What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

The Breakfast Club.

Not sure how I'd missed seeing this at some point in the last 30 years. Apart from the odd jaunt to the bogs or store room, the action rarely strays from the main characters seeing out their Saturday morning detention in the school hall. Perfect piece of 80s teen comedy drama. 9/10

Zero Dark Thirty: 8/10

A good film about the assassination of Osama bin Laden. Again, like Interstellar, Jessica Chastain plays the committed protagonists, who, will use any means necessary to track down the man she needs to find. Also a good few cameos from actors like Mark Strong and John Barrowman. Would defo recommend

2001: A Space Odyssey

I had seen some of this quite a few years ago (and knew a lot of the scenes purely because of the Simpsons), but this was the first time I'd seen it the whole way through. I really enjoyed it, not too sure what the girlfriend thought of it though. For a film from 1968 this was years ahead of its time and was very thought-provoking. The score is also iconic and unbelievably good. I'd say my favourite segment of the film was the journey to Jupiter involving HAL, but I can see this changing in the future.

9/10 - I'd quite like to read the book to see how the two compare.

I'm afraid I can't let you do that

Mission Impossible 5 - exactly what I hoped. Just great fun. Action followed by more action followed by a small plot development follwed by even more carnage.

Gonna go watch the first one again tonight. Just hearing the title music brought all the memories of watching MI back when I was a kid.

9/10

The Godfather: Part III - 7.5/10

Finally got round to watching this and I was pleasantly surprised. It's obviously not on the same level as the first two but still a decent film with Pacino as good as ever. I've read a few reviews and a lot seem to be panning Sofia Coppola's performance but I actually thought she was good as Michael's daughter, might just be that I fancy her a bit though! Andy Garcia was decent as well but it definitely missed Robert Duvall.

Trainwreck - 5/10

Amy Schumer is a pain in the arse. Bill Hader is great though and LeBron is hilarious in it.

Agreed

Also like the last couple of Judd Apatow directed films (Funny People, this is 40) it drags on for about half an hour longer than it needs to.

Paper Towns

I liked this much more than I expected to. I quite like Cara Delivingne or however you spell it and the main character and his two friends had a really natural on screen relationship - their chemistry probably made the film. I thought this started slowly, built itself up really well as you get to know the characters and was heading towards a 7/10 score, but I can't forgive the anti-climax that was the last 10 minutes or so.

6/10

Man From UNCLE.

Enjoyed this. An entertaining piece of fluff, absolutely no substance to it but I didn't really expect much. Guy Ritchie has his usual style and lots of interesting camera angles and sequences that kept me interested. Would never watch it again and it is instantly forgettable but a decent watch.

6/10

Having been a huge fan of the TV series (and enjoying watching reruns on one of the "classic TV" channels over here) I'm torn.

I'd like to see if it stays "true" to the original idea (and especially if they can sneak the iconic theme back in somewhere) but I worry I'll just hate it because "That's not The Man Form Uncle"

Bit of a nostalgia trip with three of my favourite films from the 60's

Hard Day's Night (1964) - Just wonderful as we see lots of silliness from the Fab Four with director Dick Lester transferring his experience from his work with The Goons. Very effective in black and white and of course fantastic songs which are built in seamlessly to the story. Some good extra features on the DVD and interesting stuff about the shoestring budget and how it was all filmed in space of 3 weeks then all produced, edited etc in space of another 3 or 4 weeks. John and Paul also wrote the song on demand in a day as the title had already been decided beforehand.

9/10

The Graduate (1967) - The iconic seduction scenes are still very funny and the ending is very dramatic although it still puzzles me when you see the expressions on the faces of Ben and Elaine on the bus, are they regretting what they've done or are they just overwhelmed with what just happened?

Great Simon & Garfunkel soundtrack but why is Scarborough Fair played 3 or 4 times?

8/10

Charade (1963) - Audrey Hepburn is my favourite actress and she doesn't disappoint in this funny mystery thriller which has a strong Hitchcock feel to it. Her husband has been murdered and there are four or possibly five men after her to try and find the money he stole. A few good twists along the way and Cary Grant plays the mystery man she falls in love with. Great supporting roles also from Walter Matthau, James Coburn and George Kennedy.

8/10

Inside Out - after reading all the good reviews I headed along to see this. Lived up to the hype - very smart (possibly too smart for kids) and funny enough to be enjoyable.

Imagination World immediately had me thinking about South Park - wasn't as good as those episodes sadly!

Bing Bong though. I just don't know what to say about him!

7/10.

I'd be interested in a sequel to it. For me, it worked well as an introduction to the characters, and left me wanting to see them get back together again, but as for this movie itself, I wouldn't be interested in seeing it again.

I'm not sure if it's going to get one unfortunately. It's really bombed at the box office so far, compared to budget.

Sales of around 30m, budget 75m.

The Riot Club (4/10)

Uses a sledgehammer to deliver a message that the blue bloods and aristocracy use power, wealth and privilege to steamroll through life and into positions of influence - who knew?!. Working and Middle class archetypes are the collateral damage in this remarkably one dimensional drama.

Don't bother.