Doctor Who

yoda

I thought you'd be interested in it, seeing as it has similarities with your idea.

Its sounds very interesting tbh, shame theres doesnt seem to be any actual episode to watch though, just audio.

The whole plot about "no survivors" was scarily close to what I was thinking tbh :lol:

There's a pretty decent animation for Mission to the Unknown on Youtube/Dailymotion, etc. Not really worth bothering with though unless you're going to sit through all twelve episodes of the Daleks' Master Plan which it is a prequel to. Beware... only three of the twelve episodes still exist so watching it involves a lot of recon watching! Not the best place to start if you're thinking of watching the older episodes. Although you could skip episode seven as it has nothing to do with the rest of the story and is utter shite.

EDIT: Daleks' Master Alan! Stupid phone!

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

• 4 weeks later...

Serious question. I'm not sure if this has ever been answered in Who history but how does the Doctor measure time? If he is 2000 years old does he measure the passing of each day in hours? If so, to what daily and yearly cycle? I would imagine he measures in Gallifrey years, (why wouldn't he?), but how does that compare to Earth years? It would be coincidental if Gallifreyan days were 24 hours and years were 365 days.

This is just something that has bugged me for a while.

Perhaps not so coincidental?

Maybe any planet that can sustain human and humanoid life needs to be the same/very similar distance to the same type of sun as Earth, and therefore has a similar orbit (and thus similar years and days)? Scientists do often refer to a ‘Goldilocks’ zone that a planet needs to inhabit in order to have life, so perhaps Gallifrey is that sort of planet? Or perhaps the concept of time as we now understand it was introduced to Earth by someone from Gallifrey, relative to time on Gallifrey, meaning that the Doctor can be constant in his units when discussing time?

Or it could be that Gallifrey has a totally different way of measuring time, and when asked his age the Doctor always gives it in units humans from Earth would understand? Although this begs the question of how he can pilot the TARDIS to specific points in time. I would imagine that time has universal coordinates in order for him to be able to travel to certain points accurately from anywhere in the universe. Does ‘time’ as we understand flow more slowly at the centre of the universe and quicker at the edges of the universe? If the universe is expanding, how would one plot a jump in time to the past, where the universe would be ‘smaller’ as it were? But then if Timelords can traverse ALL of space and time, they must have start and end points for the universe and thus be able to measure expansion and so be able to account for it when travelling in time?

Personally I hold the theory that the universe goes in an infinite loop of expanding and shrinking, causing infinite big bangs. We begin with the big bang, which starts the process of the universe expanding and creating the planets, stars and all other matter, until all the energy in the universe is exhausted. At this time, the universe begins to shrink again. It’s like the big bang stretches the universe, like a bungee cord, with everything collapsing back in on itself to a single point, at which point the next big bang happens and the process starts all over again. This happens on an infinite loop, with no start and no end that we can comprehend. The laws of the universe tell us that energy cannot be destroyed and so is always there in some form.

Of course it is just a TV show and we’re massively overthinking things, but this sort of stuff fascinates me.

Of course it is just a TV show and we’re massively overthinking things, but this sort of stuff fascinates me.

Me too. The other variable would be that time moves differently under different circumstances, Einstein's relativity theory shows us this, so how you measure time on a daily basis would have to change. Maybe that is what we wouldn't understand? The measuring in itself is variable?

Serious question. I'm not sure if this has ever been answered in Who history but how does the Doctor measure time? If he is 2000 years old does he measure the passing of each day in hours? If so, to what daily and yearly cycle? I would imagine he measures in Gallifrey years, (why wouldn't he?), but how does that compare to Earth years? It would be coincidental if Gallifreyan days were 24 hours and years were 365 days.

This is just something that has bugged me for a while.

People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to affect, but actually, from a non-linear, non subjective point of view it is more like a big ball of wibbily wobbly timey wimey...stuff

Edited by Fide

Me too. The other variable would be that time moves differently under different circumstances, Einstein's relativity theory shows us this, so how you measure time on a daily basis would have to change. Maybe that is what we wouldn't understand? The measuring in itself is variable?

If we’re talking the flow of time, then if there is a constant or ‘normal’ value of how time flows then would it be possible to correct for the flow moving faster/slower under different circumstances? They can estimate time elapsed in relation to how close to a black hole you are for example which is the same principle.

People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to affect, but actually, from a non-linear, non subjective point of view it is more like a big ball of wibbily wobbly timey wimey...stuff

Yeah, I've seen this bit before. You said that sentence got away from you.

If we’re talking the flow of time, then if there is a constant or ‘normal’ value of how time flows then would it be possible to correct for the flow moving faster/slower under different circumstances? They can estimate time elapsed in relation to how close to a black hole you are for example which is the same principle.

Yes but how would you keep track of the variables if you were off saving the Universe at the same time? Maybe the Tardis has a timeometer relative to it's surroundings at any given time?

Yes but how would you keep track of the variables if you were off saving the Universe at the same time? Maybe the Tardis has a timeometer relative to it's surroundings at any given time?

Aye that would be difficult to track. Since they can travel all of time and space, Timelords surely know of all the conditions though? But then how would they have developed time travel in the first place, unless someone came back to tell them from the future. It’s a bit of a paradox. It also implies that you can’t actually change time, and that anything you do was always going to happen anyway so to speak.

Aye that would be difficult to track. Since they can travel all of time and space, Timelords surely know of all the conditions though? But then how would they have developed time travel in the first place, unless someone came back to tell them from the future. It’s a bit of a paradox. It also implies that you can’t actually change time, and that anything you do was always going to happen anyway so to speak.

I'm sure my physics teacher told me that you could only go backward/forward in time to the point at which the time machine was invented. Can't really remember the science behind it.

I'm sure my physics teacher told me that you could only go backward/forward in time to the point at which the time machine was invented. Can't really remember the science behind it.

Who was your physics teacher? If she was telling you it was possible to go back in time she should be sacked