The get fit, stay fit thread

On a gallon of water a day (obviously pissing like a racehorse), and it's helping a lot with keeping the water weight off and helping me keep the body fat down. Would recommend thoroughly to anyone to invest in a gallon water bottle.

I do 1000m 3 times a week for speed/time just now in between days at gym and am increasing distance as times goes on.Starting at a club for the first time this Wednesday that usually does close to 2000m per session.

I swim at Leith Vic, occasionally Glenogle, both of which are taking part. It's at a weekend though which isn't a good time for me.

Instead of chewing bacon, chew gum. Instead of using Pop Tarts for sandwiches, use bread.

I had a Pop Tart for the first time in about ten years yesterday. It was alright.

I'd recommend the 'Lean in 15' book for people who want to do a bit of healthy cooking. Made about a dozen or so recipes in the last month and they have all been pretty great (and only take 15 minutes to make, hence the name).

I do 1000m 3 times a week for speed/time just now in between days at gym and am increasing distance as times goes on.Starting at a club for the first time this Wednesday that usually does close to 2000m per session.

I swim at Leith Vic, occasionally Glenogle, both of which are taking part. It's at a weekend though which isn't a good time for me.

I'm doing it on the Friday night

Irritatingly the Commonwealth pool wasn't an option this time and neither was Tollcross in Glasgow so I'm having to do it in a 25m pool

On the upside that means my chances of beating 1:45 are improved

What's everyone's tri's workout? I'm looking to change mines up a bit, had a look online to see what most people say is the best but different opinions everywhere.

Skullcrushers and dips predominantly. Mix it up with machines and cables in the gym. Each session will change rep system to keep it interesting and muscles guessing.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

*bump*

I had a snowboarding accident back in January and had to have surgery because of it. I piled on a few pounds (ok, over a stone) while I was laid up not doing much and boozing & feasting like a king because I had nothing else to do. I eventually peaked at 16st 10, which was ludicrous even at my 6ft 2.

I wasn't all that fit to begin with (although I did manage a 10k in just under the hour mark pre accident @ 15st 8) as I seemed to be getting niggly little injuries every time I tried to do something. But the time laid up seems to have actually given me time for all those niggles to sort themselves out.

Now that I've been discharged from Physio I'm back looking after myself properly and I must say I'm quite enjoying it and the results. Working out 4 times a week - which is more than I've managed since my teens - and eating healthily I've lost 20lbs in 8 weeks which happened to include a very beer heavy 2 week holiday where I'd put 4 pounds back on. Essentially, 6 weeks worth of work has lost be 24lbs in that case.

Currently now 15st 4 and aiming to be under the 14st mark by September/October time. I don't know how much lower than that I can go as I am pretty broad shouldered and muscley but I can't wait to see where I end up.

Anyway, that was meant to lead to a question. As I'm enjoying my 4 workouts (which are all HIIT/GVT mixes that I do at home by myself) I was considering throwing some distance running in on my days off but was concerned I'd be overdoing it and that I'd bring back my niggles. Anyone any experience with these kind of problems or have much of an opinion about rest days? I'm only talking about running 5k or so once or twice a week on top of the 4 workouts.

9 hours ago, Spain said:

Anyway, that was meant to lead to a question. As I'm enjoying my 4 workouts (which are all HIIT/GVT mixes that I do at home by myself) I was considering throwing some distance running in on my days off but was concerned I'd be overdoing it and that I'd bring back my niggles. Anyone any experience with these kind of problems or have much of an opinion about rest days? I'm only talking about running 5k or so once or twice a week on top of the 4 workouts.

The answer to all these is 'depends', but depends what your niggles are I guess, and how intense your HIIT is just now. I've had knee and ankle operations in the past so I'm very reluctant to do distance running. I don't particularly enjoy it, HIIT gets far better results for me and puts less pressure on your joints, particularly if you carry a bit of weight, so I see no reason to do it. However if you enjoy doing it I'd introduce it gradually maybe once a week and see how you feel and go from there. If it was me I'd just keep doing what you're doing but gradually make your HIIT workouts harder/longer as you get fitter, you'll keep getting results and will allow you still to have your rest days.