The Wire

BradHorse

Shit I haven't been on this thread since I made that post, didn't anticipate the fall-out.

Regardless, I don't think my post required a spoiler -the fake serial killer was an ongoing storyline throughout the fifth season, it wasn't like a bobby ewing in the shower moment. I put the storyline out there as one I didn't enjoy and to see if other wire fans agreed.

Nonetheless apologies if I've spoiled it for people who haven't seen it.

Shit I haven't been on this thread since I made that post, didn't anticipate the fall-out.

Regardless, I don't think my post required a spoiler -the fake serial killer was an ongoing storyline throughout the fifth season, it wasn't like a bobby ewing in the shower moment. I put the storyline out there as one I didn't enjoy and to see if other wire fans agreed.

Nonetheless apologies if I've spoiled it for people who haven't seen it.

I haven't watched Dallas yet you utter cad.

an interesting bit of info from the guardian review of the difficult men book.

The genesis of The Wire is a more familiar story, because of its background in Simon's work as a Baltimore police reporter, and Homicide, the now-famous book that came out of it. But Martin's account is still interesting. If you've ever wondered why the final series is so much worse than the other four, it's all here. Simon's writing partner Ed Burns, a brilliant, arrogant former policeman whose surveillance operations inspired the titular wire, usually shot down his bad ideas and came up with good ones by the truck-load; but he was off working on the Iraq war mini-series Generation Kill. Simon, meanwhile, became carried away by a long-running feud with his former employer, the Baltimore Sun. The show's other main writers, particularly George Pelecanos, had little interest in the satirical newspaper storyline, and felt, surely correctly, that the subplot in which Dominic West's McNulty simulates a serial killing spree was poorly judged.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Started watching this a couple days ago and currently 8 episodes into the first season. I've only heard great things and I'm really enjoying it so far!

Just finished! Fantastic show, really enjoyed it.

Highlight

Lowlight

Omar deserved a better death :(

Actually, on reflection, the best moment of the entire 5 series had to be when Omar walked out to pick up some cereal in his dressing gown whilst everyone ran away from him and he strolls into the shop and casually asks "You got any honey nut?" and then walks out, stands by a window, gets the drugs thrown to him without having to say a word and then just walks back home and all you hear from his partner is "They never had any honey nut?".

There was just something about the scene that I found hilarious.

I thought that was done brilliantly. Would have hated a cliche dramatic death scene. Even the mixing up of the ID tag was very clever. Just another dead body.

You're right, it was the best way to do it, it's just me being selfish.

It was just sad to see a character that was so commanding being killed suddenly without him even knowing it was about to happen.

That's what I though was so great about it. This badass character killed by a kid. And the fact that it barely registered as a big deal.

That is the beauty of the show though, nearly every major incident happens without dramatic music, there's no slow-mos, and no fuss, it just happens and people move on. A classic of a TV series.

I read something the other day which blew me away.

When they first started casting The Wire, the number one choice to play McNulty was:

Ray Winstone!

Bet365-Advert-Featuring-Ray-Winston.jpg

They quickly realised he couldn't do a convincing Baltimore accent, and the next in line was:

John C. Reilly!

john-c-reilly.jpg

He turned down the chance of an audition because he "didn't want to do a series".

Can you imagine how different the show could've been?

• 4 weeks later...

Started this over my Christmas break as my brother had downloaded the seasons onto the Sky box. Rattled through 3 seasons in a week and a bit and currently just started season 4. Omar is an absolute nutcase and McNultys partner who he goes on the lash with is a great laugh (his name escapes me).

Started this over my Christmas break as my brother had downloaded the seasons onto the Sky box. Rattled through 3 seasons in a week and a bit and currently just started season 4. Omar is an absolute nutcase and McNultys partner who he goes on the lash with is a great laugh (his name escapes me).

How can you forget The Bunk?

I read something the other day which blew me away.

When they first started casting The Wire, the number one choice to play McNulty was:

Ray Winstone!

Bet365-Advert-Featuring-Ray-Winston.jpg

They quickly realised he couldn't do a convincing Baltimore accent, and the next in line was:

John C. Reilly!

john-c-reilly.jpg

He turned down the chance of an audition because he "didn't want to do a series".

Can you imagine how different the show could've been?

Similar to Breaking Bad where the network initially wanted to cast John Cusack or Matthew Broderick in the Walter White role.

Watched the first seven episodes of this yesterday, a bit of a slow burner but I was expecting that. Is it quite slow all the way through or does it pick up through time? I'm enjoying it none the less.

In all honesty it really becomes a classic in S3 , 1 is good but a little hard to follow, 2 I liked but is definetly the weakest one although funny enough sets up much of the rest of the Wire , 3 onwards is brilliant. Stick with it

In all honesty it really becomes a classic in S3 , 1 is good but a little hard to follow, 2 I liked but is definetly the weakest one although funny enough sets up much of the rest of the Wire , 3 onwards is brilliant. Stick with it

Five is clearly the weakest.

Cheers. I do find it enjoyable but I am finding that even half way through the first season you still haven't scratched the surface with most the characters but I was expecting that so I'll definitely be sticking with it.