Jobs

Tryfield

Why's it shit? Serious question as I always thought it would be a good job to have, and needless to say I'm one of the thousands who have chucked my hat in the ring for it...

The majority of your day is spent on your own looking out a windows, trying not to fall asleep, nobody to talk to for hours on end and if you happen to make a mistake you get hammered for it. The only passengers you ever have any interaction with seem to be complete arseholes that shouldn't be out in public by themselves.

Apart from that it's dandy.

What job did you get offered?

Equipment Engineer (or whatever the equivalent title is there!?) think I've still got the offer kicking around somewhere if you'd like me to be more specific.

The folk I met were nice enough, and the interview process was fine - I was lucky enough to have three job offers on the table at the same time and whilst I took great delight in turning one of them down I felt quite bad about phoning your place 'cause they'd been so good with me ... and once again they were excellent when I phoned.

Edited by Ned Nederlander

Equipment Engineer (or whatever the equivalent title is there!?) think I've still got the offer kicking around somewhere if you'd like me to be more specific.

The folk I met were nice enough, and the interview process was fine - I was lucky enough to have three job offers on the table at the same time and whilst I took great delight in turning one of them down I felt quite bad about phoning your place 'cause they'd been so good with me ... and once again they were excellent when I phoned.

Would that have been working in the mould shop repairing the equipment what has came off the machines or putting the equipment in the machines at the job changes? I'm a machine operator in the hot end. Our place has been chaos the past week due to the power cuts in Alloa. Oh well that's me now Harry weekenders so it's happy days all round.

The majority of your day is spent on your own looking out a windows, trying not to fall asleep, nobody to talk to for hours on end and if you happen to make a mistake you get hammered for it. The only passengers you ever have any interaction with seem to be complete arseholes that shouldn't be out in public by themselves.

Apart from that it's dandy.

^^

Failed the aptitude test imo.

Would that have been working in the mould shop repairing the equipment what has came off the machines or putting the equipment in the machines at the job changes?

It would have been as an Equipment Engineer - basically involved in preventative maintenance, fault finding, improvements etc of any manufacturing equipment or plant machinery - not sure what area I'd have been in though.

• 4 years later...
On 20/09/2015 at 10:24, blanco said:

Scotrail are recruiting 100 train drivers. £43k basic and a final salary pension scheme.

http://www.scotrail.co.uk/About-scotrail/careers

On 01/10/2015 at 07:19, mizfit said:

I've applied, not feeling too great about my chances having seen over 12'000 applied at last count.

On 01/10/2015 at 07:23, Deeboy said:

I've applied, too. No chance I'm getting anywhere near it considering I ripped the utter pish out of their questions.

On 01/10/2015 at 08:30, 1320Lichtie said:

Abdy and their dug has.

On 01/10/2015 at 16:06, blanco said:

Train driving is far from great, it's fucking shit.

Apart from the wages obviously.

Just wondering how many happy train drivers there are on here?

I’m pissed off with my job but I’m not sure now is the time to jump ship. Or train.

43 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
13 hours ago, Scary Bear said:
I’m pissed off with my job but I’m not sure now is the time to jump ship. Or train.

Depends what depot you ask.

I was really wondering if any of the folk who applied back in 2015 were now train drivers.

5 hours ago, Chicken Wing said:
13 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

Moi

Does life fly by?

If I was looking for a job at the moment I'd be right into this tracing malarkey, not bad money and it mainly involves sitting at home watching netflix. Worst that can happen is having to make a few nosy phone calls and telling people to stay indoors for a bit. 

A pal once told me you got pensioned off if you hit 3 folk with a train which for a brief spell made me want to do nothing else but be a train driver on the route through the statistically most suicide prone parts of the country till I was informed this was bollocks.
Indeed bollocks and something I'm sure only a Psychopath would want to experience as well. The stories I've been told are bad enough without actually experiencing it myself.