Comic Book Movies (and TV Shows)

forehead7

11 hours ago, Clangers said:

Anyone watching the boys? I am holding off to watch in one weekend, the reviews don’t seem great which is disappointing as the first 3 seasons have been fantastic.

I also noticed a lot of Sandman S2 filming stuff with Stephen Fry as Fiddler Green, which as a huge Sandman fan thought was the greatest bit of casting, I will remain quiet on the rest!

Yes - we even have a thread for The Boys.

Reviews for the new season are negative because the Trump supporters are getting the pish ripped right out of them, and they don't like it.

On 27/06/2024 at 21:50, Clangers said:

Anyone watching the boys? I am holding off to watch in one weekend, the reviews don’t seem great which is disappointing as the first 3 seasons have been fantastic.

I also noticed a lot of Sandman S2 filming stuff with Stephen Fry as Fiddler Green, which as a huge Sandman fan thought was the greatest bit of casting, I will remain quiet on the rest!

I got two episodes in before I realised that it wasn't for me.

I don't blame the Aussie actor for this, but his character is so so so so over-the-top. He's like a non-PC Crocodile Dundee.

I won't be revisiting it.

Still, Elizabeth Shue still looks great. There's that.

My advice would be to give it a go. You might like it.

On 20/02/2024 at 09:12, Mark Connolly said:

I went to see Madame Web last week. It's not particularly good, but it's also nowhere near as bad as all the reviews are making out.

My recommendation would be only go to see it if you have an unlimited card or are using your free Sky tickets, otherwise wait until it's on telly/streaming

That's the thing, there's a sub culture of Comic Book fans who think they're in a boy's club and that there's "No girlz aloud!"

I remember "Captain Marvel" being review bombed with awful reviews on IMDB before it was even released.

Don't even get me started on the "Star Wars boy's club" when they took umbrage to a black guy and a woman being main characters in the "Star Wars" sequels (Irrespective of them being horrendous. Blame it on JJ Abrams and Ran Johnston)

Apparently, these people haven't heard of Princess Leia Organa or Lando Calrissian.

It's always the wisest move to see for yourself and make up your own mind and ignore the noise.

Besides, "Thor: Ragnarok" is a beloved Comic Book move that's loved by all. Whereas, I've watched it twice and both time I was filled with manic rage and wanted to destroy Earth at the end, I loathed it so much!

• 4 weeks later...

Deadpool and Wolverine is rather good.

There are spoilers below.

Multiple laugh out loud moments as you'd expect, often due to multiple funny lines. Ripping the pish out of Marvel, Disney and Fox was funny and they did it often. One of the best was when Blind Al touched Dogpool's tongue and shouted "Motherfucker!" 

The various Deadpools were amusing, especially Nicepool. Likewise the few Wolverines/Logans we saw briefly.

The previous characters were tremendous. Laughed when it was revealed it wasn't Cap but Johnny Storm! About cheered out loud in the cinema when fucking Blade walked through the door! And yes, he says the thing! Enjoyed Sabretooth getting fucking done by Wolverine. Elektra somehow looks better than ever! Enjoyed the Juggernaut jokes.

Despite the comedy nature of the film, I think it's the best Wolverine we've had on screen. They really got over just how brutal, violent and fucking animalistic he is in way only Logan came close to. Really tapped in to his rage and sadness.

Cassandra Nova was a decent baddie. Her 'fingers in your brain' stuff was grotesque and amusing. Her defeat was too easy but you can get away with that more in a comedy film. Had she been a baddie in a more serious Marvel film then such an easy defeat would have not went down well.

Special shout to Peter who was, as always, brilliant.

Oh, last thing; presumably you can say and do almost anything in a film and, provided it doesn't have tits or genitals, it won't be rated 18. Wolverine alone must have made gotten close to the number of 'fucks' South Park The Movie had, and then there were the multiple other ones from almost every other character, including a child. All other 'bad' words were used too including the 'dreaded' C word. Violence was aplenty with lots of blood, gore, death, amputation and even, memorably, a person having their skin removed, causing their internal organs to collapse in to a disgusting steaming pile.

Edited by DA Baracus

59 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Deadpool and Wolverine is rather good.

There are spoilers below.

Reveal hidden contents

Multiple laugh out loud moments as you'd expect, often due to multiple funny lines. Ripping the pish out of Marvel, Disney and Fox was funny and they did it often. One of the best was when Blind Al touched Dogpool's tongue and shouted "Motherfucker!" 

The various Deadpools were amusing, especially Nicepool. Likewise the few Wolverines/Logans we saw briefly.

The previous characters were tremendous. Laughed when it was revealed it wasn't Cap but Johnny Storm! About cheered out loud in the cinema when fucking Blade walked through the door! And yes, he says the thing! Enjoyed Sabretooth getting fucking done by Wolverine. Elektra somehow looks better than ever! Enjoyed the Juggernaut jokes.

Despite the comedy nature of the film, I think it's the best Wolverine we've had on screen. They really got over just how brutal, violent and fucking animalistic he is in way only Logan came close to. Really tapped in to his rage and sadness.

Cassandra Nova was a decent baddie. Her 'fingers in your brain' stuff was grotesque and amusing. Her defeat was too easy but you can get away with that more in a comedy film. Had she been a baddie in a more serious Marvel film then such an easy defeat would have not went down well.

Special shout to Peter who was, as always, brilliant.

