MMA Thread

Shuggie_Murray7

Been thinking about it the last couple of days - Jones would beat Anderson on points or a late TKO. Greg Jackson isn't stupid, he'd be looking at Anderon's one vulnerability he's shown and that was against Sonnen, he can be taken down. Jones definitely holds a wrestling advantage and I believe he could take Silva down, he is a good enough striker to set it up as well. The difference between him and Sonnen is Jones would definitely damage Anderson on the ground, he's got arguably the most brutal GnP in MMA today, especially with those elbows. He'd have to be careful to avoid submissions, as Belfort almost managed on him, but I think he would be able to keep Anderson grounded and win the fight that way.

TUF17 quarter finals are set.

I reckon Kelvin and Uriah go through pretty handily, the other two are closer but i'm going to go Dylan and Josh to complete the semi-final line-up.

I see Troeng-Cella has been added to the Swedish Fuel card, pretty bizarre to see two TUF guys going on another card before the TUF finale.

Edited by Christophe

Johny Hendricks reckons his hand isn't broken (apparently he hasn't had it checked, as it's not as bad as he thought!!!), targeting August for the GSP fight.

Aldo-Pettis is the 163 headliner, so we might see this one go at 164 at the Hometown Throwdown labour day show.

Edited by Christophe

Dana White says he wants that fight in Vegas as GSP hasn't been out of Canada for a while. Does that fit?

Not heard any rumours for destinations beyond 164. The Hometown Throwdown show is in Milwaukee so they may hold off on this one to get in Vegas.

How much of a botten is Bubba on TUF?

If that's a bad thing then aye, he is a total w**k. He looked awful in his fight this week again, completely dominated in round 1 by a clearly average fighter before some awful ground and pound in round 2 against a guy who essentially couldn't breathe. To celebrate that like he'd won the world title afterwards was ridiculous. Uriah will knock his head off in the QFs so it's all good.

Bellator 93...

Thought Page-Sanders could have went longer, for me Sanders was covering up anticipating Page swarming him. The decision by Page to take a step back made the ref's mind up but not sure it was necessarily a stoppage. Can see why the ref steps in but he could have seen what the next 5 seconds brought i think.

Spiritwolf needs to invest in a better cup, i've no doubt the guy was in pain but i've seen guys take similar and worse blows and carry on. Dissapointing start to the main card.

Ryan Martinez looked good, that was a decent flurry of punches to end the fight. Should be one to look out for in the next heavyweight tournament.

Held-Jansen was good. Easily Marcin's round in the first. Jansen's ground and pound amidst the leg attempts in the second gave him that round. Held's submission game in the last was completely out of gas, don't think Jansen was ever in danger in the 3rd and got off some good elbows while defending. I gave him that one too, as did the three judges. Pretty cut and dry. The big prize here for Jansen is the money, as the title fight is pretty worthless given he poses absolutely no threat whatsoever to Michael Chandler.

Good card overall in what looked the weakest of the remainder of the season.

Last two cards of the season are awesome.... Cannot wait for those.

If that's a bad thing then aye, he is a total w**k. He looked awful in his fight this week again, completely dominated in round 1 by a clearly average fighter before some awful ground and pound in round 2 against a guy who essentially couldn't breathe. To celebrate that like he'd won the world title afterwards was ridiculous.

I think it was relief more than anything. It was proper last chance saloon stuff after three horrific rounds for him.

He's still a w**k though.

Waachiim Spiritwolf vs. Marcus Davis

Marcus Davis is always good for an exciting fight. Spiritwolf just SOUNDS cool. Well, that was underwhelming, wasn't it? They spent 90 seconds doing absolutely nothing. The accidental low blow was a blessing for this fight, although probably not for Spiritwolf.

Ryan Sanders vs. Michael Page

Page is a big boy. He's also a pretty good fighter by the looks of things. Sanders ran right into a right hand instantly, and clearly learned nothing and took a second the exact same way. What a walloper. Still though, that was some class from Page there.

Jason Butcher vs. Jack Hermansson

Butcher wins this one, but not without a fight from Hermansson who put up with that Triangle Choke for a LONG time. That fucker was tight though, and Hermansson didn't have a chance against it.

Ryan Martinez vs. Travis Wiuff

Big Dan is the referee, and seems amused by something. Probably asking himself "how the f**k do I keep getting work?!" or something. Martinez just fucking leathered Wiuff there. Not much else you can say about that!

Pierry Pierre vs. Joe Pacheco

Pacheco is undefeated coming into this fight. I want Pierre to win just because of his name. Pacheco continues the night of good finishes with some good work. I loved the pass to the side control which proved to be the decisive moment as that's when things properly turned south for Pierre.

Dave Vitkay vs. Jesse Peterson

Erm... okay then. :lol: I was just about to type that "Vitkay needs a win to have an even win-loss record" and then Vitkay just started smashing knees off of the guy's coupon and I knew the end was coming. So yeah, a crucial win for him there and he fought like he needed it.

Marcin Held vs. Dave Jansen - Bellator Lightweight Tournament Final

I loved this fight. Absolutely loved it. You have to appreciate the work of Held from the bottom. I had no idea how to score the second round, as Held did a LOT of work looking for the finish. Jansen was mostly on the defensive, but at the same time he was scoring on the ground and pound. So he certainly earned the fight, and he definitely won round three. It was a good fight though no matter what styles of MMA you enjoy watching.

Aye, I loved that.