What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Captain America avengers civil war Spider-Man. It was okay, I don't really like the superhero films much though. This is going to sound ludicrous but I hate the way that the fights have absolutely no consistency whatsoever. Characters get shot, blown up, thrown into explosive cars, chucked off roofs and all survive unharmed. Then someone punches them and it's game over. It just bores me. 5/10
10 cloverfield lane. This was good until the last 15 mins or so when it completely imploded. What a ridiculous and terrible ending. 1/10

Why watch a genre you don't like?

Watched Sing Street for the second time tonight. Loved it more than the first time (although to be fair the first time was on a tiny screen during a flight). If you haven't seen it then you need to get it watched!

A Monster Calls

Decided to go and see this, heard good things in the reviews and I loved The Orphanage by the same director, Spaniard JA Bayona.

It's a magical realist drama about Conor O'Malley, a young boy whose mother is suffering from cancer. His life is complicated by bullying at school, partly caused by his mothers illness, the prospect of having to live with his grandmother, who he doesn't get along with, and coping with the fact that his father is largely absent from their lives, living in the US.

In the middle of these circumstances he begins to experience dreams where a huge tree monster, voiced by Liam Neeson, who tells him that he will tell him stories and then demands that Conor tell him his story. The film is then split between Conor dealing in his day-to-day life dealing with bullies, family and his sick mother and the nightly visits of the monster. At no point is there any doubt that the monster is a dream and not 'real'.

I thought it was a great film, balancing the serious and genuinely upsetting subject matter with the fantastical sequences. The effects are great, with the monster motion captured superbly and the animated sequences integrating into the film seamlessly. What really makes the film though, is the performance of Lewis MacDougall as Conor, who just captures the character perfectly. The frustrations, anger and confusion of the situation are clear but they don't rub anything in your face. The rest of the cast are also great, Felicity Jones as his mother, Signourey Weaver as his buttoned up grandmother and Neeson as the monster are great. Apparently Tom Holland (the new Spider-Man) did some of the motion capture so he is due some credit as well. It's easy for subject matter like this to turn into mawkish and sentimental films but this film is so heartfelt and real.

I read after coming out that it hasn't done that well at the box office, which is a shame as its one of the best films I've been to see in a long time.

The Guv'nor

The story of Lenny "The Guv'nor" McLean. Basically his son goes about interviewing old colleagues and friends to see what type of man he was etc. It's shite, mainly because of the arsehole son.

Some of the old footage is decent, particularly the Roy Shaw fights but most of it is laughable. There's a bit where the son says Lenny would have beaten Mike Tyson and Klitshko in his prime "on the cobbles" yet you see him sparring not long after and Mike Tyson would not have many sleepless nights, put it that way. There's no disputing he was a hard man. If it was a fight outside a pub against normal people I doubt you would have seen much better, he would have been a seriously scary man in that environment without a doubt. Against a Word Champion boxer of the same size/weight it would be a different story. In fact any decent pro would probably put him away. Iron Mike in his prime would have knocked him spark out.

The worst thing about this film is the son though. There's a bizarre 5 or ten minutes towards the end where he walks in to a cafe and gets involved in a fight :lol: he then tried to talk about the rage inside him and saying it's hard to go out etc. His cousin/friend then pipes up and says it's difficult to come down here because of "the hipsters and the change of it all" :lol:

7 hours ago, ICTChris said:

A Monster Calls

Decided to go and see this, heard good things in the reviews and I loved The Orphanage by the same director, Spaniard JA Bayona.

It's a magical realist drama about Conor O'Malley, a young boy whose mother is suffering from cancer. His life is complicated by bullying at school, partly caused by his mothers illness, the prospect of having to live with his grandmother, who he doesn't get along with, and coping with the fact that his father is largely absent from their lives, living in the US.

In the middle of these circumstances he begins to experience dreams where a huge tree monster, voiced by Liam Neeson, who tells him that he will tell him stories and then demands that Conor tell him his story. The film is then split between Conor dealing in his day-to-day life dealing with bullies, family and his sick mother and the nightly visits of the monster. At no point is there any doubt that the monster is a dream and not 'real'.

