Last Book You Read....

H_B

9 hours ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I've been reading the Harry McCoy books by Alan Parks.

Sort of a 70's Rebus set in Glasgow.  Very enjoyable.

I read (listened to in the car travelling to/from work) the first one of those a few weeks ago. Really enjoyed it too. 

10 hours ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I've been reading the Harry McCoy books by Alan Parks.

Sort of a 70's Rebus set in Glasgow.  Very enjoyable.

Noted! Cheers.

4 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

Started re-reading East of Eden by John Steinbeck. I read it years ago and loved it so thought I would read it again.

For those unfamiliar with Steinbeck's works "The Grapes of Wrath" is not about piles. 

Girl in a Band by Kim Gordon.

Having read Kim's ex-husband and bandmate's memoir previously, it was really interesting to see the way the same events were described completely differently. An open, honest and brutal account of her life, while I found the musical parts of Thurston's book more interesting, Kim's is a lot more honest and raw. A fine writer who isn't afraid to tell the truth.

Batman: The Court of Owls by Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo.

The Snyder/Capullo run is one of my favourite Batman Eras, and this is the start of it. As good as I remember it being. Sharp writing and stunning artwork. Will continue with the series seeing  as how it's all on Kindle Unlimited just now.

Posted (edited)

Half way through In Ascension - Martin Macinnes, Its brilliant so far. Very well written, so well written that I have quite often reread pages before moving to the next just to be sure I had full concentration and absorbed it fully. 

Edited by ScotiaNostra

2 hours ago, Jives Miguel said:

Where's the best place to buy 2nd hand books?

Don't fancy dumpster diving through the bins of Dan Brown and 50 Shades of Gray in the charity shops.

World of books online. As for charity shops it depends what you’re looking for. In the more middle class areas they’ve probably got a wider selection. The chest, heart and stroke in Partick seemed quite good. 

On 19/05/2024 at 05:35, houston_bud said:

He could've been a big player in successive Tory governments if he'd fallen into line behind the mental Johnson/Truss lot. I think to say that he's a careerist isnt right.

I'd rather a Conservative party full of the likes of Stewart than the last few leaders.

I read his book The Marches a few years back and really enjoyed it. His documentary series on Afghanistan was good too. 

Rory Stewart is a weird imperialist freak. No better than any other Tory. 

Same as Ever   by Morgan Housel.   Something of a mish mash that's hard to really get into. Not because it's ultra complex, just messy and bitty.

A not great follow-up to the excellent The Psychology of Money .