What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Guest Cheyne Stoking

Just sat through the near 4 hours of Once Upon A Time In America....snip but noted

Anyway, the score is fucking fantastic! ;)

It IS a fantastic movie, one of Leone's best and, when you look at his CV, that's saying something.

Four hours might put off some people but get a comfy cushion and enjoy it :D

It IS a fantastic movie, one of Leone's best and, when you look at his CV, that's saying something.

Four hours might put off some people but get a comfy cushion and enjoy it :D

Yeah, but it isn't as good as films of the same genre. Leone is a genius, but De Niro is totally mis-cast as Noodles. James Woods was a great baddie though.

Watch the end bit again, he looks like Sven. :o

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it, forgive me for not going through all 80 pages :P, but I caught a late showing of Renaissance which is a mix of Bladerunner, Animatrix and Sin City with a drop of Mickey Spillane thrown in for good measure. It's an animated feature set in the Paris of 2054 and has the hero tracking down a kidnap victim who works for one of the big chemical corporations. Obviously there is more to it than at first glance.

While the plot was decent, and the acting (voicing) was good enough not to distract you from the fact it's an animated film, it's the style of animation that has you glued to the screen. At first it is awkward on the eye as, a la Sin City, it's all black and white - which adds to the film noir feel to it - but after the first 10 minutes your eyes get adjusted. Some of the incidental animation is really clever and they use perspective really (really) well throughout the film. It also manages to capture the future pretty well too.

Definitely worth a watch and would probably make the transition to DVD pretty well.

Oh, and one other film worthy of note. I got out The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada on DVD the other day and I have to say I was very impressed. Tommy Lee Jones not only stars but directs (and I believe produces) this film. It is far the glossy Hollywood blockbuster titles he has starred and centres around a farm hand, who had befriended TLJ, that is found dead. I would love to go on and explain more but if you go to this movie with a clean slate (like I did) I think you will get far more out of it.

Again another movie definitely worthy of a watch.

Finally, after two drunken atempts over the last couple of weeks, got round to watching Twelve Monkeys tonight. No way is that a movie to try and watch after drinking. It is confusing enough sober.

Again, the first time I have watched it in years, and I was surprised how good Brad Pitt was in it. Probably even better than he was in Fight Club. The boy can act, given the right movie!

Gilliam movies are an acquired taste. You probably either love them, or just don't get them.

Probably my favourite Bruce Willis film, and he has made some crackers as well.

Saw 'Miami Vice' at the cinema today.

Reasonably good I thought if somewhat unbelievable. It defies belief that an international contraband running outfit with a turnover in the billions would 'outsource' delivery and do so to people they've just met, never mind one of the head players falling into bed with a new guy. It was remarkably easy and quick to infiltrat e a major crime syndicate at a very high level.

Without wanting to spoil it much, given the clue "trailer trash with B.O. and noise", locating exactly the correct trailer in a park in the whole of Miami inside half an hour was ridiculous!

Still, lots of shoot 'em up action and the bad guys lose in the end. If you're not expecting an epic it's enjoyable in a light entertainment kind of way.

Again, the first time I have watched it in years, and I was surprised how good Brad Pitt was in it. Probably even better than he was in Fight Club. The boy can act, given the right movie!

Pitt totally steals that movie! He's superb in it...

....Monkey... Monkey... Mon... Key!

Guest Spanky Rodriguez

He certainly can. If you get past the smug roles that he plays in Oceans Elven and Troy and watch some of his movies from yesteryear then you'll realise that he's been in a few crackers. Se7en, Kalifornia and True Romance are the ones that spring to mind although i'm sure there will be a geek who can think of a few better roles :)

Hostel

What can I say but fuxake! It's like an hour and a half of looking at Rotten.com. Genuinely unsettling. I haven't watched a film through my fingers like that since Final Destination 2. Just goes to show there's no such this as a free lunch, you want the hot girls, you gotta pay the price! In a Tarantino produced flick it's no surprise that there are several homages (i.e. rip-offs) of older movies, including Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Domino

I lost interest around halfway into the film (I have no clue why things happended as they did at the end). The film was just overly "stylish" with lots of flashing screens and stuff and the story wasn't particularly enthralling - ex-model becomes bounty hunter. Woop-de-doo! Keira Knightley doesn't look that great in it, in fact she looks almost boyish. Mickey Rourke plays his role well though.

