The P & B Beer, Lager, Ale, Stout and Cider Guide

Zizou-5

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, love Broadside as well. Haven't had a bad one from Adnam's yet. Definitely my favourite non-Scottish brewery.

The Southwold bitter isn't bad either.

In my pub at the minute we have Highland brewery Pale Ale on at the moment. Really is a fantastic ale like their Orkney IPA is.

Was in The Font just off Oxford Road in Manchester yesterday, had a pint of Alpha States 'Bitter Love' and a pint of Moor Brewers 'Raw' nothing special in either of them Raw is an American Pale Ale not particularly enjoyable and quite cloudy. I preferred the Alpha States beer it was more bitter than I like but had a nice citrus like taste.

Neither of them are beers I would go out of my way to taste again.

Banks bitter is 99p in Aldi permanently. It's a hugely under-rated beer, for me. Citrus notes and a mildly hoppy finish. I love it.

Aldi also have Jennings Bitter, and Jennings Cumberland Ale at 99p both excellent.

I had the Cumberland Ale on draft in the pub outside Morecambes ground when I went there to see Motherwell, tasty but I narrowly preferred the bottle probably because it was cooler.

The Aldi near me, Sale, has not got a great variety and I have worked my way through them all.

Now looking for a new supplier.

Had a pint of Belhaven Best in the Carrick (Irvine) earlier.

Maybe a bit too mainstream for the 'real ale' snobbists but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Also had a bottle of Bulmers Bold Black Cherry cider. Pretty decent as well but one bottle would be enough I think.

Currentl sat outside Brewdog enjoying some AB14. A lovely Weissenbocke aged in oak casks. Almost a banoffee vibe with a nice richness from the hints of oak. Awfy easy to drink for a 10%+ brew too. Teckle.

Are you in the Brewdog across from Kelvingrove?

I love a good Heffeweisse Dunkel or a just a good Heffeweisse, they usually taste of banana bread, yum yum.

Sitting having a pint of Glenfinnan Gold in the most remote pub in Britain just now. Absolutely beautiful. Had a few last night after walking 46km to the pub, the first pint was pure heaven.

Girl I work with got me a couple of bottles of beer, she and her hubby are real ale fanatics and well into their beer.

First one was Hart of Preston Lancashire Bitter and that was really nice, only 3.9 but very tasty.

The second one was Thwaites Lancaster Bomber, a ruby ale with a real hoppy taste, excellent stuff. I had a draught pint of this one in the Kings Arms in Morecambe when I went there to see Motherwell. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Wife advised me that my local B&M store had a fair assortment of beers, so I took a walk up there this morning and bought a few. First one was a Duechars Imperial Pale Ale which was a nice brew thoroughly enjoyed it. The second one was a first for me, a blonde beer, normally I give these a wide berth but as this one, Wychcraft, was brewed by the Wychwood brewery the guys who gave us Hobgoblin. I gave it a shot and I am glad I did, it was excellent. I also got another one of their beers Goliath which I will try later. I have also got a bottle of Brains bitter, and a Thwaites brew called Wainwright, after the guy who did all the Fell walking, and a Jennings brew called Sneck Lifter.

From what you've written, Lip, you'd also enjoy the dark Williams Brothers' beers. Aldi's the place for those - try 7 Giraffes.

Challenge your blond-aversion with Innis & Gunn Blond. Enjoy!

I challenged it with Wychcraft, and it may have cured me. Cheers.

The good lady bought me a dozen different beers as a birthday present. The latest to get downed were Banks Bitter-over carbonated for me but passable. Williams Bros, Caesar Augustus- sorry has to be either a lager or an IPA .For me this hybrid didn't work. Innis and Gunn Original Finish -lovely!

I have a week off Joe along with training for the half marathon, I intend on drinking a few beers!

Tonights is a Skirmishander IPA by the Hopdaemon Brewery in Kent.

It's quite good. Not as bitter finishing as some craft IPA's. £2.99 from Peckhams.

post-32863-13763349785425_thumb.jpg

Booked up for a couple of nights in callendar next month. One of the pubs, the lade inn, is having a real ale festival. Nice!!

The Scottish Real Ale Shop is right beside it. I popped in a few weeks ago. Great selection of Scottish beers from the smaller breweries. Had loads of Tryst stuff which is always good.

The Scottish Real Ale Shop is right beside it. I popped in a few weeks ago. Great selection of Scottish beers from the smaller breweries. Had loads of Tryst stuff which is always good.

Well, that did sway the decision of staying in callendar a bit!!

Was there the other week too.

Their house ales are decent, particularly the Waylade and Ladeback.

Archived