The Falkirk FC Thread

No matter what, the ref should only give a penalty if it’s clear and unambiguous. No way in hell could he be absolutely sure who handled the ball, if that’s what he gave it for. Even on here, with the benefit of FFC VAR no one can realistically call it. 

Possible that the linesman thought it was and communicated through the headset? 

21 minutes ago, Zbairn said:

No matter what, the ref should only give a penalty if it’s clear and unambiguous. No way in hell could he be absolutely sure who handled the ball, if that’s what he gave it for. Even on here, with the benefit of FFC VAR no one can realistically call it. 

Possible that the linesman thought it was and communicated through the headset? 

Didn’t look like a penalty but referees view is totally different from the camera. If Luke was filming it then maybe his angle might clear it up however imagine he’ll be beside the goal on the far side at that point. 

Episode 50 (how have we done that number already) of the podcast OUT NOW!

🆕🎙️EP:50 “Da da da da da da MACIVER!”

🔵 Review 2-2 draw with Cove 🐀
⚪️ FSS v FFC shares discussion 💷
🔵 Main Stand Auldtras 1876? 👴🏼
⚪️ Preview Stirling Albion (H) 🔴 
🔵 & Good news from the Falkirk FFIT lads 💙👏🏻

📺 🎧📱falkirkdaft.co.uk

IMG_3864.thumb.jpeg.0b1919f0fed4ffc1cc1efd43c5da6016.jpeg 

IMG_3871.thumb.jpeg.ee3790ae962a284d0b696a49d12b6591.jpeg

5 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

Where did you read that? If it's his twitter, which I don't do, is it possible to share it on here? I must say that, having looked at the footage back, Yeats certainly looks guilty after the incident. Classic, standing still with his hands spread trying not to look guilty pose.

Hasn't been posted anywhere. Spoke to a few folk in work this morning who have relations with players through one way or another who have all said the same re. Yeats' comments.

8 hours ago, Van_damage said:

Not sure about that. They’ve brought in 8 players and we’ve brought in 7. They might have a slightly bigger squad but they still have several players on part time contracts. 

As for the result, will know more context whether it’s points dropped or gained as the season progresses but at the moment clutching a point with a last minute goal feels like a decent point.

They have signed 20 players! @CoveRangers1922 posted that last week. 

1 minute ago, Mr Grimsdale said:

They have signed 20 players! @CoveRangers1922 posted that last week. 

Thanks. Can never trust these websites to be fully up to date! 

Signing a lot of players doesn’t necessarily mean they have a larger budget though? 

15 minutes ago, Van_damage said:

Signing a lot of players doesn’t necessarily mean they have a larger budget though? 

What sort on money do you think the like of Fyvie are Meggison are on? Signing players from down south they will also be forking out for digs. 

Edited by Mr Grimsdale

12 minutes ago, Van_damage said:

Maybe not, but they do seem to be chucking the kitchen sink at it. A squad of what, half a dozen full time players more than ours with the likes of Fyvie, Megginson etc still there suggests they’ll be at least close in spend.

That’s the problem when you’re up against sugar daddies. They can just absorb the loss. We can’t just say to fans, “we’re signing that right back, write us a cheque.”  

I know that’s a whine, but it needs to be considered by the “anything other than a win is unacceptable” brigade (not you) who think that because we have a big support we have a proportionate advantage. 

1 minute ago, Mr Grimsdale said:

What sort on money do you think the like of Fyvie are Meggison are on? Signing players from down south they will also be forking out for digs. 

Not saying they don’t have players who will be on a good wage but so do we and some of their players will still be on part time, which I think includes Megginson?

Just think from what we’ve brought in and what we already have McGlynn has been given a very sizeable budget for this league. Think the fact we haven’t brought in more players is because we’ve probably spent a bit more on the wages for those we’ve brought in. 

9 minutes ago, StuartA said:

Maybe not, but they do seem to be chucking the kitchen sink at it. A squad of what, half a dozen full time players more than ours with the likes of Fyvie, Megginson etc still there suggests they’ll be at least close in spend.

That’s the problem when you’re up against sugar daddies. They can just absorb the loss. We can’t just say to fans, “we’re signing that right back, write us a cheque.”  

I know that’s a whine, but it needs to be considered by the “anything other than a win is unacceptable” brigade (not you) who think that because we have a big support we have a proportionate advantage. 

Know what you’re saying and said before the league won’t be plain sailing. Just mean specifically with budgets. Sure they’ll be close to us but not convinced it will be much more, if any. 

Read that a portion of their players will still be part time with the transition to being a full time club. Not sure what players that will involve but Megginson still working elsewhere according to his LinkedIn. 

https://coverangersfc.com/2023/05/18/club-statement-full-time-football/

“The forthcoming season will be a transitional period, and we are preparing to operate within a hybrid structure.

Given that a number of players still have existing part-time contracts, and that some may not be in a position to immediately switch to full-time football, the first season will inevitably be one of transition.

Edited by Van_damage

We have 6 part timers left, Mitch, Scully, Yule, Reynolds, Naismith and Vigurs who must be close to an exit. Naismith can't be far behind him given he's the only central belt PT player and it's some commitment travelling solo two nights a week when he's a bench warmer. The first 3 especially I would imagine will be the highest paid PT players in the division and be commanding larger salaries than a lot of the young lads on FT contracts.

The other 21 are all on full time contracts. Gaffney, Ochmanski and Robertson (GK), all kids, will all go out on loan to lower leagues and I believe they are on modern apprenticeships. The remaining players mostly will be on low wages in my opinion given they were likely desperate to stay, or actually in most circumstances, move to FT. Doubt they will be on substantially more than the average PT L1 wage.

