The Falkirk FC Thread

2 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Makes sense for Allan to go out as realistically he’s going to get very little game time here.

Wishful thinking but I’d be looking to move on Long, McGinn and Lawal next with an experienced goalkeeper and another centre half coming in if possible.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the board would like to see wage costs trimmed a bit too.

Don’t disagree but unless we’re bringing in some additional quality (which is difficult at this window) we need to ensure that we have numbers to cover for injuries & suspensions. Albeit McGinn looks like his best days are now sadly finished.

22 minutes ago, StuartA said:

This “paying a fee” thing is exaggerated. We paid over three times as much for Ken Eadie nearly 40 years ago. 

Aye, in this instance the fee is pretty irrelevant. We are probably talking 5k or not much more, it was a token gesture paid to a club who were hard up at the time allowing the player released from his contract a few months early having already signed a pre contract agreement. He’s not a terrible player and we have routinely signed way worse in recent seasons but it still has to go down as a poor signing for me, probably the only one barring our goalkeepers Mcglynn has made in fairness. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

7 minutes ago, StuartA said:

This “paying a fee” thing is exaggerated. We paid over three times as much for Ken Eadie nearly 40 years ago. 

Was it not 50k for him and £10k for Jim Kerr both from Brechin. 

2 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

Was it not 50k for him and £10k for Jim Kerr both from Brechin. 

Think so. I know we’re now in an age where paying a fee is rare and a bit of an ego trip for smaller clubs, but if the gossip is accurate, the fee wouldn’t get you a decent dinner for 12 at the Inchyra. 

41 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

Aye, in this instance the fee is pretty irrelevant. We are probably talking 5k or not much more, it was a token gesture paid to a club who were hard up at the time allowing the player released from his contract a few months early having already signed a pre contract agreement. He’s not a terrible player and we have routinely signed way worse in recent seasons but it still has to go down as a poor signing for me, probably the only one barring our goalkeepers Mcglynn has made in fairness. 

£5k really isn’t much in the grand scheme of things but a lot of good can be done with it. Why I would take objection to trying to put any money we raised to the club instead of trying to create a community benefit project as envisioned. Can take a long time and a lot of effort to raise £5k but can be spent very quickly. 

Edited by Dave McInally

16 minutes ago, Dave McInally said:

£5k really isn’t much in the grand scheme of things but a lot of good can be done with it. Why I would take objection to trying to put any money we raised to the club instead of trying to create a community benefit project as envisioned. Can take a long time and a lot of effort to raise £5k but can be spent very quickly. 

Of course! I’m all for Falkirk fans fund raising , not sure what it’s got to do with Jordon Allan tho. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

5 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

Of course! I’m all for Falkirk fans fund raising , not sure what it’s got to do with Jordon Allan tho. 

Just that you said money was tight and £20km was a lot of money. I don’t disagree but like £5k, could easily be squandered too. 

34 minutes ago, Dave McInally said:

Just that you said money was tight and £20km was a lot of money. I don’t disagree but like £5k, could easily be squandered too. 

Any person or group can squander or misuse money at any time anywhere, it’s most definitely not unique to football particularly when spending money that fans/public have raised and isn’t they’re own hard earned. Thankfully at the moment the manager and people now put in charge of running the club seem to be getting most of these decisions correct which in itself should give fans the confidence to continue backing the club in the knowledge they’re money is likely to be spent wisely. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

Just now, Ned Nederlander said:

Not since Stevie Logan have I been as excited and then so disappointment in an FFC transfer - mind you Logan got game time, Allan practically didn’t.

Obviously not surprised at the move - hope he does well.

Remember John Stewart? Goal scoring machine for Aberdeen reserves. Not so much for us!

43 minutes ago, falkirkbairn23 said:

35 games 4 goals for Allan, so not a big miss. Perfect world we get an experienced goalie but don't see that happening.

Would take another striker or centre half cover. 

Doesnt really tell the full story though. For example in 15 appearances in the league, 14 of those were from the bench and only 198 minutes in total (average 11 mins a sub) Even his 1 goal in that time isn't a dissimilar ratio to MacIver or any other striker. I've no doubt he would have bagged a fair few goals if we played a system that suited him and gave him more than the odd 10 minutes here and there. The reality is unfortunately for Allan we haven't and also been flying at the same time.

Apart from missing a chance away at Kelty and a shot that hit the bar in a game at TFS he really has barely had a sniff. 

I think it's probably the right decision to let him go but it's only really come about because we've barely ever needed to be throwing a striker on from the bench to rescue a game for us. Reckon he will do well at Clyde and would have improved any other team in this division. Can certainly see why McGlynn signed him and will go with my best wishes 

3 hours ago, bairn88 said:

I really don’t think Mcglynn would have let McKay go if he wasn’t bringing someone else in over the coming 8 days 

He has Henderson and MacKie for CH cover. Personally I think if anyone else comes in then it should be a goal scorer.