Walking Down The Halbeath Road

Quite happy that the Thistle game is moved to the telly IMO. The game isn’t a million miles away so it sounds like we could be still in the injury hell by then, our record at Firhill is trash and the main stand there is a shithole. At least if we’re getting dicked we can just turn it off.

At least will have a bit of atmosphere unlike the game at Hampden on Friday. I appreciate they need to show everyone at home a certain amount of times but Hampden in front of a few hundred people was gash.

Surprised to not see any incoming with you guys yet.

I remember reading a number of your fans being disappointed with the lack of summer business and that was with no injuries ! Your current situation is desperate and ludicrously unlucky, so for an outsider looking in its peculiar to not have seen emergency cover on opening of window. On assumption deals were being worked prior.

Being honest I really don’t rate McPake whatsoever and do wonder if he’s got a very narrow and restricted view when looking for targets. Players unknown to the championship from Ireland and lower leagues of England have came in but if McPake only deals with the known then it appears your shopping at a level below DU, Partick, us and clearly ICT.

No malice intended whatsoever and Dunfermline need to be a Championship club as a minimum but you cannot continue with current squad as is and expect to not finish any better than 9th imo. Suspect keeper, good defenders but all out and relying on Jak for goals isn’t too clever a situation to be in. We were in a poor situation last season with some players that haven’t even been picked up at L2 level but with Stanton, Vaughan and Connolly we had enough to be ahead of a chronic Cove and Hamilton. Abroath and QP are better than them and that’s got to be the concern..

4 hours ago, McMad said:

Anyone that thinks that 6 point gap is enough is deluded. 

Have I missed something, or have you just made something up, to call an imaginary person deluded? Genuinely haven’t seen anyone say that we’re safe as we are.

Everyone is well aware that we’re needing at least a couple of bodies in asap. 

52 minutes ago, RAITHROVERS84 said:

I remember reading a number of your fans being disappointed with the lack of summer business and that was with no injuries ! Your current situation is desperate and ludicrously unlucky, so for an outsider looking in its peculiar to not have seen emergency cover on opening of window. On assumption deals were being worked prior.

Being honest I really don’t rate McPake whatsoever and do wonder if he’s got a very narrow and restricted view when looking for targets. Players unknown to the championship from Ireland and lower leagues of England have came in but if McPake only deals with the known then it appears your shopping at a level below DU, Partick, us and clearly ICT.

No malice intended whatsoever and Dunfermline need to be a Championship club as a minimum but you cannot continue with current squad as is and expect to not finish any better than 9th imo. Suspect keeper, good defenders but all out and relying on Jak for goals isn’t too clever a situation to be in. We were in a poor situation last season with some players that haven’t even been picked up at L2 level but with Stanton, Vaughan and Connolly we had enough to be ahead of a chronic Cove and Hamilton. Abroath and QP are better than them and that’s got to be the concern..

Hard to disagree with this. Although, I would point we didn’t have no injuries in the summer. From memory, Todd and KRH were out from very early on and I think Breen maybe had an issue too. O’Halloran also got injured as soon as he signed. We’re obviously much worse just now though than we were then.

I was very open on here last week, that I was disappointed that we didn’t have any early window activity, particularly when we’ve been struggling for so long now.

I said at the weekend, 2 players may be enough to keep us safe. But it won’t be comfortable. One has to be a CB. I’d prefer 2 CBs, but if we signed a midfielder, meaning Otoo and/or Hamilton can continue in defence, it’s not the end of the world.

Knowing the extent of the injuries for Comrie/Benedictus/Breen, I’m tempted to say we also need a RB/RWB. It certainly seems like once Comrie’s back, he’ll still be needed in the back 3.

It’s not like our squad was sensational with everyone fit but I’d have at least been confident we certainly would not be getting relegated.

Having Bene, Breen, Fisher, Todd, KRH and McCann out medium-long term is just brutal; they are all near enough certain starters.

41 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

Hard to disagree with this. Although, I would point we didn’t have no injuries in the summer. From memory, Todd and KRH were out from very early on and I think Breen maybe had an issue too. O’Halloran also got injured as soon as he signed. We’re obviously much worse just now though than we were then.

I was very open on here last week, that I was disappointed that we didn’t have any early window activity, particularly when we’ve been struggling for so long now.

I said at the weekend, 2 players may be enough to keep us safe. But it won’t be comfortable. One has to be a CB. I’d prefer 2 CBs, but if we signed a midfielder, meaning Otoo and/or Hamilton can continue in defence, it’s not the end of the world.

Knowing the extent of the injuries for Comrie/Benedictus/Breen, I’m tempted to say we also need a RB/RWB. It certainly seems like once Comrie’s back, he’ll still be needed in the back 3.

Fair enough.

As I said no malice intended and wouldn’t want the Pars down as were odds against to go up. I think the Championship next season whilst won’t be the strongest of all time has the chances of being the tightest ever. Replace DU with Livi (who I expect to do a Hamilton) and Abroath or QP with Falkirk. There would be very little you’d imagine between all 10 sides.

