The Falkirk FC Thread

21 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

Just watched both ours and Raiths highlights and we were very guilty of taking too long to get shots off. Alfie a good two or three times and Keelan in the first half could have shot. Also yesterday we didn’t seem to have the confidence to have a ping from outside the box like we usually do.

Agree with all of this. Alfie was guilty of taking 2 or 3 touches when he should just have had the confidence to hit it first time. Likewise I thought Hendo and Graham late in the second half could have hit a long ranger and didn't. When the defence is as packed as it was yesterday you sometimes need to take a long ranger or hit it early. Spencer and Tait normally find a bit of space to hit one or two a game also. The fact the highlights package (Falkirk) was less than 5 mins long tells it all really about the opportunities created.

Edited by bridge of allan bairn

I thought the performance was way below what we've all become accustomed to, with very poor passing, but the injury list took it's toll and we were weakened. Not just that but I reckon there was a mental 'hangover' from Parkhead instead of a physical one for the players, having put so much in a week before. They looked a little jaded. The stars aligned for Raith and they took full advantage, pressing us all over the pitch. They obviously peppered it with 'going down injured' gamesmanship and the statutory timewasting antics, along with their 12th man in the ref, who was completely awful. Having said that, we still showed our danger in flashes and I felt Raith would've collapsed if we managed to score a goal, but not to be. That would've been Raith's best showing of the season and judging by their full time celebrations, beating Falkirk was a massive achievement. We move on and start again with a very tasty tie vs Ayr next week. Back home at last(!) and bring it on.

Edited by GunnerBairn

1 hour ago, Harry Kinnear said:

Just watched both ours and Raiths highlights and we were very guilty of taking too long to get shots off. Alfie a good two or three times and Keelan in the first half could have shot. Also yesterday we didn’t seem to have the confidence to have a ping from outside the box like we usually do.

That's by far the thing I'm most frustrated about. We looked so hesitant in front of goal for some reason. 

Far from our best showing by the way. We were better against Livingston and Hamilton by a long shot dominating both games but as McGlynn said, we leaked goals.

We were also guilty of downing tools in the latter part of the second half, potentially due to fitness so delaying the game/gamesmanship or whatever you want to call it worked and has worked against us at times too.

I felt we could have been 2/3 up at half time and thought Falkirk created only 1 maybe 2 clear chances on goal the whole game.

Your fans were superb though, a credit to the club.

21 minutes ago, ARaithFan said:

Far from our best showing by the way. We were better against Livingston and Hamilton by a long shot dominating both games but as McGlynn said, we leaked goals.

We were also guilty of downing tools in the latter part of the second half, potentially due to fitness so delaying the game/gamesmanship or whatever you want to call it worked and has worked against us at times too.

I felt we could have been 2/3 up at half time and thought Falkirk created only 1 maybe 2 clear chances on goal the whole game.

Your fans were superb though, a credit to the club.

2 or 3 up by HT? Not sure about that, to be perfectly honest. Was a really poor game from both sides and a draw would have been the right outcome but ah well.

2 minutes ago, Raybowski89 said:

2 or 3 up by HT? Not sure about that, to be perfectly honest. Was a really poor game from both sides and a draw would have been the right outcome but ah well.

I know they were up the other end but Jesus Christ two or three up is laughable.  It was a nil nil draw we handed to Raith with the penalty. Otherwise both teams were pretty poor on the day with both keepers having nothing to do. 

43 minutes ago, GunnerBairn said:

I thought the performance was way below what we've all become accustomed to, with very poor passing, but the injury list took it's toll and we were weakened. Not just that but I reckon there was a mental 'hangover' from Parkhead instead of a physical one for the players, having put so much in a week before. They looked a little jaded. The stars aligned for Raith and they took full advantage, pressing us all over the pitch. They obviously peppered it with 'going down injured' gamesmanship and the statutory timewasting antics, along with their 12th man in the ref, who was completely awful. Having said that, we still showed our danger in flashes and I felt Raith would've collapsed if we managed to score a goal, but not to be. That would've been Raith's best showing of the season and judging by their full time celebrations, beating Falkirk was a massive achievement. We move on and start again with a very tasty tie vs Ayr next week. Back home at last(!) and bring it on.

We played better last week, but had a stupid penalty given against us, and then had a speculative offside against us for the fourth goal. 

Given we had thrown away winning positions against Ayr and Hamilton it wasn't a surprise to see us shut up shop. Spencer could've been off for a second yellow but for the good grace of the referee. 

It's a first win for Neil Collins and ended a horrendous run of results. We've had far bigger celebrations over the last calendar year at Starks whether it's been winning two derbies, beating Dundee United with a last minute winner, and getting to the playoff finals. Yesterday was pretty tame compared to all of those. 

7 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

We played better last week, but had a stupid penalty given against us, and then had a speculative offside against us for the fourth goal. 

Given we had thrown away winning positions against Ayr and Hamilton it wasn't a surprise to see us shut up shop. Spencer could've been off for a second yellow but for the good grace of the referee. 

It's a first win for Neil Collins and ended a horrendous run of results. We've had far bigger celebrations over the last calendar year at Starks whether it's been winning two derbies, beating Dundee United with a last minute winner, and getting to the playoff finals. Yesterday was pretty tame compared to all of those. 

Considering your lot were title contenders last season, I thought the antics your players resorted to were pretty embarrassing tbh. 

25 minutes ago, Raybowski89 said:

Considering your lot were title contenders last season, I thought the antics your players resorted to were pretty embarrassing tbh.

It's game management and it's fantastic for pulling out sour grapes. I've absolutely no doubt Falkirk would've done the same in a similar position and will have done the same across last season at points. Similarly, we've had the same done to ourselves by the likes of Caley and Queens Park since the start of the calendar year. 

5 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Bit of a worry Nicky in his interview saying we may have picked up a few more injuries which would also explain how fed upcglynn looked in his interview. Wonder if that's why Mackie went off.

I think Mackie got taken off so Leon could try and get forward. He didn’t look like he was carrying a knock or anything.

Ethan Ross looked like he’d picked up an injury as he asked to come off

Edited by Rocco