Walking Down The Halbeath Road

3 minutes ago, Daz80 said:

Took it as a wind up, since it was possibly the most baffling thing a manager has done at the rovers in recent memory. 

Aye? I don't think it's even close to the obvious... 

8 hours ago, CallumPar said:

I don’t understand why so much focus/frustration about transfers has been aimed at the board - Cook and Meggle in particular. I don’t know enough about what’s going on to know who’s to blame. I’d guess they just seem like easy targets, particularly if people are keen to shift the blame from the manager/players.

If we believe the stories that terms were agreed with Dundee for Byrne, Ashcroft and Rudden, there’s not anymore they could have done. The players just chose a better option. But we should have had backups for all of them. To date, Kane instead of Rudden is the only alternative we’ve seen. We also didn’t really seem to have a backup option for Wotherspoon. I don’t know whose fault that is, but it seems like we’re making the same mistakes repeatedly both on and off the park and not learning from them.

I’m also really questioning our scouting. We can’t identify targets that are good enough (based on signings we’ve made). But, particularly when we need to strengthen, I’m fed up of seeing our chief scout setting up drills for our first team’s warm up and sitting in our dugout every Saturday. Surely he should be out scouting players - it seems like an important part of the job. If our main targets are all players that McPake/Mackay have identified, having worked with them before, what is our chief scout actually doing to justify that role?

Deleted personal attack on scout. Sorry

Edited by Well over Par

9 hours ago, Well over Par said:

I believe the guy played a big role in finding talent when Crawford was in charge. If that’s the case, giving him this role has ended up making him totally ineffective in his scouting role now.

edited to remove the references to deleted post.

Edited by CallumPar

13 minutes ago, Well over Par said:

Our scout should be watching the next opponents on a Saturday not strolling about in a tight fitting tracksuit doing fuk all 

he has some wanky title like director of first team operations? 
think that means kicking the ball back to players in warm up and looking fat ?

That's really poor to start in on personal attacks on the guy. Absolutely shite behaviour.

Also, being a chief scout, i'd imagine that means less going to other grounds yourself and more organising those who do go to grounds to get reports back to you on players you request or next opponents. Scouting is very much different to what it was 10 years ago thanks to things like Wyscout. 

18 minutes ago, Well over Par said:

Our scout should be watching the next opponents on a Saturday not strolling about in a tight fitting tracksuit doing fuk all 

he has some wanky title like director of first team operations? 
think that means kicking the ball back to players in warm up and looking fat ?

There's not even a budget to give this guy a full time role, he has a 9-5 outside of football because the club couldn't offer him a role. He was brought in as a scout under Crawford but for some reason has became an in dugout type guy on a Saturday. I'm sure that's not his choice and he's just following instruction.

You're choosing to take the easy option and taking aim at a guys who's virtually a volunteer and doing what he's told. What a pathetic wee fanny.

9 minutes ago, CountryBumpkin said:

Also, being a chief scout, i'd imagine that means less going to other grounds yourself and more organising those who do go to grounds to get reports back to you on players you request or next opponents. Scouting is very much different to what it was 10 years ago thanks to things like Wyscout. 

5 minutes ago, The Toun Clock said:

There's not even a budget to give this guy a full time role, he has a 9-5 outside of football because the club couldn't offer him a role. He was brought in as a scout under Crawford but for some reason has became an in dugout type guy on a Saturday. I'm sure that's not his choice and he's just following instruction.

You're choosing to take the easy option and taking aim at a guys who's virtually a volunteer and doing what he's told. What a pathetic wee fanny.

Didn’t realise either of these things, to be fair and it’s genuinely good to know. If he’s co-ordinating a group of scouts that are going to watch potential signings, then that’s fair enough and I’ve misunderstood his role.

For clarity, my comments on this weren’t ever intended as an attack on him, my questions were aimed at the set up of this role/department and not the employee himself. As I say, from what I’ve heard, he is a good scout and helped identify a lot of the good players we signed when Crawford was here. 

Couple of points about the issues mentioned above, without directly replying and tagging everyone...