Thats next season though, all you guys will be concerned with is what’s happening over the next 20 days.

2 hours ago, RAITHROVERS84 said:

I would say I was definitely in the “not got enough” camp in the summer. We didn’t address the lack of goals in the team. I have to say, with no injuries I’m fairly content with our squad/quality. Not a title winning (championship) squad but definitely one that can compete. However, so many injuries to so many key, guaranteed starting players has really impacted us.

I think we might get 2/3 in. Two defenders or a defender and midfielder soon, then possibly another later in the window. Realistically, if we had everyone fit I’d like a new goalie and a proper striker. Unfortunately we just need a bit of depth. Wouldn’t be shocked if as good as it got for us was some Old Firm B team loans.

Just noticed Scott Burns posted an article about Dundee wanting defensive cover before allowing Ashcroft on loan. Sounds like Pars, Raith, ICT & Thistle all interested.

IMG_7940.jpeg

It’s getting a bit tiresome seeing other clubs in the division making signings (in areas that we need players) and getting nothing from the club. I don’t doubt they’re trying, but it’s mental that they haven’t brought anyone in.

Honestly don’t know whether the scouting department is poor, or they’re just not willing to pay players championship level wages. Given our chief scout is in our dugout during matches and on the pitch during warm ups, I’m not sure how we’re meant to be finding potential signings. What kind of professional structure has a ‘chief scout’ that takes warm ups and sits in the dugout during games? Surely they should be out watching potential signings on a Saturday? But, even then, we’ve been linked with players and a decent number of them end up at other championship clubs. Which suggests we just aren’t willing to pay players what other championship clubs are.

Last season, we were told that the players we wanted wouldn’t drop down to league 1. I could understand that and got behind the philosophy of going with a small squad, rather than signing duds just to get out of that league. But that narrative suggested we had players in mind, or at least targets of a level that could improve the team this year. I’m not seeing any of that though. In 4 days, we’ll be halfway through this transfer window. I honestly can’t believe we haven’t got bodies in yet, given it’s been clear for months now that we need to add numbers asap.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. If we aren’t competing at the top end of the championship (at the very least), running a training facility and academy just isn’t sustainable. We won’t be able to cover the running costs at all. Some investment is needed in the first team, in order to generate the funds required to pay for all of these costs.

In terms of this dream we have of selling players to generate money, having them play through injury/rushing them back and/or having them cover several positions will only hamper their development and lower their value. 

27 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

It’s getting a bit tiresome seeing other clubs in the division making signings

Just depends if the parent club is happy for them to go, obviously not much Raith could do the guy was out of contract and Patrick obviously gave him the deal he wanted.

Turner obviously couldn't be chucked out of Ross County quick enough, he's a class player but clearly not a player you want when things aren't going for you.

Sounds like we will have competition of Ashcroft, if Dundee can get a replacement in I would hope we can land that deal but I would have hoped for a younger Mahon type loan to have come in by now as there will be less interest on that type of player.

4 minutes ago, 101 said:

Just depends if the parent club is happy for them to go, obviously not much Raith could do the guy was out of contract and Patrick obviously gave him the deal he wanted.

Turner obviously couldn't be chucked out of Ross County quick enough, he's a class player but clearly not a player you want when things aren't going for you.

Sounds like we will have competition of Ashcroft, if Dundee can get a replacement in I would hope we can land that deal but I would have hoped for a younger Mahon type loan to have come in by now as there will be less interest on that type of player.

I get that. But we should have been prepared for this window and made sure there were guys coming in early. It’s not like we can only start talking to clubs about who is/isn’t available when the window opens. We’ve had these issues for months and we’ve known that we need more bodies in.

Even John Hughes was prepared for the January window 2 years ago - Lawless was announced in December as a player who was joining in January. We’ve done the same with Callum Morris in the past. I think Coll Donaldson was sorted very early January.

For whatever reason, we’re not as organised as we should have been. It’s as simple as that. We were linked with 2 players last week. It’s been 6 days since we finished the game with Miller Fenton, Chris Hamilton and Josh Edwards as a back 3 and we’ve denied interest in one of the players and more clubs are now reportedly interested in the other.

Ashcroft hasn’t been involved for Dundee all season. If we wanted him, a deal should have been agreed for when the window opened. If that wasn’t possible, we should have been finding someone who was available. We can’t afford to wait until the end of the window, or we’re going to be in a relegation battle with a team of kids playing through injuries and out of position.

I wonder if clubs are reluctant to loan to you guys given the injuries you seem to have been accumulating. Clubs wouldn’t want to loan out a player and have him return crocked.

Edited by Enigma

23 minutes ago, Enigma said:

I wonder if clubs are reluctant to loan to you guys given the injuries you seem to have been accumulating. Clubs wouldn’t want to loan out a player and have him return crocked.

On the flipside any player loaned in is guaranteed game time. 

I don't think it's a question of clubs not being keen to loan us players, we seem to have a good relationship with the old firm with regards to loanees. I just think we've not got recruitment nailed down very well. 

