Jobs

Tryfield

At least you tried to make a good thread, Tryfield. A pity that it's been fucked up by the usual suspects turning it into one of these pedantic 'debates' that they love so much.

I'm not. It's dependent on too many variables so it can change all the time, besides which, it isn't anything to do with the point I was making.

Well, no. I agree it's a bit of a red herring.

It's a bit of a rite of passage. Trainees know their salaries will be low in the first two years, and there is a good chance at the end of it they will be told "see ya, thanks for the fish". It's a very stressful time.

I'm not. It's dependent on too many variables so it can change all the time, besides which, it isn't anything to do with the point I was making.

But you did say:

"Junior doctors can realistically expect to be spending far more hours in a hospital than a trainee solicitor will spend in the office (bear in mind, I have worked with both trainee solicitors and junior doctors)"

Which is disingenuous as it overlooks the reality that trainee solicitors do much of their work out of office hours. You'd be as well determining the salaries of MPs by how many hours they spent sitting in the House of Commons or teachers by the number of hours they are physically teaching a class of pupils.

But you did say:

"Junior doctors can realistically expect to be spending far more hours in a hospital than a trainee solicitor will spend in the office (bear in mind, I have worked with both trainee solicitors and junior doctors)"

Which is disingenuous as it overlooks the reality that trainee solicitors do much of their work out of office hours. You'd be as well determining the salaries of MPs by how many hours they spent sitting in the House of Commons or teachers by the number of hours they are physically teaching a class of pupils.

The workload of a trainee solicitor will vary, they don't, as a general rule, tend to be so busy over the Christmas period. There's not really a "quiet" time in medicine. Ever.

Ahh...moving the goal posts. Fair enough.

I clearly took from his original comment that "any stripe" meant qualified, not trainees, trainees don't have a stripe so to speak.

The point is, this is a job advert for a qualified solicitor. I think, though I could be wrong, that most people would expect solicitors to be earning much more than that. That's certainly the case with the people I work with.

I must admit to being very surprised at seeing what the wages for both solicitors and trainee solicitors actually were. I expected them to be higher by a fair bit.

You can still get the massive salaries that people think all solicitors are paid, but you'll have to go to London and work for Slaughter & May or such like - their trainees get paid more than your average solicitor in Scotland.

I must admit to being very surprised at seeing what the wages for both solicitors and trainee solicitors actually were. I expected them to be higher by a fair bit.

You can still get the massive salaries that people think all solicitors are paid, but you'll have to go to London and work for Slaughter & May or such like - their trainees get paid more than your average solicitor in Scotland.

Yeah, absolutely. At the top of the profession there are 6 figure salaries sloshing about. But not many get those. And of course advocates are very well paid.

For your bog standard "gonnae sell my hoose" egg and spoon lawyers in the town centre, the salary quoted there is pretty realistic i expect.

Certainly when i went to Uni I assumed qualified solicitors made a lot more than they do. That's not why I didn't go into law in the end, but certainly financially i've never regretted my decision.

As a comparison, qualified (or almost qualified) Accountants in industry when I was in Scotland were earning 30-35k in Glasgow/Edinburgh with an average of 5-7 years experience post University.

I was certainly in that bracket by the time I was 26/27.

However, accountants in the profession won't be getting that and outside the big three cities (include Aberdeen), won't be getting anything like that at the equivalent levels of experience generally (there will of course be exceptions).

I was nowhere near that bracket in my mid-20's.

Yeah, there is something about her, but the little upturn of her nose (and the slovenliness. Did you see the state of her bedroom?) really gets to me.

She can leave her knickers on my floor any time.

The cock teasing b...

Sorry, got a bit carried away there.

I clearly took from his original comment that "any stripe" meant qualified, not trainees, trainees don't have a stripe so to speak.

Well then I'd like to thank H_B for the startling revelation that GP's earn more than £34k.

Donald Findlay makes more than the cute blondie in the BBC "Junior Doctors" programme. Well done. :rolleyes:

:lol:

Aye, very good.

Ahh...moving the goal posts. Fair enough.

It was pretty clear what he meant to be fair. You chose to interpret it literally to make your point.

Just as in fact the whole debate was sparked by Lyn-Marie interpreting the "well paid" remark literally when it was likewise pretty clear he meant in comparison to expectations of such a professional salary.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

I was aware at what a junior doctor roughly earned due to a colleague being married one, but I'm quite surprised at how little a trainee solicitor can actually make. That said, I am also of the opinion that 34k is not 'that well paid' for a professional salary

It was pretty clear what he meant to be fair. You chose to interpret it literally to make your point.

Just as in fact the whole debate was sparked by Lyn-Marie interpreting the "well paid" remark literally when it was likewise pretty clear he meant in comparison to expectations of such a professional salary.

Indeed.

And my point was really more, as Michael acknowledged, that the role of "lawyer" is assumed by Joe Public to be a Beemer and cheeky holiday in the Maldives type job, whereas in fact it's just an average professional salary for many of those in the profession.

I think if you took a straw poll and said to people "What do you think a 34 year old solicitor will make a year" most people would assume something close to 45-50 K.

However, accountants in the profession won't be getting that and outside the big three cities (include Aberdeen), won't be getting anything like that at the equivalent levels of experience generally (there will of course be exceptions).

I was nowhere near that bracket in my mid-20's.

Yeah, that's exactly why I said industry, Accountants in big 4 firms and wider practice are another group who don't earn as much as people think they do.

She can leave her knickers on my floor any time.

The cock teasing b...

Sorry, got a bit carried away there.

Evidence please? :P