Doctor Who

yoda

Awful, awful episode.

Positives are Smith's cameo and Capaldi's performance. Other than that, it was dire all round.

Smith's cameo was the very worst thing about it. Smith was a very good doctor but we've got a new doctor now, clear the decks let him establish himself just as we always have. Don't bring back the old one already for yet more tedious schmaltz.

Other than that, it was alright. If there are some good scripts later in the series than Capaldi will rock them.

Smith's cameo was the very worst thing about it. Smith was a very good doctor but we've got a new doctor now, clear the decks let him establish himself just as we always have. Don't bring back the old one already for yet more tedious schmaltz.

Other than that, it was alright. If there are some good scripts later in the series than Capaldi will rock them.

This!

With the 50th, Time of the Doctor, and now this, it's as if Smith has 3 goodbyes.

A phone call without seeing him is all that was necessary

I enjoyed it, but agree that outside introducing the new Doctor it was a bit light

Review here http://stuartreviewsstuff.wordpress.com/2014/08/23/doctor-who-deep-breath-review-or-just-like-my-unearthly-child-tagline-im-moved-to-say-that-the-doctor-is-an-utter-b*****d-and-isnt-that-great/

Edited by SGMilne

Can't wait for Clara to f**k off tbh, and hopefully other characters disappear too, the story with improve greatly when Capaldi gets his own "companions" and destinations. His "lover" at the end was an intriguing plot opener though, hopefully she's not just some rip off River Song

Thought Capaldi was fabulous and the story ok. Matt Smith's appearance was unnecessary but goes in with the sentimental emotional shite that we got for a long time and caused me to turn off, hopefully Smith's departure will clear all that pish out as well but i highly doubt it.

And as much as Clara is hot she is fucking irritating.

Thought it was pish to start with but got better as it went along. Thought Capaldi was really good.

I still find myself slightly disturbed at how sexy I find the lizard woman.

I was just thinking I may have a fetish for girl on girl sidekicks.

Buffy the vampire slayer, xena the warrior princess and madame vastra, they've all been sex symbols of some description and I find them all less hot than their sidekicks.

Thought it was pish to start with but got better as it went along. Thought Capaldi was really good.

I still find myself slightly disturbed at how sexy I find the lizard woman.

Yeah I think some of the reactions on here are a bit harsh on he episode. I started a bit meh for me but I really grew into it - and some of Capaldi's dialogue was outstanding. I've never had to pause and rewind s much - loads of wee references.

I still like Clara (her hotness really keeps me interested) and the wee baldy guy adds something too. They definitely pushed the lesbian relationship thing which is interesting - at first those characters were a bit annoying but again, thy grew on me.

I've never been a massive fan of the show - but I'm already looking forward to next week.

Vastram Jenny and Strax probably should get a spin off on CBBC, I don't see how they'll really fit into this new supposedly darker series.

Must admit, the line from Strax about "not" melting him with acid. had me in stitches

That's some high quality critical analysis right there.

I quite enjoyed the Capaldi aspect, he does bumbling pretty well, and there are good characters etc. It's just the CGI and oversentimentality that put me off the last series and the CGI clearly isn't going away..

Seems to be just me who thought it was really good!

Thought Capaldi was excellent. There was just enough mystery about him to keep his character interesting but they didn't go down the Colin Baker route of making him completely unlikeable. He was quite amusing in parts, too.

Coleman was fine and Strax made me laugh with the acid joke. Admittedly he's basically doing the same joke over and over again but it still raises a smile.

The plot itself was engaging enough. Okay, the "hold your breath" idea isn't a million miles away from "don't blink", but "Blink" is such a good episode I don't mind them recycling elements of it. I quite liked the clanky noise the robot-humans made.

I didn't mind the Smith cameo. After every change of lead, Doctor Who has to help those younger viewers who've never experienced a regeneration before understand what is going on and I think the effective passing on of the baton served that purpose.

The ending shows promise and I'll be interested to find out what Heaven is and who Gomez's character is. I don't hate River as much as some fans but I really hope she doesn't turn out to be a Song incarnation... surely she's been done to death now?

Overall, a solid B.

Only slight letdowns being the fact that the dinosaur didn't really seem to contribute much to the plot, the "Girl in the Fireplace" reference did nothing for me, I'm getting bored of the "you've redecorated. I don't like it" line, and I'm not mad on the new tune... but I always say that when they change it so perhaps it will grow on me!