Last Book You Read....

H_B

On 26/07/2024 at 19:01, Stellaboz said:

Just finished The Dark Forest, the 2nd book of The 3 Body Problem series.

Genuinely one of the most thrilling, and best story written books I've ever read. Absolutely brilliant, it the next is anywhere near as good I'll be ecstatic.

Excellent series of books. There are two TV adaptations too: one for the “I can’t read subtitles market”, and a good one.

On 25/07/2024 at 16:34, Shandon Par said:

Turns out her business partner/investor is also into concrete and has an abandoned concrete factory. This is the lair in which he carries out all his heinous sex crimes and murders.

Definitive proof that Welsh reads P&B and has you marked as one for the watching.

The late Catalan architect Ricardo Bofill bought a disused cement works and transformed it into his studio and family home.

https://www.houseandgarden.co.uk/gallery/ricardo-bofill-visions-of-architecture

bofill.jpeg.b0244a468589755e7c89dcf855ef39e6.jpeg

2-24.webp

Edited by Florentine_Pogen

Don't know if it's common knowledge but I was pointed to:

www.fantasticfiction.com

by my local friendly librarian. Searchable database by genre, author, book title etc and also has recommendations, similar to type listings as well.

Helpfully it also provides all books written by a certain author too. The plan is for you to click on the links to buy said books but if you're planning on going elsewhere its an excellent starting point.

Hope it helps out some folk.

On 26/07/2024 at 19:01, Stellaboz said:

Just finished The Dark Forest, the 2nd book of The 3 Body Problem series.

Genuinely one of the most thrilling, and best story written books I've ever read. Absolutely brilliant, it the next is anywhere near as good I'll be ecstatic.

I've just started Three Body Problem. Fantastic so far.

16 hours ago, BukyOHare said:

Don't know if it's common knowledge but I was pointed to:

www.fantasticfiction.com

by my local friendly librarian. Searchable database by genre, author, book title etc and also has recommendations, similar to type listings as well.

Helpfully it also provides all books written by a certain author too. The plan is for you to click on the links to buy said books but if you're planning on going elsewhere its an excellent starting point.

Hope it helps out some folk.

My wife uses that website a lot, it's a really good resource. Great for finding out when authors are publishing new books.

2 hours ago, Count Mongo del Fantastico said:

I've just started Three Body Problem. Fantastic so far.

Finished the 3rd and final one last night. 

Absolutely tremendous

Sellout by Dan Ozzi.

A book detailing the wave of punk bands who signed for major labels in the 90s and 00s and their varying degrees of success. I found it absolutely fascinating, especially since it was all bands I'm familiar with, and in the most cases a fan of. Great, interesting read about a subject I'm into.

5 hours ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

And Every Morning the Way Home Gets Longer and Longer by Fredrik Backman

This novella is a re read for me and it's just achingly beautiful. What a writer.

The only book of his I have read is A Man Called Ove. It was really, really good though. 

Bear Island by Alistair MacLean.

Found a set of his books published in the seventies in a charity shop and have been working my way through them, almost at the end now but will probably re-read most of them straight away.

Edited by CountyinBorders

1 hour ago, CountyinBorders said:

Bear Island by Alistair MacLean.

Found a set of his books published in the seventies in a charity shop and have been working my way through them, almost at the end now but will probably read most of them straight away.

Loved his (earlier) books. This was a good one. 

Jamie Cooks Italy by Jamie Oliver. Great idea but poorly executed.

I won't spoil too much but its a pastiche of 21st online food culture as well as the modern novel but there lies the problem it tries to do too much and ends up not hitting either. Some good points: I do admire the author's sense of humour in creating a dislikeable lead character and naming it after himself and while I appreciate the dry humour in the long 'recipe' passages, I did find them to be overly long and detailed.

The wife has started using it unironically as a cookbook though, probably for the best as I got a few bemused looks from people while reading it on the train.

Does manga count? Powering through unofficial Jojo's Bizarre Adventure translations and up to JoJolion.

Next likely book is JK Rowling's latest Strike novel (when it's out next year). I await the veiled references to JKR's own unpleasant views on social issues inside.

Edited by Josuke Higashikata