I thought it was a great film, balancing the serious and genuinely upsetting subject matter with the fantastical sequences. The effects are great, with the monster motion captured superbly and the animated sequences integrating into the film seamlessly. What really makes the film though, is the performance of Lewis MacDougall as Conor, who just captures the character perfectly. The frustrations, anger and confusion of the situation are clear but they don't rub anything in your face. The rest of the cast are also great, Felicity Jones as his mother, Signourey Weaver as his buttoned up grandmother and Neeson as the monster are great. Apparently Tom Holland (the new Spider-Man) did some of the motion capture so he is due some credit as well. It's easy for subject matter like this to turn into mawkish and sentimental films but this film is so heartfelt and real.

I read after coming out that it hasn't done that well at the box office, which is a shame as its one of the best films I've been to see in a long time.

It's biggest problem is probably the marketing folk not knowing how to pitch it. Folk stupidly take young kids along as it features a CGI monster and has a boy as the main character. Adults are probably put off as it looks like a kids film. 

Really special film.

Saw Rogue One yesterday with the family; unfortunately had a raging headache and nodded off briefly a couple of times to escape from it. Still enjoyed it well enough; a few good characters and some amusing lines, and it was bittersweet to see Peter Cushing back on the big screen, albeit a slightly dodgy version that was firmly ensconced in the Uncanny Valley, along with the other brief CGI returning character. Didn't think James Earl Jones got Darth's voice quite right this time either, but his inevitable ass-kicking scene was creepily effective.

Certainly better than any of the prequels, for what it's worth. Maybe even as good as The Force Awakens, if you take out all the happy tingly feelings from seeing Han, Leia, and Luke again.

The Imitation Game 8.5/10

I've never been a big fan of Benedict and hadn't been too keen to watch this as it sounded a bit too worthy. I needn't have worried. He is superb in it and really likeable (for someone so socially awkward). The plot rips along well and the treatment of his, er, treatment is handled well. 

Silence

You can't go too far wrong with Martin Scorsese, can you?  Aye, maybe you can.  This came in an two and a half hours and it was probably an hour too long.  Essentially, it's about attempts to bring Christianity to 18th century Japan and the persecution that took place.  It moves pretty slowly and is quite gory.  If nothing else, it highlights the (lack of) worth of religious missionary work and the damage that can be done in the process.

5/10

The Ardennes

Excellent Belgian film about two brothers, both a wee bit dodgy, one of whom is a nutter.  He  gets out of jail after getting caught in one of their capers and quickly gets back into old ways.  Well worth making the effort to see although it would have to be one of the wee independent piccy houses probably.

7/10

Watched Assassins Creed today. I'm a huge fan of the games so I loved it. Just seeing the franchise on the screen was enough for me. As a film, the plot is rushed and iffy. If you're not into the games, you probably won't like it much. Combat sequences are impressive though

I've decided to go for a threesome. Probably just edit this post movie by movie. Might do the other two another time.

Die Hard

Been a while since I've got into this one. Forgot how absolutely incredible Alan Rickman was as Hans Gruber, which is pretty poor of me tbh. It's an absolutely perfect action movie where everything clicks into place. A couple of terrific dumb characters. One being the deputy chief of police that turns up to call the shots and the news guy in the studio who says with confidence that Helsinki is in Sweden. Able dickheadery comes from an arsehole reporter too, despite not being on screen long, he's very much deserving of a punch in the face. So aye, everything from the lead downwards is great. Can't fault this movie at all.

10/10

Die Hard 2

Hadn't actually seen this before this morning. This is absolutely nowhere near the first one, although it's still a lot of fun. It does go over the line into pure cheese at times which I thought the first movie managed to just about avoid several times. There's no Gruber here, although there was one villain where I thought if we had him front and centre, he could have improved things a fair bit. The McClane character doesn't get worse thankfully, and the stuff on the plane with the reporter and his wife stays fairly decent. It's a good action movie for sure, but the first movie set a fairly high bar.

7/10

Die Hard With a Vengeance

Slightly better than the last one, mainly down to the plot being fairly simple and a wee bit of a change in tempo as well. Decent villain, a great partner for McClane through the whole thing, and some cracking action to carry it forward. Some belting scenes as well. The Harlem scene is definitely one of my favourites of the whole series.

8/10

Edited by Randy Giles