Big Rangers Administration/Liquidation Thread - All chat here!

I wanted to post this on the Daily Record site to counter the conspiracy theories that abound, but you need to register your Facebook account and I can't be bothered with that nonsense, so you fine people will have to put up with my ramblings.

As those with sense know, the transfer embargo and fine is from the SFA not the SPL - with that in mind, the timings point is pretty much in line with their recent decisions...

Dundee November 2010 - deducted 25 points mid season and banned from signing players until they came out of administration. That decision was taken while they were still trying to find someone to replace Melville. It put Dundee on minus 10 points and 20 points behind Morton yet they still found someone to take over.

Livingston August 2009 - relegated to Division 3, decision taken while negotiations were ongoing with the prospective new board but who had at that point, based their takeover on First Division football. That could have driven them away but they still decided to get involved and take over the club.

I am not denying that the timing of all 3 decisions was tough on the teams, but the Rangers fans dribbling about the timing being an intentional nail in the coffin just doesn't stand up when you consider the above examples. It's the past mismanagement of finances and outstanding questions (EBT and HMRC in particular) that are the main things preventing a swift takeover. Dundee and Livingston had debts and creditors but they were transparent to their administrators and the interested parties. It's the mire Rangers find themselves in and the stuff that's been coming out of the woodwork that's the issue.

It's also worth noting that if Craig Whyte hadn't delayed the original hearing from the 6th April then this would have come out a couple of weeks ago! The timing is down to him demanding a delay in the first place.

Regarding the punishment, the SFA have their hands tied by the SPL in terms of what they can do to penalise Rangers competition wise, so to punish them with the transfer embargo and financial penalties is pretty much all they can do, other than prevent them entering the cup competitions. This really is the only way they can show they're not tolerating such financial mismanagement in Scottish Football any longer and with that in mind I think that the SFA is for once being relatively consistent and should be commended.

I think Rangers are forgetting one thing with all this boycott and protest nonsense. If they're liquidated, the SFA don't have to put them in the 3rd Division. They probably will but it would be funny to see them down in the junior leagues because off how much they complained. They say they'll boycott games. Fine. How about just not existing, even as a new club?

magee we all know you'd do the same but the dole and crisis loans don't break the tax threshold do they?

To be honest i charge so much for boiler services etc these days i could buy Rangers :D

but im a miserable fucker ;)

Its actually a very clever punishment from the SFA.

If Rangers move into "newco" and want to stay in the SPL they are fucked over, if they take the hit that they should after being liquidated then they reapply for a new licence in the SFL and start again from division 3 without any penalties. The way I see it is that this is the SFA forcing the SPLs hand to not allow any "newco" straight entry into the SPL as if nothing happened.

I agree - a smart move that may well see them minimise the damage to SFA reputation from this whole sorry affair.

I'm also not popping the champagne corks yet....................

Going back to Whyte's "you can whistle for your money" comments, what right do the SPL have to impose a direct penalty on an individual?

I'm curious. I can understand they can fine Rangers, but Whyte personally? Really?

I wanted to post this on the Daily Record site to counter the conspiracy theories that abound, but you need to register your Facebook account and I can't be bothered with that nonsense, so you fine people will have to put up with my ramblings.

As those with sense know, the transfer embargo and fine is from the SFA not the SPL - with that in mind, the timings point is pretty much in line with their recent decisions...

Dundee November 2010 - deducted 25 points mid season and banned from signing players until they came out of administration. That decision was taken while they were still trying to find someone to replace Melville. It put Dundee on minus 10 points and 20 points behind Morton yet they still found someone to take over.

Livingston August 2009 - relegated to Division 3, decision taken while negotiations were ongoing with the prospective new board but who had at that point, based their takeover on First Division football. That could have driven them away but they still decided to get involved and take over the club.

I am not denying that the timing of all 3 decisions was tough on the teams, but the Rangers fans dribbling about the timing being an intentional nail in the coffin just doesn't stand up when you consider the above examples. It's the past mismanagement of finances and outstanding questions (EBT and HMRC in particular) that are the main things preventing a swift takeover. Dundee and Livingston had debts and creditors but they were transparent to their administrators and the interested parties. It's the mire Rangers find themselves in and the stuff that's been coming out of the woodwork that's the issue.

It's also worth noting that if Craig Whyte hadn't delayed the original hearing from the 6th April then this would have come out a couple of weeks ago! The timing is down to him demanding a delay in the first place.

Regarding the punishment, the SFA have their hands tied by the SPL in terms of what they can do to penalise Rangers competition wise, so to punish them with the transfer embargo and financial penalties is pretty much all they can do, other than prevent them entering the cup competitions. This really is the only way they can show they're not tolerating such financial mismanagement in Scottish Football any longer and with that in mind I think that the SFA is for once being relatively consistent and should be commended.

There's a big difference in still taking over clubs like dungdee and Livi after they have been penalised. They weren't even a little close to the shit rankgers are in, or the amount of debt they owe.

People with a couple of million spare could take over these clubs regardless of how they found themselves, but the amounts we are talking about for rankgers is silly money that no one is going to spend without wanting a major return on their investment.

Edited by PeeTeeJag

To be honest i charge so much for boiler services etc these days i could buy Rangers :D

but im a miserable fucker ;)

20 club from the old wifey down the road for a substandard pump does not amount to much either.

I am not denying that the timing of all 3 decisions was tough on the teams, but the Rangers fans dribbling about the timing being an intentional nail in the coffin just doesn't stand up when you consider the above examples.

That's because Rangers fans are mostly self-obsessed spoiled brats used to getting things their own way. They were never going to handle bad news in an even semi-philisophical way. I wonder if they'll have any toys left to throw out the pram by the time the SPL punishment is eventually delivered. I'm hoping for some titles being stripped off them.

RM Breakdown Ahoy!

Feel free to requote your favourite from that tear-stained vitriol.

:lol:

That and banning away fans during the Scottish Cup. Any ticket sales would stay in our pockets....not their member clubs!!

Don't think that poster has quite grasped the concept of gate sharing yet.

Edited by qpsnapper

I agree - a smart move that may well see them minimise the damage to SFA reputation from this whole sorry affair.

I think the SFA will have been heavily influenced in their thinking as to UEFA's stance on this. Rangers still due money to Rapid Vienna? My guess the main reasoning behind the transfer embargo. SFA cannot afford for Scottish football to get reputation as not paying debts to fellow UEFA member states otherwise impact will be on them, National team and other Scottish clubs in Europe. Also the Lee Wallace situation, how can they justify signing any further players in the near future when they haven't been able to pay for him?

There's a big difference in still taking over clubs like dungdee and Livi after they have been penalised. They weren't even a little close to the shit rankgers are in, or the amount of debt they owe.

People with a couple of million spare could take over these clubs regardless of how they found themselves, but the amounts we are talking about for rankgers is silly money that no one is going to spend without wanting a major return on their investment.

I agree and that's one of the points I was trying to get across (evidently badly!).

If Rangers had "only" failed to pay HMRC and some random creditors, gone into admin and then had these penalties applied by the SFA and SPL then they should have had no trouble finding someone to take over. I mean £160,000 for a club the size of Rangers should be nothing.

But because of the levels of their shenanigans in the past, people aren't now coming forward - the amount of debt and outstanding uncertainty are what's killing them.