The Falkirk FC Thread

I didn't say the sacking was undeserved. He absolutely had to go, but I think the chanting was out of order.

Right.

So he deserved to get sacked but chanting for him to go is too far?

No even trying to make sense of that one.

All very early but what Saturday said to me is we have a target man we can hoof a ball to yet decide to play centre halves to supply him, a striker wide left and tall bloke wide right who can run fast(pity a ball is required)

I don't think we have a Falkirk way of playing but generally we have tried to play on the deck for the last 20 odd year given the fact we have had countless target men who haven't quite worked for us and usually cause we don't play to their strengths.

We did go route one aplenty under Houston usually last 10-15 mins which won us a few points with long throws, that crept into our game again on Saturday and I see it as our tactic with Haber. I haven't a problem with it but Haber has a poor injury record and I shudder to think of our strike force minus him.

I personally feel so far we have around 4 players(maybe more)signed that won't be good enough and its fine lines of even 2 of them working out to be the difference, there is a reason why teams add single figures to their squad of last season, someone might pop up with McCall season at FFC but that was 7 or 8 from Airdrie and many ex players.

The reason I think there is a concern amongst a lot of us is that we haven't got close to the utd performance and been fortunate in a lot of our wins last season, Hartley has remarked on the utd game being the bar we set but that was January.

I obviously hope it all comes good as I've been crabit since Saturday and will be till next Saturday and Partick a good place to start, I think it was Patrick away many years ago (sept 2004)I knew  then we were gonna win the league.....play offs our best this year tho

Mind when I got shot down for suggesting we should sign Shankland? Would bite your hand off for him to be playing with Haber but no chance of that now.
Hindsight is magic eh... Shankland was a hot tattie last summer. No fan in this division wanted him. Rightly so as when he was at Morton he was ridiculed by everyone including their fans.

Reminds me of a then mate in 2004 who knew/cared little about claimed Greece would win the Euros. Hindsight proved him correct, but at the time he had absolutely no right to make the prediction.

Guest Back Post Misses

Is this your hangover talking?

It wasn't what was hoped for obviously but a wee bit early for despondency.

We are 5 games in not one.

Guest Back Post Misses
Aye... When we havent won a first league game in how many years?

I can accept people being realistic about our chances of winning the title not actually being that high, but that same pragmatism should go the other way too. We werent great yesterday but we werent fucking honking either. We need to try and avoid a shite run then try an build momentum but its a long season and despondency seems pretty extreme.

Despondency is for when its pretty clear its NOT going to work or come together. We are a long way from making that assertion.

It is about opinions but I thought we were honking

Guest Back Post Misses
We will get a better idea after next week. I just hope Hartley sticks with a system and has the patience to see it through. Chopping and changing every week will get is no where.
I wouldn't be surprised to see the 352 resurface next week.

We tried that v Forfar first half. Remember how well that went

Of course they had to act. We were staring at the very real possibility of relegation or more likely finishing up in the play off spot in exceptionally poor form with a huge chance of going down.

I don’t for one minute fully blame Houston but he carries the can, likewise with Hartley (not that I feel he should be removed any time soon).

The players were taking the piss out of Houston & the club/fans as soon as they knew he was retiring. It didn’t change when Hartley came in either as the stench of failure was blinding in that dressing room.

Without Hartley’s intervention in January, Christ knows how worse last year would have been.

Folk gave Miller a standing ovation at Livi last January/February. I sat on my arse & my hands stayed in my pockets. Don’t deny what he did for us as a player in his spells but he and many others last year took the piss out of us. Houston’s name fitted into the GTF chants but it could easily have been most of that squads names.

Houston got rid of Baird, McHugh and McCracken from the playing side, with a Vaulks, Leahy and Danny Rogers away too.

All 6 of these guys were huge characters in the dressing room and well liked. Baird, McHugh and McCracken had to go (playing wise) but their influence in the dressing room would have been sorely missed.

A happy group of players (dressing room) can make the most average squad play well above themselves. Which we had.

We’ve went down a completely different route now and have to give it time.

2 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

It is about opinions but I thought we were honking

I don't really see how anyone could say we weren't tbh. 

Fair enough, might be one or two individuals who showed flashes, but collectively it was dross. 

Doesn't mean season's over or we won't win next week but all you can say so far from the LC and league game is that we look poor and must get a lot better. 

I think we will. But that has to be optimism rather than based on anything concrete.  

12 minutes ago, BairnNecessity said:

Fasan

Mcghee Harrison Dallison Robson

Petra Paton Irving Greenwood

Haber Lewis

Saturdays team please, two up top, two natural wingers and a natural left back.

Worries me that Hartley was happy with Saturdays performance.

Hopefully Hartley reads this and sees that line up. 

(Obviously doesn't read this before anyone says) :lol:

Edited by Falkirk_Bairn_1983

And I totally get how boys don't want to panic and want to be super positive but just as you might find knicker wetting too early annoying, pretending something isn't bad that is, is pretty grim too. 

It's great that people want to support the squad. We're all Falkirk. Whilst these lads are ours we should be behind them during the games. Hate booing at matches.. helps no one. 

Doesn't mean you can't review after the games and have the fear at some skill levels.

16 minutes ago, BairnNecessity said:

Fasan

Mcghee Harrison Dallison Robson

Petra Paton Irving Greenwood

Haber Lewis

Saturdays team please, two up top, two natural wingers and a natural left back.

Worries me that Hartley was happy with Saturdays performance.

Think it’s quite obvious that he was publicly backing the team. He’s hardly going to slaughter a whole team of new bodies after one league game.

I could understand if we got absolutely humped but, we didn’t. 

Guys, guys!  What's happening here?  Where's the Falkirk feelgood factor that kept us entertained on here throughout the summer?  It's not so long ago that a lot of you were changing your avatars to pictures of PH and chanting in chorus "in Paul we trust",  maybe now  reality is setting in and the bright new dawn might end up just being another wet miserable day.  This is still entertaining but in a different,  more satisfying way.