What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

The Lincoln Lawyer

An enjoyable courtroom-type drama about a lawyer (Matthew McConaughy (sp?)) hired to get a client (Ryan Phillippe) off of a murder charge.

Lots of twists and turns, and McConaughy is really, really good in it - a far change from his usual comedy or otherwise light-hearted roles. I do like to see actors branching out into other genres.

A solid 8/10 for me. Marissa Tomei is still damn hot as well :D

Due Date - Simple comedy but I thought it was well executed and thoroughly enjoyed it 7/10

The Kings Speech - Didnt think Id enjoy it but thought it was a very good movie and very well acted 8/10

The Lincoln Lawyer

An enjoyable courtroom-type drama about a lawyer (Matthew McConaughy (sp?)) hired to get a client (Ryan Phillippe) off of a murder charge.

Lots of twists and turns, and McConaughy is really, really good in it - a far change from his usual comedy or otherwise light-hearted roles. I do like to see actors branching out into other genres.

I think Matthew McConaughey (I'll admit, I checked the spelling on Google) is the last person I would hire to be my lawyer!

Bear in mind though, I think of him and I automatically think Texas Chainsaw Massacre 4 or Sahara...

The Lincoln Lawyer

Sounds like A Time To Kill without the racist/KKK theme and Samuel L Jackson.

I think Matthew McConaughey (I'll admit, I checked the spelling on Google) is the last person I would hire to be my lawyer!

Bear in mind though, I think of him and I automatically think Texas Chainsaw Massacre 4 or Sahara...

If it's not A Time to Kill it's Sahara for me aswell.

The Lincoln Lawyer

Saw this on Friday too, I really enjoyed it as well.

Rango - 6.5/10

It was okay, but my seven year old wasn't impressed, probably as westerns aren't on tv and she didn't get most of the references to spagetti westerns and bonanza.

More for me to enjoy than for kids.

The Devil Rides Out (1968)

I would like, if I may, to take you on a strange journey (not everyone will get that reference)...

We have a leader of a devil worshipping group trying to raise Satan through black magic, led by the brilliant Charles Gray.

Against him is the equally brilliant Christopher Lee and a group of his friends and relatives, who have come under attack in order to help complete Gray's plans.

The film combines horror, religious imagery and black magic in a way which was very brave back in the late 60s.

Brilliant film, and one of the best that Hammer ever produced! I wonder if the reformed production company can produce anything of this level again (although Let Me In was supposed to be quite good, albeit a remake...)?

9/10

Just saw Kick-Ass for the first time tonight, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Great performances all round. I can imagine it woulda been tremendous fun to make. Great entertainment 9/10

Agreed.

I watched this last night and it cheered me up after a really shite day.

Just about to watch "wall street" for the first time in years :)

The Devil Rides Out (1968)

I would like, if I may, to take you on a strange journey (not everyone will get that reference)...

We have a leader of a devil worshipping group trying to raise Satan through black magic, led by the brilliant Charles Gray.

Against him is the equally brilliant Christopher Lee and a group of his friends and relatives, who have come under attack in order to help complete Gray's plans.

The film combines horror, religious imagery and black magic in a way which was very brave back in the late 60s.

Brilliant film, and one of the best that Hammer ever produced! I wonder if the reformed production company can produce anything of this level again (although Let Me In was supposed to be quite good, albeit a remake...)?

9/10

The second best movie Hammer ever made. The only one that is better in my opinion is To The Devil A Daughter, which is also based on a novel by Dennis Wheatley. I assume you've watched that as well?

Sounds like A Time To Kill without the racist/KKK theme and Samuel L Jackson.

The story is very different, but the character that Matthew McConnaughie plays is almost exactly the same; I think the two of them are his best films by quite a distance.

So it actually sounds nothing like A Time to Kill then?

He is a defence lawyer in a trial... but the setting is completely different, and the crimes completely different, and the theme of the film completely different.

Saw this on Friday too, I really enjoyed it as well.

I loved it.

The book is clearly better, in my view, but it is a very, very good adaptation.

The soundtrack is absolutely brilliant.

'The Rocky Horror Picture Show'?

Aye, Charles Gray is the narrator.

The second best movie Hammer ever made. The only one that is better in my opinion is To The Devil A Daughter, which is also based on a novel by Dennis Wheatley. I assume you've watched that as well?

No, I've not seen that one.

I love the simplicity of the Hammer films, not relying on in-your-face gore and violence to get the fear factor.

I love the simplicity of the Hammer films, not relying on in-your-face gore and violence to get the fear factor.

The 'Hammer House of Horror' tv series was fantastic. Some of it terrified me as a kid, and as you say, there was hardly any gore on show.

'The film that killed Hammer' as it was tagged. Not too bad. There's a decent, though short, documentary about it on the DVD. And you get to see a 16-year-old Nastassja Kinski in the full frontal buff.

The 'Hammer House of Horror' tv series was fantastic. Some of it terrified me as a kid, and as you say, there was hardly any gore on show.

Great series which now can be picked up dirt cheap in its entirety. The scariest episode to my mind was the doppelganger one - The Two Faces of Evil.

Here's a quick copy and paste of the plot -

A hitch-hiker dressed in yellow oil skins attacks the driver of a car who has stopped with his family to give him a lift. The car crashes and the driver fights with the insane hitch-hiker. It appears like the driver, though badly injured, has prevailed and is taken to hospital. The drivers wife subsequently learns that her husband has damaged his throat in the struggle and is unable to talk, she is also asked to identify the body of the madman. The body looks exactly like her husband and doubts begin to enter her mind as to which of the two is the killer.

Hammer died because it was gore free and the lack of controversy. It was a bit too British. I loved it when I was young. Dracula, Prince of Darkness was my favourite when I was growing up. The television series was great as well, I agree.

It was killed off because the big studios in America became interested in horror again. To be honest the film that killed Hammer was The Exorcist.

The history of horror movies could actually deserve a thread of it's own.