The Falkirk FC Thread

Guest Back Post Misses
Can anyone provide examples of teams who started off utter dugshite then came good after the fabled 'gelling' phase? It's a concept I'm unfamiliar with. Thanks in advance.

Jefferies team of 1991 could be the only one I can think of. However you could sign players all the time then and he added players regularly that season.

If we could sign 4/5 in the next 7 days or so maybe but that won’t happen and we ain’t got a Stainrod, Marshall, McGivern, Hetherston, Smith, McWilliams or Hughes on the books before we start

1 minute ago, Crawford Baptie said:

Jim Jeffries 1990

1 minute ago, Back Post Misses said:

Jefferies team of 1991 

27/28 years ago. Does anyone have an example from the modern football era (post Bosman/tranfer window)? Doesn't have to be Falkirk, any level of senior Scottish football will do. Thanks.

1 hour ago, ShaggerG said:

The unrealistic bit is you expecting 16 signings to all be players that would have us challenging for the title. You said that several of them were shite which I don't happen to agree with. To be honest though the way that you come over sounds like you expect a magic wand to be waved and it'll all be sorted. Rips my knitting a bit.

You carry on though and just hope that it doesn't come good anytime soon, save you having to find something else to moan about.

Should we not then be asking why we're bringing in 16 signings all at once when the managers been in place 11 months. Far too much short term thinking last season and other players being let go of when im still not convinced that there replacements are any better. Only one player kept on of all those signed last season and he struggles to get picked.  Seems strange to me how hartley immediately signed a right back when he arrived nearly a year ago so he obviously saw that as a major weakness and yet here we are stuck with the same two players that were in that position when he appeared.   I was never mad on tumilty but at least he was first and foremost a right back.  Poor forward planning has resulted in us flinging 16 strangers together and hoping that at least 11 of them are good enough to make a team that will win us promotion this season.  Huge gamble if you ask me and one that isnt looking odds on at the moment. Individually or as a team too many of those 16 look well off the pace.

Edited by Shodwall cat

Should we not then be asking why we're bringing in 16 signings all at once when the managers been in place 11 months. Far too much short term thinking last season and other players being let go of when im still not convinced that there replacements are any better. Only one player kept on of all those signed last season and he struggles to get picked.  Seems strange to me how hartley immediately signed a right back when he arrived nearly a year ago so he obviously saw that as a major weakness and yet here we are stuck with the same two players that were in that position when he appeared.   I was never mad on tumilty but at least he was first and foremost a right back.  Poor forward planning has resulted in us flinging 16 strangers together and hoping that at least 11 of them are good enough to make a team that will win us promotion this season.  Huge gamble if you ask me and one that isnt looking odds on at the moment. Individually or as a team too many of those 16 look well off the pace.

Maybe the board wouldn't give him approval to sign players for longer than the end of the season. He did offer 3 others contracts but they never took it.

Honestly think you're delusional as you talk about everything like it's simple. You'll be asking why the board haven't found a multi millionaire willing to bank roll us next

Also Tumilty was a right wing back

13 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Should we not then be asking why we're bringing in 16 signings all at once when the managers been in place 11 months. Far too much short term thinking last season 

There was absolutely no choice last season in terms of signings in January

Guest Back Post Misses
27/28 years ago. Does anyone have an example from the modern football era (post Bosman/tranfer window)? Doesn't have to be Falkirk, any level of senior Scottish football will do. Thanks.

Not on my radar

Guest Back Post Misses
Can we not just agree that some think Hartley and his signings are total pish, some think Hartley and his signings are really good and maybe talk about something more positive ??
Where’s the best place to go for a pre and post match pint. Discuss.

Who thinks they are good? Have they watched The Shire and decided to switch to us this season?

I will give you 4/5 are decent. 2 very good (both are loans from Scottish Premiership sides)

1 minute ago, Back Post Misses said:

Who thinks they are good? Have they watched The Shire and decided to switch to us this season?

I will give you 4/5 are decent. 2 very good (both are loans from Scottish Premiership sides)

Well folk are arguing about f**k all then.

Haber and Irving were always likely to be good. The other were always a case of wait and see.

1 minute ago, Rocco said:

Maybe the board wouldn't give him approval to sign players for longer than the end of the season. He did offer 3 others contracts but they never took it.

Honestly think you're delusional as you talk about everything like it's simple. You'll be asking why the board haven't found a multi millionaire willing to bank roll us next

Also Tumilty was a right wing back

Other clubs seem to be able to achieve it. Why is it so difficult for us?  Money isnt the issue here as livi showed last season. Its what you do with it which is where we're seriously lacking.  Appoint the right manager and get your recruitment right and a club our size will be there or there about. The three in question were obviously offered less cash and moved elsewhere.  I wasnt too plussed till i saw the replacements but we needed a bit more continuity.  He didnt need to sign players for longer than the end of the season. He needed to sign players hed be doing everything to re-sign in the summer.  St mirren signed mcginn and davies to the end of the season and then made signing them up again priority. We have failed to do that. We've also failed to bring in anyone of the same quality bar maybe haber if he can stay fit enough to play a couple of games.

44 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

There was absolutely no choice last season in terms of signings in January

And you know that how?  Dunfermline signed beadling now an important part of their midfield. St mirren signed ryan flynn id take him over our lithuanian pal any day. Livi brought ryan hardie in and have him on loan still. Theres guys out there that we couldve signed and kept this season.

Edited by Shodwall cat