MMA Thread

Shuggie_Murray7

Has anyone ever stopped Faber?

I think Mike Brown might have stopped him in the WEC, although I could well have made that up.

Over the moon for Joanne, deserves everything she gets for all the work she has put in. Not many fighters in that weight class will want to stand and trade with her.

I'm a big fan of McDonald. He's heavy handed and always exciting, in fact I don't remember too many decisions he has gone to, only his one with Figueroa.

I think people forget that Faber is 34 :o. But for a 22 year old the way McDonald handled Pickett was impressive as f**k.

Edited by Shuggie_Murray7

GSP looks set to take an indefinite leave of absence and vacate his title.

Press conference just started now, apparently.

By the way, while looking for news about it I discovered that White changed his mind about who won the GSP-Hendricks fight after rewatching it.

Its now Hendricks vs Lawler for the vacant title at 171 while GSP gets his shit right. By the sound if him on the conference call he will be back eventually.

Joe Rogan is thinking that GSP has brain damage. Apparently has been getting bouts of memory loss in recent months...

Edited by banana

Be bad news if true. The sport has alot of critics who deem it unbelievably unsafe but have no issue with boxing. A story about a top fighter with brain damage would be a lovely story for such critics.

FWIW I'm mildly surprised nobody has had MMA induced brain damage this far.

Joe Rogan is winding of GSP has brain damage. Apparently has been getting bouts of memory loss in recent months...

He was on Rogan's podcast earlier this year and mentioned some things that definitely pointed towards brain damage, e.g. driving his car and, as GSP described it, "blinking" and a few hours had passed in between. He was pretty secretive about some things, particularly his belief in aliens to whom he attributed these black-outs which was a bit bizarre.

I'm not, it is by far the safest of the pro combat sports.

It is, this is something I cannot disagree with. However if someone takes heavy hits to their head alot over a decade it can't do you any good. Although nobody has reported any medically confirmed problems yet which is always good news.

It is, this is something I cannot disagree with. However if someone takes heavy hits to their head alot over a decade it can't do you any good. Although nobody has reported any medically confirmed problems yet which is always good news.

You look at MMA and more often than not any really heavy, hurtful strikes end the fight. Then look at say boxing where it's sustained punishment over upto 12 rounds. MMA is extremely safe.

You look at MMA and more often than not any really heavy, hurtful strikes end the fight. Then look at say boxing where it's sustained punishment over upto 12 rounds. MMA is extremely safe.

Again I agree with you completely. Alot of the damage is very superficial. But I just wonder if sustaining knock out punches alot over a decade will take its toll on someone at some point. GSP didn't know which round he was at after taking some severe knocks to the head from Hendricks.

Not sure if true but a friend of mine was saying he signed a 2/3 fight deal. Reportedly the UFC wanted him for a while but weren't signing anyone for a certain period. He took that last fight 3 weeks before it happened and got the call while in China Buffet King. Deserves another go but this time with a full training camp behind him.