Remember the Titans

I love this film! I know it sticks to the real story as much as Braveheart did (in other words it doesn't!), but I still think it's a cracking film about a sports team bonding regardless of race, and how the community can learn from them. Denzel Washington is a great actor and puts in another fine performance.

This Year's Love

It was on BBC1 last night and I caught in from about 15mins in. Interesting wee film about a microcosm in Camden where a group of people share their partners/ex-partners (sometimes unknowingly) with each other over the course of a few years. I dislike the fact that the mentalist nerd shares my first name though! I think it's touted as a comedy but it's pretty depressive in places. Kathy Burke is fantastic in it as a backing singer to David Gray - who was virtually unknown at the time and plays a pub singer. Because of this, it also features a lot of songs from "White Ladder" on the songtrack (including the title track). Despite it being set in London it does feature a lot of Scottish faces and Catherine McCormack continues using the Scottish accent she used in Braveheart.

I watched an average of 3 films a year normally! I have watched 1 and a 1/2 in 2 days now!

Walk the Line - tremendous 9/10

Half way through Mr and Mrs Smith (I was tired!) - so far so good enough! Bit far fetched but watchable!

Finally got round to watching the Da Vinci Code... absolute garbage. Ohh, that bloke in the painting looks like a woman. Not enough to be remotely interesting.

Also watched Broken Flowers - 11/10. Bill Murray has zero range but is always great. And Don't Come Knocking. Also 11/10. Wim Wenders is yet to make a stinker, or indeed anything less than brilliant.

Hired Sin City for tonight...

He certainly can. If you get past the smug roles that he plays in Oceans Elven and Troy and watch some of his movies from yesteryear then you'll realise that he's been in a few crackers. Se7en, Kalifornia and True Romance are the ones that spring to mind although i'm sure there will be a geek who can think of a few better roles :)

You could hardly call his bit in True Romance a large part. Was he not the stoner flatmate that is seen on screen for about 5 minutes?

Guest Spanky Rodriguez

You could hardly call his bit in True Romance a large part. Was he not the stoner flatmate that is seen on screen for about 5 minutes?

He was indeed but he's the best stoner flatmate in that particular film :):P

Remember the Titans

I love this film! I know it sticks to the real story as much as Braveheart did (in other words it doesn't!), but I still think it's a cracking film about a sports team bonding regardless of race, and how the community can learn from them. Denzel Washington is a great actor and puts in another fine performance.

I watched it last night too. One of the best films ever made. Also one of the few films that always gets a lump in the back of my throat at the end. No matter how many times you see it, it will still shock me at that point.

Also, Denzel washington shows why he is one of the best actors ever in it ;)

10/10

This Year's Love

It was on BBC1 last night and I caught in from about 15mins in. Interesting wee film about a microcosm in Camden where a group of people share their partners/ex-partners (sometimes unknowingly) with each other over the course of a few years. I dislike the fact that the mentalist nerd shares my first name though! I think it's touted as a comedy but it's pretty depressive in places. Kathy Burke is fantastic in it as a backing singer to David Gray - who was virtually unknown at the time and plays a pub singer. Because of this, it also features a lot of songs from "White Ladder" on the songtrack (including the title track). Despite it being set in London it does feature a lot of Scottish faces and Catherine McCormack continues using the Scottish accent she used in Braveheart.

It is possibly the worst film i have ever seen. THey should have cut in after 5 minutes and spliced the last 5 minutes there and then, saving atleast 10 minutes of your life.