The get fit, stay fit thread

19 hours ago, Mr Hahn said:

I'm inclined to agree, how do you manage 5 x 12 back squats with only 30 secs rest?! Even for my warm up sets for squats I take at least a minute and the highest reps I ever do on it is 8 (though I'm passed that point of the training cycle).

Squats are becoming increasingly tough for me as they come after my olympic lift practice and my quads are generally quite burned after that. Did manage a 5 rep front squat PR the other day though.

Do you take a minute rest because you have to or just because it's what you've always done? If you struggled to do that you would just drop the weight until you could do it for the 5 sets. I've been training on this program for 2 months now and they have structured it in a way that all the challengers are primed for this final 4 week push.

Two days in and I'm really enjoying the intensity of the 5 sets and 30 secs rest. I'll be back to dropping the sets and reps and upping the weights once this is over but the idea of this is to get shredded to within an inch of your life. We'll see.

On 4/5/2017 at 08:23, Dee Man said:

Do you take a minute rest because you have to or just because it's what you've always done? If you struggled to do that you would just drop the weight until you could do it for the 5 sets. I've been training on this program for 2 months now and they have structured it in a way that all the challengers are primed for this final 4 week push.

Two days in and I'm really enjoying the intensity of the 5 sets and 30 secs rest. I'll be back to dropping the sets and reps and upping the weights once this is over but the idea of this is to get shredded to within an inch of your life. We'll see.

I don't have to, but it's just warming up. For my working sets of squats I take 2.5-3 minutes of rest between sets but our programs are obviously aimed at entirely different training styles. I squat for leg strength for the snatch and clean and jerk while yours is, I'm guessing, aimed at taxing the cardio system and burning out the muscle.

Will be interested to hear your results after your program, that's a training style I've never really tried.

On ‎30‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 17:45, Dee Man said:

This is my gym program for the next 4 weeks. One body area per day with a rest on 4th day. 20170331_003650.thumb.png.92424c8cf37d2dc6fbb9dbdbf871a7d0.png

Too easy.

Reveal hidden contents

crying-dawson.gif.206e718b19042626b452a3cfb0d52408.gif

Having been a slob for a month I was able to get back to my usual vain gym-dwelling self yesterday and remembered reading this regime. Probably not the exact same exercises but going for 8 exercises per body area, 5x12 with a short rest between with cardio first and cardio and abs. After. Did chest & triceps yesterday and can feel a difference already. Been doing some running and swimming too and should be able to get a wee bit of boxing in at some point too. Hadn't realised that having a young puppy would eat into my free time so much but now he's a lazy wee sod who just wants to sleep all the time I can get back into a regime.

50 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Having been a slob for a month I was able to get back to my usual vain gym-dwelling self yesterday and remembered reading this regime. Probably not the exact same exercises but going for 8 exercises per body area, 5x12 with a short rest between with cardio first and cardio and abs. After. Did chest & triceps yesterday and can feel a difference already. Been doing some running and swimming too and should be able to get a wee bit of boxing in at some point too. Hadn't realised that having a young puppy would eat into my free time so much but now he's a lazy wee sod who just wants to sleep all the time I can get back into a regime.

I'm loving this 5 x 12 with 30 secs rest program. I fully expected not to be recovered enough in 30 seconds to be ready to go again but that's not the case plus it feels a lot more productive rather than pacing about for 1-2 mins with my hands on my hips waiting to start the next set.

I think someone mentioned Jim Stoppani before; I've downloaded his shortcut to shred app and going to do his 6 week challenge next. I was watching his video earlier and rather than resting between sets, he's got you doing cardio for a minute. Piece of piss.

Eta: Sissy squats - I hadn't heard of them before never mind done them. I feel as though my quads have been battered multiple times with a baseball bat.

Edited by Dee Man

The only thing I hate is my belly. Everytime I do a plank i have this horrible small bag of fat hanging down and I need some help getting rid of it. Is diet the biggest answer and if so, can someone please point me in the direction of good advice? A lot of it will be obvious but it'll be inspiration.

The only thing I hate is my belly. Everytime I do a plank i have this horrible small bag of fat hanging down and I need some help getting rid of it. Is diet the biggest answer and if so, can someone please point me in the direction of good advice? A lot of it will be obvious but it'll be inspiration.

Diet and cardio.HIIT cardio especially.
Its a bummer that there's not an exercise that targets a specific area of fat as most men would be the same as you.

Tbh I'd rather do high reps/lower weights/lower rest between sets these days rather than the opposite. I just do the big compound work these days though rarely spend longer than 45 minutes in the gym but swim on days in between. 

Started back lifting weights to help with my running. I've been doing two sessions a week, starting with squats then deadlifts, followed by squats then bench press. I used to do 5x5 but found that doing that three times a week and running was too much.

I've lost a stone since Christmas, mainly through going swimming 5/6 days a week and the odd gym session, another stone by the end of the year would see me at a relatively healthy weight for a 40 year old man.

I want to stop smoking too, vowed id do it when I became a father, my eldest is 14...! Then it was by the time I was 30 ..then 40 and so on.

Really serious about doing it this time..honest, but I am a bit concerned I will do what many do and put the weight back on.

Any serious tips on how to chuck the tabs and NOT pile on the beef?

Are the E-cigs/Vapes an effective intermediate help and/or less deadly than cigarettes?

