Comic Book Movies (and TV Shows)

forehead7

Suicide Squad's sitting at 35% on Rotten Tomatoes, 8.6/10 on IMDb and 46/100 on Metacritic. Jeremy Jahns, whose reviews I usually really like, also gave it a really positive review. I think it's fair to say it's pretty divisive.

Fanboys are petitioning for Rotten Tomatoes to be closed down in response to the Suicide squad rating, stating that they are always biased towards Marvel movies.... Its  a fucking aggregate site and they don't review f**k all. Really pathetic this, oh ill go see it regardless, i rarely allow reviews to influence if im going to go see a film or not. Batman vs Superman got slaughtered and i recently watched it for the first time, thought it was a great film, not the best superhero film of all time or anything but still a fun watch. Afflecks batman was surprisingly good, completely different style from the Nolan or previous batmans and he has loads of potential. End of the day the trailers for Suicide Squad have been bloody fantastic and Jared Leto's joker looks fucking awesome, Margot Robbie's Harley Quinn looks right on the money aswell. Im gonna support the DC universe cause im desperate for a Solo film with Afflecks batman vs Leto's Joker and Robbies Harley Quinn.

I feels like DC could do with altering their trailer approach to movies. From trailers Batman v Superman had some promise of the unknown until they shoehorned Doomsday into one of the trailers. Something tells me Suicide Squad will be alright, but will still feel like a missed opportunity because it almost seems like they've made their trailers for it too good.

For what it's worth, I found Batman v Superman incredibly meh. I don't know how much freedom they got with the plot, but even with the extended copy streamlining it a bit better, there was simply too much packed into it. It also suffered due to Snyder's obsession with slow motion and big moment shots, which although granted he does it very well, he went OTT with them without really giving enough thought to build in-between. It's was like you were waiting for the next big thing to happen because the dross in-between was only barely watchable.

There was a YouTube account that I can't remember using the scenes at the farm in second Avengers film for example of what they should have done. In the Avengers film it didn't feel like it was a link. Whedon even fought to keep it in against the creative teams wishes. It felt a bigger part of the film because they took time with Hawkeye and the Widow/Hulk stories. They could have easily have used a more meaningful scene or two like this for Superman (the scene with Costner was good, but it still felt like they needed more) instead of blitzing past his scene. It was in a sense a sequel to the Man of Steel, yet he almost seemed secondary to Batman and the Justice League arc.

TL;DR. f**k off WB. You're not getting it, but I'll still grudgingly watch it like the hypocrite that I am.

Went to see Suicide Squad, I loved it. For me the DC bad guys are better that the hero's, Batman being the only decent hero. Think it has set us up for some decent future films. Dr Strange was advertised during it and I'm now looking forward to that coming out.

I went to see Suicide Squad tonight. I don't necessarily think it's a good movie, but I still enjoyed myself. I just found it good fun. Harley Quinn was really good, and Captain Boomerang took me by surprise (Jai Courtney wasn't horrific!).
However, I just didn't buy the whole premise that they were bad guys. Other than Harley Quinn, they didn't do anything to sell the main draw of the movie (Deadshot was the main culprit). The story didn't really make much sense, too. The bad guys' plan came out of nowhere with no explanation, and when shit went down, their first port of call was to call in a team they didn't even agree to.
It's definitely made me want a Joker/Harley Quinn movie, though.

SPOILERIFIC

I don't think we were supposed to buy that they were bad guys in the end. Especially Deadshot who they REALLY pushed as a guy who wasn't too bad, and Diablo who had the whole tortured thing going on. Thought Boomerang was enough of a dick tbf. Could buy him as a villain easily. And Harley Quinn was made a villain the most because she's going to be a pretty BIG villain soon I'd imagine. Hence why she got that treatment.

I can see them pushing the idea of Deadshot as a hero at some point down the line.

Thought the whole cast was pretty good. Didn't buy into the supervillains of the piece at all. Although the brother was absolutely badass. The Joker as the batshit nuts side villain was fantastic though and I'm absolutely itching to see him and Quinn take on Batman in the Affleck version of the movie, which I assume we're going to see.

• 2 weeks later...

Watched Suicide Squad, can see how people would hate it but I enjoyed it. Biggest problem they have is the Marvel films. The characters in the "DC-verse" shit over their Marvel counterparts, but this, and Batman v Superman, have both felt rushed, and its as if they decided halfway through they needed to make the films more "wacky" to differentiate them from the Marvel films. Some of the humour is pretty forced aswell.

Once they calm down these films will be sensational though, Harley Quinn was perfect, and even the Joker is played closer to the comic book version than in Nolans version. 

6 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

They shat themselves after Batman v Superman. I really liked the first trailer they showed, but the huge contrast between the first and last trailer is bizarre.

Completely different tones and tbh the film wasnt completely sure of the tone it wanted. Still enjoyed it tho, the casting overall was marvelous 

1470411028-cgetnftweaa5uaa.jpg

:wub::wub:

Edited by EdgarusQPFC

• 1 month later...