Last Book You Read....

H_B

11 hours ago, The Nightfly said:

Robicheaux, the latest atmospheric novel by James Lee Burke. There is a much the sameness about each of his stories with the same characters appearing, doing and saying the same things. The passing of time is only really measured by the growing up of Alafair, the protagonists adopted daughter.
Nice relaxing read.

I loved those books. Somehow you could imagine the scenes of the bayou perfectly with his style of writing. 

On 11/14/2018 at 08:41, Fide said:

I'm looking for some new Post Apocalyptic/ Dystopian books to read.. Any suggestions?

I've read Swan Song, The Road and The Stand, so that kind of vibe...  I'm also a huge fan of the Fallout games.

I read one recently called Station Eleven, by Emily St John Mandel. It's set in America after a flu virus has wiped out most of humanity. I really liked it, worth a read. 

Also The Long Walk and The Running Man by Stephen King (writing as Richard Bachman). Both are in a collection called The Bachman Books. 

Edited by Sliced Bread

4 hours ago, Sliced Bread said:

I read one recently called Station Eleven, by Emily St John Mandel. It's set in America after a flu virus has wiped out most of humanity. I really liked it, worth a read.

Also The Long Walk and The Running Man by Stephen King (writing as Richard Bachman). Both are in a collection called The Bachman Books. 

Station Eleven is comfortably in my top five books ever read.

On 11/13/2018 at 21:15, The Nightfly said:

Robicheaux, the latest atmospheric novel by James Lee Burke. There is a much the sameness about each of his stories with the same characters appearing, doing and saying the same things. The passing of time is only really measured by the growing up of Alafair, the protagonists adopted daughter.
Nice relaxing read.

Had to try Robicheaux's tipple of Dr Pepper with ice, lime and cherries. Tasty but so sweet my teeth hurt. Think I've read nearly all of the Robicheaux books now. Always think if people like Rebus they'd probably like him. 

2 minutes ago, Sliced Bread said:

I stumbled across it on Bookbub, think I picked it up for £1 or so. Have you read anything else of hers? 

I've read everything of hers. I'm a bit of a fan. They're all good, but Station Eleven is her best work. The Singer's Gun is probably my next favourite, followed by The Lola Quartet and then Last Night in Montreal, her debut, is the weakest. None of them took me more than a day to read. She's got a new one coming out next year and I can't wait.

Reading Ian Marchant’s ‘A Hero For High Times’ which I’m only just scratching the surface of this social history biography and loving it so far, appears to be an engaging and well written book about counterculture from 1956-1994 told through the eyes of one bloke. Will be ploughing through this 

On 14/11/2018 at 08:41, Fide said:

I'm looking for some new Post Apocalyptic/ Dystopian books to read.. Any suggestions?

I've read Swan Song, The Road and The Stand, so that kind of vibe...  I'm also a huge fan of the Fallout games.

You could give The Passage by Justin Cronin a try but it is the first in a rather long trilogy.

Similar to the Stand there's a virus pandemic that almost wipes out humanity and it follows the survivors battles against the 'virals' over a very long time.

I just finished the third book recently, Cronin is a very good writer but he gets a bit wordy at times and needs a better editor. Still enjoyed the books a lot though.

It's not new, but have you read John Wyndham's The Day Of The Triffids?

One of my favourite books. I've read it at least 5 or 6 times. 

Metro 2033 by Dimitry Glukhovsky.

Have you tried the passage trilogy? Well worth a shot and being made as a TV show by fox