What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Dogma - I'm a massive fan of Kevin Smith (and moreso Jay and Silent Bob) but I didn't enjoy this very much. I think it was the whole God thing that threw me, and the fact it actually had some sort of plot. I reckon I'd enjoy it more the second time round. 6/10

How High - This is more like it. Featuring Method Man and Redman from Wu-Tang and even with a cameo from Cypress Hill, this was amazing. No real plot with a lot of holes, it was your typical stoner film with everything going on and it was fucking hilarious. Probably in the "so bad it's, well, absolutely rotten" camp for most, but I thought it was brilliant. 8/10

Dogma - I'm a massive fan of Kevin Smith (and moreso Jay and Silent Bob) but I didn't enjoy this very much. I think it was the whole God thing that threw me, and the fact it actually had some sort of plot. I reckon I'd enjoy it more the second time round. 6/10

Love Dogma, Matt Damon and Ben Affleck are brilliant as Loki and Bartleby and Chris Rock is brilliant as Rufus.

Hit & Run

Saw this a couple days ago. It was alright. Bradley Cooper is hilarious and steals the show. I've seen Dax Shepard in a few things and he tends to annoy me a bit, but he's alright in this. It's pretty funny, not massively "laugh out loud" funny but there's a lot of moments that raise a smile or a chuckle. There are a couple of sorta awkward moments in it though, I found them funny but I could easily see others taking offence. (without spoiling it too much, the moments are bordering on the homophobic and then on the racist).

6/10

Hot Fuzz

Been a while see I watched this so stuck it on last night. Great film. It's not as funny as Shaun of the Dead but it's quite funny and has some great action going on. Only when it was pointed out did I realise Simon Skinner was Timothy Dalton! It's also great to look back and recognise a bunch of the other people in it, obviously the likes of Bill Bailey, Bill Nighy and Steve Coogan have wee roles but then there's people such as the two Andys who I've seen in a bunch of other stuff since it came out.

7.5/10

Resident Evil: Retribution

Wasn't bad. I think forehead covered it pretty well but, in all honesty, it really is just a film designed to set up the next one. The story itself wasn't too disimilar to the first one and follows basically the same formula as the previous 4. If you're a fan of the series, it's definitely worth a watch but it's not anything groundbreaking.

I'd give it 6/10, but I think that's slightly generous.

Hot Fuzz

Been a while see I watched this so stuck it on last night. Great film. It's not as funny as Shaun of the Dead but it's quite funny and has some great action going on. Only when it was pointed out did I realise Simon Skinner was Timothy Dalton! It's also great to look back and recognise a bunch of the other people in it, obviously the likes of Bill Bailey, Bill Nighy and Steve Coogan have wee roles but then there's people such as the two Andys who I've seen in a bunch of other stuff since it came out.

7.5/10

I've never been able to really warm to Hot Fuzz really. I've tried to watch it about three times now and only managed to get through it all the way once. I found it never quite took off for me. Doesn't help that Shaun of the Dead's brilliant and I just can't help comparing Hot Fuzz to it in my head. Timothy Dalton's great in this though. He was my favorite Bond when I was younger but I used to always think of him as a serious sort of person so it's good to see him playing a pretty fun part.

Safe House - 7/10

Was pretty good. Ryan Reynolds did a decent job as the main character but the film wouldn't have been anywhere near as good had Denzel Washington not been in it.

Safe - 6/10

Was not bad I suppose. It was better than some of the shite Jason Statham has been in recently but it was far from being the best film I've seen him in.

How High - This is more like it. Featuring Method Man and Redman from Wu-Tang and even with a cameo from Cypress Hill, this was amazing. No real plot with a lot of holes, it was your typical stoner film with everything going on and it was fucking hilarious. Probably in the "so bad it's, well, absolutely rotten" camp for most, but I thought it was brilliant. 8/10

Bicycle...Bicycle...

Half Nelson (2006) - Ryan Gosling plays a crackhead teacher in an inner city school, with his story overlapping with that of one of his pupils, whom he befriends after she discovers that he's a druggy. Very interesting film with great performances from Gosling and his pupil, Shareeka Epps.

8/10.

Rewatched 12 Angry Men last night. Classic film making imo. Really simple premise but so cleverly done. Never tire of it.

I'm giving it 10/10 :)

It's glorious. I'm watching the Bonds and have landed on these ratings...

Dr. No - 6/10

From Russia With Love - 3/10

I expect that I'll be doing more in depth reviews from now on though. Gonna watch Goldfinger later on tonight.

Half Nelson (2006) - Ryan Gosling plays a crackhead teacher in an inner city school, with his story overlapping with that of one of his pupils, whom he befriends after she discovers that he's a druggy. Very interesting film with great performances from Gosling and his pupil, Shareeka Epps.

8/10.

Great film.

Funnily enough, I watched this film called Detachment last night.

Its about a substitute teacher (Adrien Brody) who goes to teach in a rough school.

I can't really say much about it because there was so much to the story but it was absolutely fucking brilliant. I ended up getting a bit teary eyed at one point.

9/10.

Edited by JamboMikey

Ruby Sparks

I'm in two minds over this movie. Paul Dano does an amazing job of making a character who is basically a c**t, and turning him into a sympathetic character, although there is one absolutely horror story scene in there which manages to make you turn against him finally...

He writes her actions as she's standing right there and forces her to act like a dog and jump up and down screaming "YOU'RE A GENIUS!!!", and it came across really badly.

...so basically all I REALLY got out of this movie was "I hope this dickhead gets nothing but misery". There's still a lot of fun to be had in the movie thanks to other things going on. His brother is just a ridiculous amount of fun when he's on screen.

6/10

Ruby Sparks

I'm in two minds over this movie. Paul Dano does an amazing job of making a character who is basically a c**t, and turning him into a sympathetic character, although there is one absolutely horror story scene in there which manages to make you turn against him finally...

He writes her actions as she's standing right there and forces her to act like a dog and jump up and down screaming "YOU'RE A GENIUS!!!", and it came across really badly.

...so basically all I REALLY got out of this movie was "I hope this dickhead gets nothing but misery". There's still a lot of fun to be had in the movie thanks to other things going on. His brother is just a ridiculous amount of fun when he's on screen.

6/10

Meant to be seeing this on Wednesday after my vote for Frankenweenie being outvoted. <_<

Taken 2 - 6/10.

Rather pants. First one was an enjoyable action flick as you didnt have to invest too much thought into it so when they make the exact same film again its always gonna pale in comparison. And in the first one I thought Neeson done a decent enough job, here he seems to ham it up quite a bit.