On the Hamburg trip - not only is the timing pretty terrible, I'm a bit confused about the while point of it all. Not only will Meggle know all about the stuff St Pauli do, a lot of the stuff that makes the German fan experience good are things like selling beer and bratwurst in the stands(which we can't do), having the 50%+1 rule for ownership (which ironically the German board have basically took us away from), cheap ticket prices (affordable due to a massive TV deal), etc. They talk about a museum (which we don't have the space, or the interest from the public for) and volunteers (which we already have a lot of). So what exactly was the point other than a wee jolly to a European game?

On the scout stuff - it's strange that there have been some pretty disparaging comments both on here and on dotnet (yes, I know) about him being a failed council worker, or a glorified bib and cone collector, to "fannying about" during the warm ups and about his ill fitting track suit. I didn't know who the guy was or his name until someone posted it on the other site yet other people were posting stuff which suggested almost a personal dislike of the guy. 

Overall, the whole club is in a bit of a mess at the moment. But if we can get a couple of bodies in and pick up a surprise point in Glasgow then you never know, suddenly things maybe won't seem so bad.

I think that's all fair Salvo.

Had we been doing OK, I doubt the Hamburg trip would have caught much attention, if any. As it is, the optics are pretty appalling. As a PST member, I really should have more of a clue of what it is they do. A look at the website isn't inspiring and I'm now trying to work out what a membership gets me. I don't see much in the form of email updates/newsletters but maybe they're being picked up as spam or I've just glossed over them. Membership is up for a renewal I see and there's an AGM coming up...

The personal attacks and digs at the Chief Scout, or whatever his title is, are scummy. Guy is employed to do work but is unlikely to be a position of leadership. Targeted criticism of the club management is fair game but gratuitous abuse at specific employees and players are the lowest I think we can get as fans. We want to build this club, we need to show respect to those who want to work or play for the club.

3 hours ago, CallumPar said:

Taylor Sutherland has made a decent number of appearances? When did this happen? He’s an 18 year old kid that’s played less than 90 minutes of first team football for the club.

edit to add - I’m not defending McPake here. I think he seems totally out his depth. But the number of first team injuries has constantly been between 7 and about 12 for 5 months now - and that’s not including guys playing through injuries. It’s absolutely mental to try and suggest that we do, or even should, have the depth of squad that can cover that.

I didn't know how many minutes he'd been on the park across them, but it's arguable that one start and eight sub appearances is enough to be considered part of the first team, as opposed to someone who makes up the numbers on the bench and gets one or two token sub appearances all season.

4 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

. It's difficult to see what the board have done wrong in terms of supporting the manager with recruitment in this window though.

, you've still got one of the largest first team squads in the division..

You watched Benjamin and Fagan-Walcott get destroyed and your thoughts are ‘yes definitely nothing wrong with dunfermline’s recruitment here?’ 

Where are you getting the part about us having one of the largest squads in the division from? It doesn’t feel right when we are mostly only listing 2/3 first team subs, we do have quite a few injuries so I guess it is possible but even so the claim of the dismissal of not providing cover doesn’t add up when the extent of these injuries where mostly known before the window opened, failure to bring in cover is still a valid criticism.

Opposition fans seem to criticise mcpakes recruitment more than our own fans and I guess that’s due to an assumption we operate in the traditional manner of ‘your budget is x, you go sign some players’  we don’t recruit like that

meagle is heavily involved, signings are mostly aimed to fit his model where the first priority is will we be able to improve them and get a transfer fee in future and mcpake doesn’t do any negotiations once targets have been identified.

that doesn’t let mcpake off the hook cos he is part of the recruitment team, but it maybe why pars fans are less critical of him in that.

1 minute ago, Dunning1874 said:

I didn't know how many minutes he'd been on the park across them, but it's arguable that one start and eight sub appearances is enough to be considered part of the first team, as opposed to someone who makes up the numbers on the bench and gets one or two token sub appearances all season.

His only start was when we played a weakened 11 in the challenge cup. His sub appearances have all been late in games when we don’t have any senior options left.

12 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

meagle is heavily involved, signings are mostly aimed to fit his model where the first priority is will we be able to improve them and get a transfer fee in future and mcpake doesn’t do any negotiations once targets have been identified.

Has this actually been confirmed?

3 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Pretty sure most of it can be put down to quotes from mcpake but I’m not hunting them down

So how does that explain O'Halloran and Jakubiak and the attempts to sign Wotherspoon, Brophy, Rudden and Ashcroft?