Thing is, we all thought as soon as the window opened that Ashcroft would be going on loan to someone. Then yesterday, 10 days into the window Tony Doc says he'll only let him go if he gets cover. That completely scuppers that until Dundee bring in a defender, could be today, could be the last day of the window.

I'm frustrated with how we've been doing in the last couple of windows but I don't deny the club are trying. If you look at McPake's early days at the club, first two signings were Bene and Chris Hamilton, I thought here we go, someone who knows what he's doing. But since then it's all been a bit meh. When we signed KRH I didn't think he would do as well as he did, and subsequently become one of our players permanently, so fair play for that one. But in large, the signings haven't been amazing. I'm thankful of all last years loans that we managed to get permanently like Fisher, Otoo and KRH, but I hoped for some more quality and experience to go with it.

I don't think it's purely down to McPake, I think the board have to take some flak too. He gets stick for being a jobs for the boys type guy but realistically  if you've worked with someone who's played in that division before and done well and they're available then why not. I watched Jakubiak for Dundee last season was impressed, but they had more quality in the final third than we do at the moment. I was quite happy when he signed but people thing he just signed him because he had played for Dundee. Even the McGowan signing last season in January. He's a pal of McPake's but it made sense, experienced pro, has his problems but also a winner, comes in to just help is over the line.

He did say he'd tried to sign the likes of Moffatt and Summers last season but couldn't get it done, so there is some scouting going on I think, or is it just that he'd good pals with Darren O'Dea who's the Celtic B manager. Who knows! 

If we could get Otoo & McCann back for Saturday that would be a good start. Hopefully a signing or two. 4/5 of the next games at home, and if I'm being honest I don't see why we couldn't win them all. Airdrie, Queens Park, Morton and Arbroath will all think they can come and win but in reality, all have came to East End and lost this season with the exception of Queens Park who haven't yet played us at East End yet. The away game at Tannadice will be tough, if we take anything it's a bonus, but if we can get a good number of points from the four home games then i'll make a big difference in the table and keep us away from the bottom.

4 minutes ago, The Toun Clock said:

Thing is, we all thought as soon as the window opened that Ashcroft would be going on loan to someone. Then yesterday, 10 days into the window Tony Doc says he'll only let him go if he gets cover. That completely scuppers that until Dundee bring in a defender, could be today, could be the last day of the window.

The urgency in which we need to add defenders to the squad means that even if the scenario you’ve given is spot on, we should have simply moved to our next top target.

What if Dundee decide tomorrow that Ashcroft can go but he wants to go to Raith? I can’t accept that he is our first and only option.

It’s not like we’re just missing that one guy who will change everything; we need multiple players to plug the gaping wounds in our squad. It can’t just be a case of sitting twiddling our thumbs waiting on another club deciding if they want to keep someone.

The injury situation was significant before the QP game but with Comrie and Jak going down it became critical. Ending the game with Fenton, Hoggan and Sutherland on the pitch should have been a red alert sort of situation but almost a week later and we have added no one.

Let’s hope we see some more movement over the next week or two because this is only going to get worse otherwise.

35 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Surely there are options out there? Even on loan from English teams, just to plug it for a month. 

I think the resistance to that from your owners would be that you'd still be landed with their wages for the rest of the season so they'd want some quality and competition rather than short-term squad fillers.

I would be surprised though if there isn't any movement in the next week or so given your injury crisis.

1 hour ago, CallumPar said:

I get that. But we should have been prepared for this window and made sure there were guys coming in early. It’s not like we can only start talking to clubs about who is/isn’t available when the window opens. We’ve had these issues for months and we’ve known that we need more bodies in.

Even John Hughes was prepared for the January window 2 years ago - Lawless was announced in December as a player who was joining in January. We’ve done the same with Callum Morris in the past. I think Coll Donaldson was sorted very early January.

For whatever reason, we’re not as organised as we should have been. It’s as simple as that. We were linked with 2 players last week. It’s been 6 days since we finished the game with Miller Fenton, Chris Hamilton and Josh Edwards as a back 3 and we’ve denied interest in one of the players and more clubs are now reportedly interested in the other.

Ashcroft hasn’t been involved for Dundee all season. If we wanted him, a deal should have been agreed for when the window opened. If that wasn’t possible, we should have been finding someone who was available. We can’t afford to wait until the end of the window, or we’re going to be in a relegation battle with a team of kids playing through injuries and out of position.

I agree but if I was McPake I would be very tempted to leave Ashcrofts wages open for as long as that deal remains a possability, we are unlikely to get another experienced CB that has won the league in this window.

But seeing as we need 2 defenders then I agree we should have been looking to bring in someone who is available now. To me it kind of points to the strange decision for the Germans to invest in a Scottish club post Brexit, they obviously have good knowledge of the German league and others in Central Europe but seeing as the only Europeans we can bring in are Irish or capped internationals it does on the face of it seem a waste of their knowledge and scouting potential.

Anyway I'm sure Craig has a queue of defenders to take photos off with the scarf above their head today!