The Falkirk FC Thread

7 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

The pellets were the same colour as the pitch were they not.

No, they were black. I can say that with absolute certainly because they always seemed to end up in my trainers whenever I spent a lot of time on the pitch. I've never seen an artificial surface without them so I assume they'll go down at a later date. 

1 hour ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

No, they were black. I can say that with absolute certainly because they always seemed to end up in my trainers whenever I spent a lot of time on the pitch. I've never seen an artificial surface without them so I assume they'll go down at a later date. 

That's strange because there was a big thing made about the fact that we were getting green pellets that cost more but looked far better when the pitch was originally laid. I remember Raith getting the same pitch and them also mentioning the fact that they were using green pellets. Perhaps cost cutting measures over the years meant the green original ones being replaced by black ones.

In fact here's the original info release. And it mentions the green infill.

Falkirk FC has appointed GreenFields to install an artificial pitch at the Falkirk Stadium. The installation started on the 25th June, after the Status Quo concert, and will be completed for a first home league game on 17th August. This will be one of the first new generation of woven synthetic turf systems to be installed in the UK. It is specifically designed for football and will have an enhanced appearance through the use of a green infill.

16872127516707675217630411362713.jpg

Edited by Shodwall cat

2 hours ago, Shodwall cat said:

The pellets were the same colour as the pitch were they not.

They’re called crumb rubber and are normally made from shredded recycled car tyres. They get put down to help protect the artificial turf and soften the surface for the players.

Just now, Juan Sheet said:

They’re called crumb rubber and are normally made from shredded recycled car tyres. They get put down to help protect the artificial turf and soften the surface for the players.

I know that ours originally were green though.as it looks a lot better.

2 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

That's strange because there was a big thing made about the fact that we were getting green pellets that cost more but looked far better when the pitch was originally laid. I remember Raith getting the same pitch and them also mentioning the fact that they were using green pellets. Perhaps cost cutting measures over the years meant the green original ones being replaced by black ones.

I’ve never heard of them being anything other than black, played on both parks and many many others and it’s always black pellets that you find for days/weeks after in your boots, trainers, kit bag, car 🙈

9 minutes ago, Juan Sheet said:

I’ve never heard of them being anything other than black, played on both parks and many many others and it’s always black pellets that you find for days/weeks after in your boots, trainers, kit bag, car 🙈

It was mentioned at the time that it was more expensive but looked far better.  I know what you mean they end up everywhere.

11 hours ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

9 hours ago, Shodwall cat said:

In fact here's the original info release. And it mentions the green infill.

Falkirk FC has appointed GreenFields to install an artificial pitch at the Falkirk Stadium. The installation started on the 25th June, after the Status Quo concert, and will be completed for a first home league game on 17th August. This will be one of the first new generation of woven synthetic turf systems to be installed in the UK. It is specifically designed for football and will have an enhanced appearance through the use of a green infill.

9 hours ago, Juan Sheet said:

9 hours ago, Juan Sheet said:

Standard rubber crumb is black but it's possible to get it coloured and a number of clubs, including us, Falkirk and Raith have put down green crumb to be more aesthetic. I imagine most cases though (certainly with us) when crumb is topped up over the years as it inevitably needs to be annually it will usually be black rather than the more expensive green that's used as it's not really practical to buy the green in smaller "top up" proportions. It's also a pretty dark green and won't look all that different to black if looking at an individual crumb falling out of your shoes!

The rubber crumb is necessary to ensure the bounce and roll are within tolerable levels. it wouldn't be without the crumb. The EU intends to ban the use of rubber crumb from 2027 with the UK likely to follow suit. The ramifications for those using 3G pitches remains to be seen. They are trying to find alternatives which may include using cork instead but the freezing point of cork is higher so it will have ramifcations for the supposed "all weather" nature of the pitches in cold climates like ours.

1 minute ago, Shodwall cat said:

Surprised thought he'd roll up at alloa given that that's the only place he's ever really had any success at. 

Rankin will know him from his time at us, last punt at full time football. Quite happy with a lot of the names rumoured to be joining them on their thread, Ohara included.

Looks like Ryan Mullen won't be signing as our back up keeper.

7 minutes ago, Believe The Hype said:

Alloa and arbroath were both in the mix. Full time at accies though so would be a no brainer.

For him yes . Not sure how much of a budget Hamilton will have I suppose this season given the changes at the club and he won't cost very much to bring in wages wise.

14 minutes ago, Van_damage said:

Said I wasn’t quite as in love with the home top but that pink keeper top is sublime. 

Whit! It's honking!

FzDrJlfWcAAUHSc?format=jpg&name=small

Looks like a packet of licorice allsorts.

Licorice Allsorts in 200g bag. Wallies Lolliesimage.jpeg.c9a0689e81ca433ea08d4e3e53375df8.jpeg

Edited by Bairn in Exile

16 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Whit! It's honking!

FzDrJlfWcAAUHSc?format=jpg&name=small

Looks like a packet of licorice allsorts.

Licorice Allsorts in 200g bag. Wallies Lolliesimage.jpeg.c9a0689e81ca433ea08d4e3e53375df8.jpeg

Nothing wrong with licorice all sorts! 😝 

Each to their own but I love a jazzy GK top.