and dont need and will use any cash wisely

3 hours ago, GunnerBairn said:

The higher up the Championship we finish, the prize money would help towards some of the cash required for a new grass pitch. A roundabout way of paying it off fully is get promoted to the Prem then relegated again (!) using the parachute payment to clear it. Any Cup runs, increased  FSS subscriptions, increased ST sales, and improved commercial and hospitality numbers (hopefully) makes us well placed to ride out the unexpected cost of a new grass pitch. A wee bit of luck would also be nice. I’m no expert on business bank loans, but surely the Club could arrange a bank loan for the installation of a new grass pitch, so say we needed £1.5m in total, if the Club could stump up £750k (half) then we would only need to borrow £750k for the remainder. Like a ‘mortgage’, the higher the deposit the more likely the loan would be granted?

Another loan to help fund the club?  Imo investment is what is needed.

3 hours ago, Rocco said:

Obviously squad size has been spoken about before with numbers being quoted but simply put, if we are doing better commercially than expected then the BOD will give McGlynn the funds to bolster the squad

As the lady said size does not matter its what you do with it!