5 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

I've lost a stone since Christmas, mainly through going swimming 5/6 days a week and the odd gym session, another stone by the end of the year would see me at a relatively healthy weight for a 40 year old man.

I want to stop smoking too, vowed id do it when I became a father, my eldest is 14...! Then it was by the time I was 30 ..then 40 and so on.

Really serious about doing it this time..honest, but I am a bit concerned I will do what many do and put the weight back on.

Are the E-cigs/Vapes an effective intermediate help and/or less deadly than cigarettes?

I'm guessing people who stop smoking will still get an urge to be putting something in their mouth *insert Kenneth Williams pic here* at the same time as they would usually be having a fag *insert Kenneth Williams pic here* and substitute it with food which ultimately ends up in them becoming fat dicks.

People who say they put on weight because they stopped smoking are fooling no-one - they started putting on weight because they started eating more.

18 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

There are threads on here about stopping smoking and quite a few people (me included) used Allan Carr's Easyway to Stop Smoking. No point trying to describe it. Seems to be witchcraft but very effective and no willpower/cravings.

Just now, Flybhoy said:

Using a Ouija board to chuck the fags???

Fucking shitting nora !

It's a bit Clockwork Orange but it does something to your brain to make you not be a smoker. I used to drink more at first as I could show off how drunk I could be without even thinking about a cig. You can get a book, an audiobook or go to a seminar. It sounds like mumbo jumbo if people describe to you how it works so best to just dive in and give it a go.

• 2 weeks later...

Started Jim Stoppani's Six Week Shortcut to Shred today - although I'm spreading it over 9 weeks because I have a social life and a job to contend with. I'm going to follow the program as close as I can from a workout perspective but will probably struggle to fit in 6 workouts per week, will be five most weeks but i'm going to take the concept of the program and change it up a little bit as well as being loose on the macro/supplement intake - I'm going on holiday not competing in The Arnold Classic at the end of the day. 

The basis of the program is what he calls 'Cardio Acceleration'. Essentially HIIT in between weight sets. After day one I have to say I enjoyed, but I is hard. Today is leg an shoulder day and the though of doing a minutes cardio in between sets of squats and deadlifts doesn't sound like it will be much fun. 

Yesterday was chest and triceps and muscles didn't feel like they'd been worked overly hard compared to previous program but doing 1min cardio between 4 sets of 11 x 60kg bench press was hard work, didn't feel like it got much of a 'pump' muscle wise though. Each muscle group is worked twice a week compared to my previous once a week on a 4 day split which might mean the loads is just being spread over 2 workouts instead of one. 

2 hours ago, DigOutYourSoul said:

Started Jim Stoppani's Six Week Shortcut to Shred today - although I'm spreading it over 9 weeks because I have a social life and a job to contend with. I'm going to follow the program as close as I can from a workout perspective but will probably struggle to fit in 6 workouts per week, will be five most weeks but i'm going to take the concept of the program and change it up a little bit as well as being loose on the macro/supplement intake - I'm going on holiday not competing in The Arnold Classic at the end of the day. 

The basis of the program is what he calls 'Cardio Acceleration'. Essentially HIIT in between weight sets. After day one I have to say I enjoyed, but I is hard. Today is leg an shoulder day and the though of doing a minutes cardio in between sets of squats and deadlifts doesn't sound like it will be much fun. 

Yesterday was chest and triceps and muscles didn't feel like they'd been worked overly hard compared to previous program but doing 1min cardio between 4 sets of 11 x 60kg bench press was hard work, didn't feel like it got much of a 'pump' muscle wise though. Each muscle group is worked twice a week compared to my previous once a week on a 4 day split which might mean the loads is just being spread over 2 workouts instead of one. 

I downloaded the app a few weeks back and had a look through it with the intention of going straight onto it after I'd finished my current 12 week challenge but it looks too mental. Fair play to anyone who does it. I've incorporated a few bits of his recommended cardio inbetween my sets to see what it's like and although it's do-able, I reckon you'd deplete your energy too much to push out as much as you usually could by the end of your session. 

I also wasn't too keen on his wanky terminology either - linear periodization and reverse linear periodization which is just another way of saying pyramid weight training. I thought the diet plan was a bit vague as well. Add that to the fact that I'm being bombarded by his emails on a daily basis trying to flog me his supplements then I'm not overly impressed.

2 hours ago, DigOutYourSoul said:

Isn't the first work out of the week for each body part high weight/low rep and the second work out the opposite?

• 1 month later...

i lost 4 or 5 pound out of nowhere so decided to up my game just a little bit. Swimming on a Tuesday (even though I can't actually swim....  Mainly just play with my niece). Gym on Wednesday & Thursday. Think I've been eating less too. I usually snack a lot throughout the day but haven't bothered much for the past couple of weeks. I still have a long way to go before I'm showing any noticeable difference though.

Started eating healthier and exercising more frequently as I'm trying to get into decent shape for my wedding in May 2018. Running 3-4 miles a day and doing these "HIIT" workouts has been beneficial in helping me go from 12 stone 9 to 12 stone 5 in a week. Target is around 11 stone 7. Then il be focusing on muscle toning.

Sorry to sound disheartening but that weight loss may well be water retention so don't be disappointed if it takes longer than you think to get to where you want to be. 

Reading that Kelly Starret Supple Leopard book just now, really recommend it from what I've covered so far.