Oh, last thing; presumably you can say and do almost anything in a film and, provided it doesn't have tits or genitals, it won't be rated 18. Wolverine alone must have made gotten close to the number of 'fucks' South Park The Movie had, and then there were the multiple other ones from almost every other character, including a child. All other 'bad' words were used too including the 'dreaded' C word. Violence was aplenty with lots of blood, gore, death, amputation and even, memorably, a person having their skin removed, causing their internal organs to collapse in to a disgusting steaming pile.

100% agree on all of this

Spoiler

Still trying to work out what was the best fight scene.

Was it Wade annihilating the TVA to N*Sync's "Bye Bye Bye" while performing the dance from the video? Deadpool and Wolverine battering f**k out of each other in a Honda Odyssey as "You're The One That I Want" from Grease played through the car stereo? Gambit, Blade, Elektra and Laura destroying Cassandra's goons? Wade and Logan wasting the Deadpool Corps to "Like a Prayer"?

Ryan Reynolds has apparently said it's "the most Deadpool of all the Deadpool movies" He's absolutely spot on with that, but as you say, it's also the best Wolverine we've ever seen. It was a huge risk for Jackman to come back after the ending they gave him in Logan, but they absolutely nailed it here.

I've said on here a few times that Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade is my all-time favourite film, and nothing else really comes close. This may well be the first worthy challenger.

ETA: I saw it in 4DX, which was absolutely brilliant, but I reckon I'll be sore as f**k tomorrow

Edited by Mark Connolly

13 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

100% agree on all of this

Hide contents

Still trying to work out what was the best fight scene.

Was it Wade annihilating the TVA to N*Sync's "Bye Bye Bye" while performing the dance from the video? Deadpool and Wolverine battering f**k out of each other in a Honda Odyssey as "You're The One That I Want" from Grease played through the car stereo? Gambit, Blade, Elektra and Laura destroying Cassandra's goons? Wade and Logan wasting the Deadpool Corps to "Like a Prayer"?

Ryan Reynolds has apparently said it's "the most Deadpool of all the Deadpool movies" He's absolutely spot on with that, but as you say, it's also the best Wolverine we've ever seen. It was a huge risk for Jackman to come back after the ending they gave him in Logan, but they absolutely nailed it here.

I've said on here a few times that Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade is my all-time favourite film, and nothing else really comes close. This may well be the first worthy challenger.

ETA: I saw it in 4DX, which was absolutely brilliant, but I reckon I'll be sore as f**k tomorrow

They did address at the start how it would be difficult to show reverence to Logan and Jackman's time in the role.

Of course they did this in the best Deadpool way possible by having him defile a corpse and jam Logan's claws up a TVA agent's arse.

Edited by DA Baracus

Forgot to mention

Henry Cavill's Wolverine! It's a natural fit. Also, Channing Tatum's Gambit, with the deliberately shit/stupid accent, was brilliant.

On 28/07/2024 at 09:42, 54_and_counting said:

RDJ signed on to play Dr Doom in the next Avengers team up film coming out in 2026

Knew he'd be back at somepoint (im guessing cap will be too somepoint down the line) but as a villain is a bold move

If they play it true to type you’ll never see Doom’s face anyway and he should also have a vague Eastern European accent, so basically anybody could have played him, really not seeing this hyped return as being a good thing!!!

They could have got him back to play the new Black Panther!!!

A9C792C0-7701-41A3-8DD5-70F4723FF6F2.jpeg

14 hours ago, King Kebab said:

If they play it true to type you’ll never see Doom’s face anyway and he should also have a vague Eastern European accent, so basically anybody could have played him, really not seeing this hyped return as being a good thing!!!

They could have got him back to play the new Black Panther!!!

A9C792C0-7701-41A3-8DD5-70F4723FF6F2.jpeg

Got to imagine the reveal behind it will lead to something other than him playing doom behind a mask then that's it he's done

Can see him playing an evil version of tony stark instead, maybe one under an influence etc, then they magically free him so that Iron Man can return in a later avengers team up 

Or something along they lines lol

• 1 month later...

Watched the first 2 episodes of Agatha All Along, Kathryn Hahn is just wonderful in it.  Probably won't appeal to the Marvel base, too many women over 40, but I really enjoyed it. 

13 hours ago, Baggio said:

Watched the first 2 episodes of Agatha All Along, Kathryn Hahn is just wonderful in it.  Probably won't appeal to the Marvel base, too many women over 40, but I really enjoyed it. 

Yeah it was a good start.

I'll watch anything with Kathryn Hahn or Aubrey Plaza, so both of them is ideal

22 hours ago, Baggio said:

Yeah. MCU fans do love a sausage fest. Probably why they downvoted "Captain Marvel 1 & 2", "The Marvels" and "Black Widow" before they were even released.

I loved "WandaVision" so I'm definitely looking forward to "Agatha".

I'll probably wait till all episodes have dropped and then binge them.

On 21/09/2024 at 13:34, Mark Connolly said:

Yeah it was a good start.

I'll watch anything with Kathryn Hahn or Aubrey Plaza, so both of them is ideal

I watched the first two episodes last night and enjoyed them, but I'm now wishing I'd re-watched Wandavision first to refresh my memory of what had happened to Agatha.

3 hours ago, Soapy FFC said:

I watched the first two episodes last night and enjoyed them, but I'm now wishing I'd re-watched Wandavision first to refresh my memory of what had happened to Agatha.

ScreenCrush on Youtube do good catch up videos for stuff like that.