What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

CBGB

Alan Rickman stars in this biopic of Hilly Kristal, the legendary proprietor of the eponymous punk rock venue.

I'm a big music fan and I'm interested in scenes and subcultures, so I wanted to like this film, but I was disappointed.

Like many of these sort of films it relied heavily on nostalgia. But there were too many flat, two dimensional characters. There was also this really annoying comic book motif where they made some of the scenes look as if they were emerging from a panel on a cartoon strip. There also seemed to be quite a few in-jokes that may amuse the few people who attended the club but would be lost on the public at large.

The film was almost, but not quite, rescued by the soundtrack. There were tunes by the likes of Television, Talking Heads, The Dead Boys etc. 

Tbh I would have had a better time simply watching music videos on YouTube. 

3/10

5 hours ago, Paul Kersey said:

CBGB

Alan Rickman stars in this biopic of Hilly Kristal, the legendary proprietor of the eponymous punk rock venue.

I'm a big music fan and I'm interested in scenes and subcultures, so I wanted to like this film, but I was disappointed.

Like many of these sort of films it relied heavily on nostalgia. But there were too many flat, two dimensional characters. There was also this really annoying comic book motif where they made some of the scenes look as if they were emerging from a panel on a cartoon strip. There also seemed to be quite a few in-jokes that may amuse the few people who attended the club but would be lost on the public at large.

The film was almost, but not quite, rescued by the soundtrack. There were tunes by the likes of Television, Talking Heads, The Dead Boys etc. 

Tbh I would have had a better time simply watching music videos on YouTube. 

3/10

Johnny Ramone's widow did not like the actor who played him so she would not allow for any Ramones songs to be used.

However Joey's brother Mick Leigh was happy to let them use songs from his solo albums (both released after his death).  It doesn't work.

Incidentally Linda used to be with Joey and is the inspiration for the excellent song "Danny Says".  After she switched to Johnny, Joey also wrote "The KKK took my baby away".  She is the main reason Johnny and Joey stopped talking to each other.

Edited by Fullerene

Drive - The Radio One Rescores

For those who aren't aware, this is a different version of the cult classic Ryan Gosling flick, but with a new soundtrack curated by Zane Low. 

The film itself is excellent but this new soundtrack did nothing for me. It completely lacked the ambience of the original. 

It's been a few years since I saw the original, but I'm pretty sure that there were a few extra scenes in this version. Could be wrong.

An interesting idea,  it ultimately it fell flat.

7/10

18 hours ago, Paul Kersey said:

Drive - The Radio One Rescores

For those who aren't aware, this is a different version of the cult classic Ryan Gosling flick, but with a new soundtrack curated by Zane Low.

That's one of the worst ideas I've ever heard. Refn should make Pusher 4 as a public apology. 

Edit - I wish I had never heard of this it's seriously pissing me off! The Drive soundtrack is beloved, no one ever said this lacks mid tier British indie bands. What's next rescoring Goodfellas and replacing Aretha and Bobby Darin with Emily Sandé and Ed Sheeran? Thank f**k I don't the pay the licensce fee!

Edited by Detournement

I saw Licorice Pizza at the GFT last night. It looks incredible, it's funny, Alana Haim is great and it's up there with the best PTA films in that there is so much in it to chew over that people will be rewatching it for years. 

I had been avoiding any reviews and chatter but it's been funny today to see the Twitter reaction to the taboo elements of the plot. 

Edited by Detournement

3 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

If you were at the 35mm screening then I personally blame you for it being sold out.

Of course I was. 

To be fair though I originally had tickets for the 28th of December and got punted when Sturgeon brought in the new restrictions so I was due.

Definitely make an effort to see it. It's superb. 

I quite like the marketing really playing up the whodunnit aspect. I'm not sure if any of the others have done that?

Probs be shite though.

For what it’s worth I don’t remember the marketing for scream 4 being so prominent, and I wasn’t old enough to really pay attention to any type of marketing done for the films that came before. Think they’ve done a good job in regards to what they’re doing with this one though. I have high hopes!

Of course I was. 
To be fair though I originally had tickets for the 28th of December and got punted when Sturgeon brought in the new restrictions so I was due.
Definitely make an effort to see it. It's superb. 
I've put it off twice and was planning on going for the 35mm last night until I saw it had sold out. Next week will be the time...

For what it’s worth I don’t remember the marketing for scream 4 being so prominent, and I wasn’t old enough to really pay attention to any type of marketing done for the films that came before. Think they’ve done a good job in regards to what they’re doing with this one though. I have high hopes!
I have no recollection of the fourth. I know 2 is in uni and 3 on a movie set but 4 is a blur.

Eh…it was okay. Bit on the nose in places but that’s usually the point with Scream films and their references. More modern references this time but I would say the story ends up being pretty much Scream 1 all over again in terms of the killer reveals. I’d say it’s probably the 3rd best out of the franchise.

ETA: Scream 1 reveal but there’s a distinct lack of good motive; this motive just seems a bit cringey with all things considered regarding how society reacts to things.

I have no recollection of the fourth. I know 2 is in uni and 3 on a movie set but 4 is a blur.

4th is the last film directed by Wes Craven, albeit I think it’s probably the worst of the whole Franchise, weak killers and just a bit boring plot wise. Did help introduce a new generation to the franchise though and hopefully this new one does something similar.

The Lost Battalion

Solid but unspectacular ww1 film about an American unit who get lost behind enemy lines and have to fight like f**k for survival.

This is typical of the sort of recent war films that appear on the various freeview channels.

Decent action sequences but a slightly nauseating "America saves the world" message.

I was also mildly amused to see Michael Brandon AKA Dempsey from Dempsey and Makepeace pop up in a "I didn't know they were in that" moment.

6/10 

003 -- Scream. To some degree or another, I've enjoyed all the Scream movies. I even liked 3. And I kinda liked 4. I thought this requel (not exactly reboot, not exactly sequel according to one of the characters) was probably better than both of those. They did a decent enough job of keeping me guessing about the killers, but it's not Knives Out and so the reveal wasn't quite the shock the directors would like. It didn't rely too heavily on jump scares and some of the deaths were surprisingly graphic. But despite it all, the nods to previous movies and the genre in general, the meta conversations, the bits I enjoyed most were with David Arquette and Courtney Cox just being on the screen together. I must be getting old. 7/10

17 hours ago, Paul Kersey said:

Spring Breakers

This is the b*****d love child of GTA and a Britney Spears video

I like tits, I like class A drugs and I like guns and this film has them all.

Googolplex/10

Spring Breakers is fantastic. The scene at the piano singing Everytime is an all timer. 

Korine's most recent film The Beach Bum is even better imo. Most reviewers seemed to miss the very obvious but funny satire kind of like Starship Troopers and Showgirls.