MMA Thread

Shuggie_Murray7

f**k me, Dos Anjos gets it unanimous! I'm back in the game. Shocked at that one! First round was the only one that could have went either way for me, Dunham comfortably winning 2 and 3, surely?

Edited by Christophe

I only saw the main card and the Lineker fight. It wasn't a classic by any means but I quite enjoyed it.

Belfort-Rockhold went exactly as I expected it to, but I didn't think the KO would be quite so spectacular. Vitor is an animal, despite his age his reaction times are very quick and he obviously has so much power. Rockhold deserved the spot given his record but he was completely outclassed. No shame in that, I'd pick Belfort against anyone at 185 not named Anderson Silva, who incidentally should be Vitor's next fight given the way he's demolished two top five guys consecutively.

Jacare looked really good as expected as well. He's one of the fighters I always look forward to watching, and he seems to get better every time he gets in the cage. I don't think he's the number 2 MW in the world but I would probably give him the best chance of beating Anderson at 185 if Weidman can't do it. A win over Camozzi isn't enough for a title shot though. I think he's capable of submitting anyone potentially, plus his stand-up is improving and is underrated.

Dos Anjos-Dunham was alright but it didn't catch fire as I thought it would. Dana was saying on Twitter that he felt Dunham got robbed which I couldn't get my head round, I thought it was a 29-28 for Dos Anjos with him taking the first two through being a bit more accurate and faster. Neither guy really showed anything to suggest they can go beyond their current level of fringe top 10-15.

I doubt it'll get a mention anywhere as it was a unanimous decision and didn't really make a difference to the outcome of the fight, but WTF was the judge who had it 30-27 for Natal watching in the first round?

Fights to make:

Vitor vs Anderson/Weidman winner

Jacare vs Bisping

Rockhold vs Stann or Lombard

Dos Anjos vs Pearson

So where are we thinkin the heavyweiht division is at the moment with UFC 160 approaching.

Almost a year to the day since Cain first annihilated "Bigfoot". I am expect this fight to pretty much go the same way.

With JDS also taking on Hunt, as great a story as his is, I simply cannot see any way Hunt wins this.

Does the UFC therefore go with Cain vs JDS 3 immediately? Or do they give JDS another fight or two to build himself up again? JDS vs Overeem maybe?

Elsewhere in the division I don't see many options. Roy Nelson shouldn't get it for me, Cormier won't fight Cain, Mir is just a no as is Travis Browne. Werdum perhaps?

Cain-Bigfoot should be more competitive than their first meeting (would be hard not to be), but Cain will knock him out again within the first half of the fight I think. Bigfoot was getting outclassed by Browne before Browne picked up a leg injury, and he was getting beaten soundly by Overeem until Overeem got too cocky. Cain's a beast.

If Hunt wins he should probably be next in line, if JDS wins I'd make him fight again. I make JDS a massive favourite but I don't think it's impossible for Hunt to win. Stylistically I think it's a decent fight for Hunt, JDS is a very good wrestler but he doesn't really take guys to the ground, he uses his wrestling to keep it standing. That's exactly where Hunt will want the action to take place. I think JDS will probably outclass him in terms of speed and technique to take a wide decision, but if Hunt lands flush on anybody he'll knock them out. I think this is a closer fight than the main event.

If JDS does win they'll give him the shot, but as I said I don't think he'd deserve it. Cain absolutely demolished him last time they fought and he'd have one win over Hunt since then if he's successful on Saturday. In the likely event JDS wins, I'd book the winner of Werdum-Big Nog to fight Cain. It should match up timing wise (that fight is in a couple of weeks). Werdum would then be coming off a cracking run (the stinker against Overeem aside), or Nog would have a massive win and two on the bounce plus his name value.

Overeem is to fight at 164 (against Nelson maybe?), if he wins I'd stick him in with JDS for the shot at Cain/Werdum/Big Nog. Browne could be another shout to fight either Nelson or Overeem. One thing's for sure, they need someone to emerge as a contender and piece together a run because it's a thin division.