Jobs

Tryfield

It depends because there is no standard pay-scale as a solicitor, but from leaving school you've got 4 years for the LLB, 1 year for the Diploma in Legal Practice, 18 months of a traineeship, then it's whatever you can get. Your bog-standard solicitor is likely to take several years to get onto that sort of pay-grade, but if you get a lucky break you might be onto that sort of salary within a couple of years of your traineeship ending.

I don't know how long it takes a nurse to become a home manager, or indeed if being a home manager is restricted to nurses, but it's hardly going to be decades.

My missus took the advanced 2 year LLB at Napier and did her Diploma at Edinburgh, but her traineeship lasts for 2 years. Her current salary is much less than mine and i am not working in the field i graduated in and I barely work a 37 hour week. I don't know if that speaks volumes about the underpayment of solicitors or whether i landed a cushy number.

I do know however she has to deal with a lot of shit that gets pawned off on her similar to the trainee/apprenticeship of trades/nurses/doctors by the qualified solicitors within the business. I do feel that they get a hard time for the job they do, which is as essential to society as a Nurse(which my mother is) or a Doctor. (which her father is).

I have been approached by 5 companies in the past few months with job offers looking for an offshore surveyor.

I am quite content with the company I am with just now but anyone who is qualified and looking for a job then feel free to send me a PM and I shall pass on the names of the companies looking.

P.S. I would urge any young man undecided what career route to take to head towards Surveying as long as you could cope with an offshore lifestyle. It may be difficult to be away half the year if you have family but it is good money and you don't have to spend anything whilst you are away.

I do know however she has to deal with a lot of shit that gets pawned off on her similar to the trainee/apprenticeship of trades/nurses/doctors by the qualified solicitors within the business. I do feel that they get a hard time for the job they do, which is as essential to society as a Nurse(which my mother is) or a Doctor. (which her father is).

Yep, and I am willing to bet she is being billed to clients at a pretty extravagant hourly rate.

Trainees are a boon for solicitors.

Yep, and I am willing to bet she is being billed to clients at a pretty extravagant hourly rate.

Trainees are a boon for solicitors.

Probably, she had to relocate to Thurso as there were about 300 students fighting for 20 traineeships in Edinburgh. There is a lot of oil money up there but the only ones in the company that seem to prosper are the partners. As as soon as people qualify, they leave immediately.

There is a surprising amount of pro bono work that goes on, far more than i thought. I don't however doubt this is evened out, but like i said its the partners that choose to withdraw a large salary...well in that firm anyway.

Edited by Bobby Skidmarks

Fwiw, I emplore any school leavers with a couple of highers in maths and a science, who aren't complete muppets but don't want to go to university, to do trainee designer programmes with one of the engineering companies. I think you need an HNC in engineering and are taken on at 18/19 on decent money primarily doing CAD. By the time you're 22 the pay is about £37k, which is more than the graduates start on. Piss easy job as well, by the looks of it.

One of my mates is looking to do that once he gets his degree(we're studying Civil Engineering). I don't think I could do that though, seems a bit repetitive and boring.

The point stands - it's bloody excellent pay for what is essentially drawing pictures!

Once you get the hang of the software then yeah, it's pretty easy. First assignment we had to do using AutoCAD was a bitch, had no idea what to do, there's so many wee tools that make everything a lot simpler that I didn't realise existed!

I have been approached by 5 companies in the past few months with job offers looking for an offshore surveyor.

I am quite content with the company I am with just now but anyone who is qualified and looking for a job then feel free to send me a PM and I shall pass on the names of the companies looking.

P.S. I would urge any young man undecided what career route to take to head towards Surveying as long as you could cope with an offshore lifestyle. It may be difficult to be away half the year if you have family but it is good money and you don't have to spend anything whilst you are away.

My brother is a MEP Quantity Surveyor, started off as an Apprentice Electrician but took the surveyor route and is currently commanding 6 figure salaries wherever he goes in the world and he's only just turned 30.

He's got no qualifications other than his electrical trade.

I know for a fact that staff piping designers in my work are on that much, either 4 or 5 years after joining the company. It's about £15 an hour that they're on so money is prob propped up by offshore surveys etc.

The point stands - it's bloody excellent pay for what is essentially drawing pictures!

£37k @ £15 per hour. You'd have to work 47 hours a week with no time off for holidays.

f**k that. I struggle to do the 45 I'm contracted for.

It would really piss you off to work that long and then the government grabs 40% of money earned over £35,000.

And I'd disagree that the money is for drawing pictures. It's 3D solid modelling these days. :D

As mildly amusing as Ad Lib struggling to justify his self-importance might have been this thread has been ruined.

I don't think it's been ruined at all. I found it quite interesting. It has however diverged well away from what it's original intention was, something far from unique in P&B terms.

Yeah, that's exactly why I said industry, Accountants in big 4 firms and wider practice are another group who don't earn as much as people think they do.

Yes, I recognised what you said for what it meant but I think a non-accountant wouldn't have made the distinction most likely and so it was worthwhile pointing out the difference explicitly.

£37k @ £15 per hour. You'd have to work 47 hours a week with no time off for holidays.

f**k that. I struggle to do the 45 I'm contracted for.

It would really piss you off to work that long and then the government grabs 40% of money earned over £35,000.

Well, no, the government grabs 40% of money earned over £42,475.

And he suggested their income included additionals for offshore work rather than all being paid at £15 an hour. I think we can assume he's not talking about 47 hour weeks.

Well, no, the government grabs 40% of money earned over £42,475.

Well, no, the government grabs 40% of earnings over £35k.

Yous adding in the personal allowance of £7,475 which is the value which is you earn above your taxed at the lower rate of 20%.

so if your on say £37k your tax would be:

0% on £7,425

20% on £27,575

40% on £2,000

The 40% tax band for next year is being lowered to £34,370

As mildly amusing as Ad Lib struggling to justify his self-importance might have been this thread has been ruined.

Agreed. I came on to this thread because my wife is being made reduntant. What was a good idea by Tryfield has been hijacked. Any chance of someone splitting this thread and taking the debate elsewhere?

Yous adding in the personal allowance of £7,475 which is the value which is you earn above your taxed at the lower rate of 20%.

0% on £7,425

20% on £27,575

40% on £2,000

:lol:

Oh dear. Rangers fan in doesn't understand how tax system works shocker!

I'm an Aberdeen fan who doesn't understand how the tax system works either.

My accountant understands it for me.

Edit: Hopefully.

I really should pay more attention to his working out of my self assessment. I just look at the bottom line and hope for the best.

Edited by Suspect Device

• 4 weeks later...

0% on £7,425

20% on £27,575

40% on £2,000

You're wrong. It's 40% over £42500

Edited by MotownClic