whisky lovers

I have been tempted to buy  a small ex sherry cask and fill it with bottle dregs/shite blends and new make and hope for the best for a couple of a few years.
I want to go grain to bottle. Find it really interesting.

1 hour ago, gannonball said:

I have been tempted to buy  a small ex sherry cask and fill it with bottle dregs/shite blends and new make and hope for the best for a couple of a few years.

I was thinking about this but when I read about it, it said the smaller the cask, the higher the % loss.

Also, sherry casks tend to be really expensive.

1 minute ago, Ziggy said:

I was thinking about this but when I read about it, it said the smaller the cask, the higher the % loss.

Glass demijohns and your own variety of wood chips..... 

1 minute ago, Ziggy said:

Yeah did the Fettercairn tour (shite whisky) last year and they said the demand for sherry casks in the whisky industry is getting bigger and bigger whilst the consumption if sherry is falling. Some empty casks are going for stupid amounts.

I would have one in an ideal world but I just wanted a small one to experiment with as long as somethings been aged in it. Not too bothered about the percentage loss and I would hope it would mature quicker with the liquid having more surface area to play with.

18 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

I got a shite one off ebay that was much cheaper. Did exactly how it said about putting water in and out of it to swell up the wood but the c**t kept leaking so never got round to putting anything in it. Ended up being a garden ornament! At least with Amazon you get the user reviews per product but judging by the two on it I would avoid also :lol:

Edited by gannonball

That’s exactly why I ditched the idea. If you find one with good reviews then let me know.

I think it would be really interesting.

On a vaguely similar theme, Deanston were starting to do a tour where you can blend your own whisky.

Edited by Ziggy

I got a shite one off ebay that was much cheaper. Did exactly how it said about putting water in and out of it to swell up the wood but the c**t kept leaking so never got round to putting anything in it. Ended up being a garden ornament! At least with Amazon you get the user reviews per product but judging by the two on it I would avoid also [emoji38]
Theres a place in falkirk that sells old whisky barrells. They will be spent for the industry standards presumably. You could probably dump some sherry in it for a few weeks and let it infuse the wood though. Least youd be getting a proper built one

Just now, Bairnardo said:
9 minutes ago, gannonball said:
I got a shite one off ebay that was much cheaper. Did exactly how it said about putting water in and out of it to swell up the wood but the c**t kept leaking so never got round to putting anything in it. Ended up being a garden ornament! At least with Amazon you get the user reviews per product but judging by the two on it I would avoid also emoji38.png

Theres a place in falkirk that sells old whisky barrells. They will be spent for the industry standards presumably. You could probably dump some sherry in it for a few weeks and let it infuse the wood though. Least youd be getting a proper built one

Where abouts? I live in Stirling and see ones advertised a lot on facebook market place but they always seem to be the standard sized ones and knackered so being sold as planters etc. You get some ones now selling as converted mini bars etc which I have been tempted by but I don't really the space for one after my cabinets.

Where abouts? I live in Stirling and see ones advertised a lot on facebook market place but they always seem to be the standard sized ones and knackered so being sold as planters etc. You get some ones now selling as converted mini bars etc which I have been tempted by but I don't really the space for one after my cabinets.
Theres a sign on Grahams Road think they are called whisky barrels direct.

Have a look at whiskybarrelsdirect.com

Its a mobile number though so cant be sure its them. They are saying 40 notes for a small barrel and deliver nationwide

23 hours ago, HI HAT said:

Been given this by a mate of mine, never to my knowledge had a single grain whisky so looking forward to it IMG-20190529-WA0005.jpg

Grain’s can be really nice , if they have properly looked after and given a good cask , hope you enjoy it .

i always try to keep a grain open amongst the drams on the sipping shelf , currently a gorgeous 30 yo north British , from a Sherry butt that set me back all of £ 90, whisper it but there is fantastic value in aged grain whiskies. 

Had the grain whisky last night and was pleasantly surprised. A bit sweeter than I expected but TBH if I could find a bottle of this Invergordon grain I would definitely buy it. Really enjoyed it

19 minutes ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:
28 minutes ago, bishopburn boy said:
Picked up this bad boy , it is one of the nicest drams I,ve had from the smws , 
D98845CB-05F5-44C6-9280-AA869A0C47F2.thumb.jpeg.956e7ebedc8cb605c50d067993f86ae2.jpeg

Longmorn distillery. One I've never yet tried, or even heard of to be honest. Must expand my horizons!!

Well worth the effort , this is a lovely dram , worth seeking out , at 216 ( cask count )  it’s one of the more regular contributors to the  SMWS outturns 

Edited by bishopburn boy
Detail

On ‎10‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 21:10, bishopburn boy said:

Picked up this bad boy , it is one of the nicest drams I,ve had from the smws , 

D98845CB-05F5-44C6-9280-AA869A0C47F2.jpeg

I was in the vaults in Leith a couple of months ago and tried a couple of Longmorns. Came to the conclusion that 12-16 years was a good age for them. Tried one that was in the 20s and it wasn't so great. 

Have somehow managed to give my dram cupboard a shot in the arm from last month where I was running dangerously low.

Currently consists of....

Berry Bros Sherry cask blend
Port Charlotte 10
Compass Box Spice Tree
Glenallachie 10 CS
Springbank 12 CS
Talisker 57 North