Italia-scozia A San Siro

Guest real bauscia

Guest real bauscia

Last saturday I went to Milan to see the match between Italy and Scotland...

it must be said that italians weren't interessed in it, but I went mostly to see the Tartan Army "at work", than the Scottish team itself.

Some hours before the match, my friend and I decided to go to Duomo, to see how the thousands of Scots were spending the time. The first thing I remember is the smell of beer (unbelievable to see so much) all over the square. Than, balls flying from one part to another, in a very funny way I think...the big surprise, even if I knew the rivalry between the Scots and the english, was when when I saw shirts of Argentina (one with 86 HAND OF GOD written behind, I'm still laughing)...I must say, they were all nice and friendly people, I don't think any nation supporters have ever behaved so good in Italy.

the trip from Duomo to Lotto was absolutely fantastic...in a wagon with nothing but Scots, singing their chants, and their anthem (I know it so I could sing it with them...then the nearest to me was very positively surprised, and wanted to shake my hand...) B)

in the stadium it was different, no one of the italians seemed to share our sympathy for the guests (I was in the North Stand, la Curva Nord, where I usually go to see my Inter FC), placed opposite to us (where usually AC Milan fans stand). They began to whistle any scottish song, I think it was because they don't see differences between english, scots, welsh, irish, just to hate guests coming to San Siro... :(

more...I wasn't able to support Italy that night, with that monkey of Gattuso playing and Lippi sitting on the bench...

the tartan army made a good impression, in the 2nd half singing the same chant

for 15 minutes without stop, italians could only whistle them (all people coming from different places, we couldn't organize to sing anything, except for the anthem, Fratelli d'Italia)

I can only say that my love for Scotland rose again...but please change your keeper!!!! douglas...terrible!! :P

I thought the Itialian fans where amazing in the square and especially for the 50 minutes we where locked in.They appluaded us at the end and tried to join in with our songs,so we sung one of there's so they could join in.

The Tarten Army are fantastic bunch of people and should make all Scots proud.

Guest Pompey

Frattelli d'Italia is a lovely anthem :)

Shame about your fans though, wouldn't go to Italy after the way the Welsh were treated there :(

Guest real bauscia

Shame about your fans though, wouldn't go to Italy after the way the Welsh were treated there :(

449636[/snapback]

yes, I remember...unfortunately there were some "people" dropping "something" from the 2nd...level (I don't know...how do you call it? in italian it is the "secondo anello", litterally "the 2nd ring" but I'm not sure it is correct in english).

However, I must say that also some welsh fans, before and after the match, did not behave so well, as the Scots did for example... <_< this just to tell the whole story.

Guest Pompey

Second tier, we call it, pronounced in the same way as "beer" :) Your English is good, puts my Italian to shame!!

Don't know the bad bits about the Welsh fans, I only heard from them, so they wouldn't say the bad bits!

Second tier, we call it, pronounced in the same way as "beer" :) Your English is good, puts my Italian to shame!!

Don't know the bad bits about the Welsh fans, I only heard from them, so they wouldn't say the bad bits!

449700[/snapback]

Cardiff fought Swansea... then they ganged up to fight Italy. ;)

For all the fuss the Welsh FA created, it must be remembered that when UEFA investigated, not only were the Itlain FA fined, but the Welsh themselves were hit with a hefty fine for the actions of their far from innocent fans. :rolleyes:

Guest real bauscia

I have a question for you all...

does the Scottish team take support from all but Celtic and Rangers fans?

I ask that because I always see Irish flags at Celtic Park and Union Jacks at Ibrox(don't they hate the english?) :huh:

Guest Pompey

When Scotland sung the UK National Anthem before games, Rangers fans were in the majority. Celtic fans would boo the Rangers players, Rangers fans would boo the Celtic players.

Now, Celtic fans tend to support Ireland, Rangers fans support England and the North of Ireland.

The vast majority of Scottish teams support Scotland national team, now everyone boos everyone :)

Guest BRFC Tartan Army
When Scotland sung the UK National Anthem before games, Rangers fans were in the majority. Celtic fans would boo the Rangers players, Rangers fans would boo the Celtic players.

Now, Celtic fans tend to support Ireland, Rangers fans support England and the North of Ireland.

The vast majority of Scottish teams support Scotland national team, now everyone boos everyone :)

449805[/snapback]

I met quite a few Rangers fans over in Milan

I think the Rangers/Celtic Ireland/England thing is a generalisation, and there are loads who support scotland too. (i.e. crippler on here) However the few idiots who do support England/Ireland just cause their celtic/rangers fans give others a bad reputation.