I'd imagine accomodation is being provided.

A few of our FT guys will be on competitive or self sustaining salaries; likes of Fyvie, McGowan, Burrell and Sena. Heard the latter is even doing a bit of coaching. Could be to top up a wage or just helping out in his free time

Edited by CoveRangers1922

34 minutes ago, Van_damage said:

Not saying they don’t have players who will be on a good wage but so do we and some of their players will still be on part time, which I think includes Megginson?

Just think from what we’ve brought in and what we already have McGlynn has been given a very sizeable budget for this league. Think the fact we haven’t brought in more players is because we’ve probably spent a bit more on the wages for those we’ve brought in. 

What is you guess at our budget ? 

Looking at squad sizes and players brought in over the summer there probably isn’t much between Cove, Hamilton or ourselves budget wise but if I was pushed I’d guess Cove were spending the most, even the part time guys like Reynolds and Vigurs ect will still be picking up salaries akin or better than a lot of full time players looking at the clubs they were signed from. I’d say the sugar daddy type model Cove run with does offer an advantage as well, I doubt there is a rigid fixed budget set for the season, if a player becomes a available Hartley wants the ownership will most likely have the flexibility to cover bringing him in. They know they are going into the red each year but have somebody prepared to write a cheque to cover it , that probably gives them more flexibility to bring players in if the right one becomes available where as in our case when the playing budget it’s spent it’s spent barring an unexpected windfall or players moving on. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

14 minutes ago, Mr Grimsdale said:

What is you guess at our budget ? 

Overall playing budget of just over £1.4m(including coaches, scouts, physios etc)? 

What would be your guess between ours and Cove? 

Edited by Van_damage

31 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

Looking at squad sizes and players brought in over the summer there probably isn’t much between Cove, Hamilton or ourselves budget wise although I’d say the sugar daddy type model Cove run with does offer an advantage as I doubt there is rigid fixed budget set for the season. They know they are going into the red each yea but have somebody prepared to write a cheque to cover it , that probably gives them more flexibility to bring players in if the right one becomes available where as in our case when the playing budget it’s spent it’s spent barring an unexpected windfall or players moving on. 

Going by the majority of our signings our budget is much lower than many expect but I agree for the right player it will flex. I did think we could push the boat out for Hester, McLennan, Dean Campbell, Cammy Smith, Peter Pawlett etc. All ties to Aberdeen/Grampian area or thereabout but got none of them.

You look at who we are taking in; majority young lads who have been released and will be willing to get paid peanuts to see if they can kick start their career and move on. Nearly all of them wont find another FT club after this and it will be PT and job hunting. They will have likely no family or financial commitments 

I'd put all of the below in that bracket;

Aaron Darge

Tyler Mykyta

Balint Demus

Mark Gallagher

Will Gillingham*

Kyle Connell*

Luke Strachan 

Rio Davidson-Phipps 

Dayshonne Golding 

That's 9 and the 3 kids make 12 of 21 on "low" wages. The other 9 will be on varying salaries but nothing extreme.

I feel we been cautious in our switch to FT which is understandable given our infancy in the SPFL and our currently low revenue streams (outside directors/sponsors etc). 

I'd still likely someone else doing the recruiting as clearly Hartley couldn't build a sandcastle let alone a squad

Average FT contract will be higher at Falkirk and Hamilton. Accies under new ownership are clearly punting in some money with a view to bouncing right back. 

* These have some promise and if they develop might have a career in the lower depths of the FT Scottish game

Edited by CoveRangers1922

1 hour ago, StuartA said:

... the “anything other than a win is unacceptable” brigade

@CoveRangers1922 makes a very valid point. They've signed relative unknowns (I've seen that somewhere before) and have to integrate them whereas the advantage we *should* have is our squad is evolution over revolution and it's guys who know this league and above in the case of Lang, Spencer and Miller. 

Agree we shouldn't expect to win every game but currently feels like we intend to make heavy weather of it. I personally don't want to spend the season chasing a rival and relying on the play-offs as our insurance policy.

20 minutes ago, Van_damage said:

Overall playing budget of just over £1.4m(including coaches, scouts, physios etc)? 

What would be your guess between ours and Cove? 

We don’t have a scout.

No idea but my guess theirs is bigger purely down to numbers even if they are paying slightly less. Probably have 6 or 7 more players than us at let’s say £800/week including accommodation (conservative). That’s 250k+ more in player wages and accommodation alone. We must have some size of back room staff on daft money to be spending more than Cove. 

20 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Going by the majority of our signings our budget is much lower than many expect but I agree for the right player it will flex. I did think we could push the boat out for Hester, McLennan, Dean Campbell, Cammy Smith, Peter Pawlett etc. All ties to Aberdeen area but got none of them.

You look at who we are taking in; majority young lads who have been released and will be willing to get paid peanuts to see if they can kick start their career and move on. Nearly all of them wont find another FT club after this and it will be PT and job hunting. They will have likely no family or financial commitments 

I'd put;

Aaron Darge

Tyler Mykyta

Balint Demus

Mark Gallagher

Will Gillingham

Kyle Connell

Luke Strachan 

Rio Davidson-Phipps 

Dayshonne Golding 

That's 9 and the 3 kids make 12 of 21 on "low" wages. The other 9 will be on varying salaries but nothing extreme.

I feel we been cautious in our switch to FT which is understandable given our infancy in the SPFL and our currently low revenue streams.

For average FT contract will be higher at Falkirk and Hamilton. Accies under new ownership are clearly punting in some money with a view to bouncing right back. 

You have two guys and a sponsor bankrolling the place. Your income from fans matters not a jot as long as those three hang about and don’t get bored