The P & B Beer, Lager, Ale, Stout and Cider Guide

Zizou-5

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I made my way to Hippo Beers on Queen Margaret Drive this morning and got a couple of beers. Firstly, I've had:

Honkers Ale by Goose Island

post-32863-13764936105753_thumb.jpg

Surprisingly good bitter by the yanks! Definitely worth having again.

Secondly Tripel Karmeliet by Bosteels.

post-32863-1376493749749_thumb.jpg

I'm not usually a fan of these stronger Abbey beers from Belgium. This one's very drinkable.

First visit to the Bridge of Allan brewery last night and tried a selection of their drinks. Fantastic stuff, loved the Chili Pot (made with Scotch Bonnets apparently) but glad it was just a tasting glass of it, couldn't drink pints of that!

Bought a couple of litres of their Goldpot to have at home watching the game tonight.

Pal is over in Italy just now.

He's enjoying a pint of Tennent's Super.

For some bizzare reason, over there it's considered a normal thing to drink pints of in the pub.

When I was in Venice I saw it on tap... I was astonished!

Here's my beers for tonight on my week off work.

Celebrator by Ayinger. It's their Doppelbock and is quite tasty. I prefer the Augustiner Maximator though.

post-32863-1376593191014_thumb.jpg

Framboise by Boon. This is a Lambic style beer from Belgium. A tad dear at £5.65 for a 375ml bottle from Hippo Beers, but it's still really quite nice. Don't think I'd buy it again though, outwitg my normal price range!

post-32863-13765933178674_thumb.jpg

First visit to the Bridge of Allan brewery last night and tried a selection of their drinks. Fantastic stuff, loved the Chili Pot (made with Scotch Bonnets apparently) but glad it was just a tasting glass of it, couldn't drink pints of that!

Bought a couple of litres of their Goldpot to have at home watching the game tonight.

Did the tour a couple of weeks ago and would definitely recommend it. The Goldpot was nice, but I preferred the Nut Brown and the Marmalade Ale.

I went a mini pub crawl in the Glasgow West End (feelin a tad worse for wear this morning).

Went to Inn Deep, The Doublet, Brewdog, The Islay Inn, The 78, Bon Accord and finally the Pony.

A pint in each. Had quite a range of styles.

My favourite was probably either Yorkshire by Samuel Smiths in the 78, or Essex Boys Best Bitter by Crouch Vale Brewery in the Bon Accord.

Drinking a Kildoltan Ale by Islay Ales.

ABV: 5.2%

500ml Bottle Conditioned.

Smells mainly of (subtle) ginger.

Pours as dark as Guinness with a lovely creamy beige head.

-

Looks lovely, smells nice but is ultimately let down by the taste. The ginger is very subtle which suggests it may be natural rather than a (ginger) flavouring but the taste is bitter especially the finish. There's also a metallic aftertaste which is pretty obvious.I really wanted to like this and until the actual first taste things were looking good.

-

Drinkable but only just.

kildalton-ale-600px.jpg

For some bizzare reason, over there it's considered a normal thing to drink pints of in the pub.

971058_10151831665273200_1163449342_n.jp

Strange thing foreigners with their strong ales.

In Poland with the wife earlier this year we had a fantastic porter and when we went to order anpther one the barmaid apologised and refused us because we were British, saying: "it is 9.5%, you British only drink it to fight.". I can see her logic in fairness, but it was beautiful to drink, utterly delicious, and nobody would have had any idea it had such a high abv such was it's quality.

Strange thing foreigners with their strong ales.

In Poland with the wife earlier this year we had a fantastic porter and when we went to order anpther one the barmaid apologised and refused us because we were British, saying: "it is 9.5%, you British only drink it to fight.". I can see her logic in fairness, but it was beautiful to drink, utterly delicious, and nobody would have had any idea it had such a high abv such was it's quality.

She probably thought you were from Kilbirnie.

I've been going to Italy since 1983 and have been over there for my summer holiday for the last 7 years. Tennents Super is considered to be right up there with the likes of Duvel, Kwak, Chimay, St. Barnadus. Karameliet and many other Belgian strong beers and will be found in the same section of the refridgerated beers.

Had a pint of Arran Dark in the Salt Cot (Saltcoats) this afternoon. Very decent as always but the rest of the 'real ale' selection was pretty boring with no other Scottish beers available. Compared to the Wetherspoon outlets in Glasgow the Salt Cot is pretty poor when it comes to it's choice of ales but really there is no competition in the area so it's a case of like it or lump it.

Regarding Tennents Super, I actually quite like it. I was in Rome last October with my girlfriend and we went out for a few drinks after a reasonably early (by Italian standards) meal. I had 4 pints of TS in about an hours and a half and was pretty steaming. It went down really easy and tasted much better than drinking cans in a park before a Stenny game.

I'm not sure if that that's because it was of genuinely superior quality, or I was just enjoying the ambience of al fresco drinking in a beautiful city.

I saw this on Twitter and would like to try it.

Its a beer that doesnt give you a hangover.

Australian scientists have added electrolytes to beer so that it has a hydrating effect rather than dehydrating. The result being no hangover the next day. They claim it doesn't affect the flavour.

NB This is a dreadful article but it gives you the gist.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-57599010-71/coming-soon-to-your-bar-a-beer-with-no-hangover/

Drinking a 500ml bottle of Stone's Ginger Joe alcoholic ginger beer.

4% ABV

500ml bottle

-

Pretty decent with a smooth ginger taste rather than one with kick. Still don't think anyone does it as good as Crabbie's though.

Ok for a glass or 2 watching tv but couldn't have a session on it.

Archived