Guest Pompey

Oh, of course it's a generalisation, but it's a relatively true generalisation.

BRFCTA - Do you mean Berwick or Glasgow Rangers? ;)

I remember in my youth, when bigotry never even crossed my mind, going to Hampden to watch Scotland v Ireland (ROI).

Only tickets we could get were for the old Celtic end. When Mark Lawrenson scored for Ireland I grew up in a shot and bigotry came to the forefront of my mind immiediately.

How the f'k guys with Scottish accents can cheer on another country was beyond me at the time, and still is. <_<

Guest Pompey

I wasn't at the RoI game at TNS a wee while ago, but a few mates were, and they were on the verge of punching some Scots supporting the RoI through reasons of bhigotry.

I got a frantic phone call at half time "Tam, gonny talk to wee Jack, he's about to kick f**k out of 5 guys in front of us and they're twice the size of him"

Me "Jack, there's 30.000 empty seats, go away from them so they don't annoy you and jump them outside."

Talking about this to my R.E teacher at school today. We were discussing how unpatriotic Scots were. This guy grew up in Greenock, and is Catholic and never shuts up about how much he loves the Sellick. He comes out with the line, "I don't see myself as Scottish at all, I see myself as Irish. If Scotland were playing Ireland, I'd support Ireland" . This kind of confused me, so I asked if he was even remotely irish. He replied no. So I asked him if it was becuase he was a Celtic fan. And he changed the subject. That from an R.E. teacher. :huh:

Talking about this to my R.E teacher at school today. We were discussing how unpatriotic Scots were. This guy grew up in Greenock, and is Catholic and never shuts up about how much he loves the Sellick. He comes out with the line, "I don't see myself as Scottish at all, I see myself as Irish. If Scotland were playing Ireland, I'd support Ireland" . This kind of confused me, so I asked if he was even remotely irish. He replied no. So I asked him if it was becuase he was a Celtic fan. And he changed the subject. That from an R.E. teacher.  :huh:

450024[/snapback]

Hughsie, I reckon it could be a generation thing. Lots of folk my age are like that, I thought that school teachers would be better than that though.

If you kids are educated to be Scottish and not just Catholics we will not have the problem in the future, :)

Guest Pompey

I must say, I went to a Catholic school, and no teacher was like that. A few pupils were, which led to a few scraps in the yard - I support Scotland first, last and everywhere in between, and then I support Israel. If I can do that, I don't see why Catholics can't.

Hughsie, I reckon it could be a generation thing. Lots of folk my age are like that, I thought that school teachers would be better than that  though.

If you kids are educated to be Scottish and not just Catholics we will not have the problem in the future, :)

450039[/snapback]

That's the problem, and this isn't the schools fault by the way, the Old Firm supporting kids at school are brought up with bigotry at the football, it is part of being an Old Firm supporter. The school does teach the pupils agaisnt bigotry and for the vast majority this works. But you still get the usual idiots that cause problems with sectarianism, and usually, surprise surprise, they are Old Firm supporters.

I must say, I went to a Catholic school, and no teacher was like that. A few pupils were, which led to a few scraps in the yard - I support Scotland first, last and everywhere in between, and then I support Israel. If I can do that, I don't see why Catholics can't.

450050[/snapback]

I'm with you Pompey. I am Scottish, born and brought up here and I'll always support Scotland before anyone else. My mum was born in Ireland though and I support Ireland in World Cups etc, when Scotland aren't involved. And I'm pleased to say, the majority of Celtic and Rangers fans I know think the same. :)

A few dodgy comments on this thread. Its a huge (and untrue in my opinion) generalisation to say Celtic fans support Ireland over Scotland and Rangers fans support England. True of the hardcore bigots at Parkhead and Ibrox perhaps (who are mainly just daft wee neds) but overall there are loads of Old Firm fans following Scotland, although they tend to keep it quiet (probably because they expect grief from other Scotland fans over it).

Also a bit puzzled by the idea that kids "should be educated to be Scottish and not just Catholics" - do you think pupils at Catholic schools are trained to be Irish or something? Kids arent educated to be Catholics anyway, the whole real difference between RC and other state schools is that the religious services are Catholic rather than Protestant.

As for folk with Scottish accents supporting Ireland Im against it if its just down to the fact that theyre ignorant Celtic fans who think its the thing to do, but if they have Irish parentage or close to links to Ireland you have to accept it. If my kids were brought up in another country I would understand if they still felt they were Scottish.

Archived