Sons' sorrow

Seems some sort of contradiction about Nade's condition here.......

Either way, we really need to address the midfield situation. Lindsay's presence has become essential, and Routledge really has to stop picking up cheap bookings. Gallagher, Cawley and Kilpatrick have contributed very little and Barr is essentially a defender.

So, some radical thoughts. Heh showed me enough yesterday to suggest that he has mobility and directness, worthy of a shot on the right side. Failing that I would actually consider Scott Taggart there. Lindsay and Routledge in central mid and, wait for it, Watters on the left to get up and down the park and let Sparky defend.

At the moment we are playing silly wee triangular patterns which inevitably break down, all with an utter lack of pace and penetration - there is no flow to the midfield and there has been none for months.

Up front it would be Walsh with Fleming to his right; after 25 mins yesterday Walsh had drifted inside anyway, so let's try him as a spearhead. And sorry, Donald is looking too wee and too light for Championship defences.

Aye, it might be a whole crock of shit, but we are currently in need of some radical thinking.

Edited by O'Kelly Isley III

Either way, we really need to address the midfield situation. Lindsay's presence has become essential, and Routledge really has to stop picking up cheap bookings. Gallagher, Cawley and Kilpatrick have contributed very little and Barr is essentially a defender.

So, some radical thoughts. Heh showed me enough yesterday to suggest that he has mobility and directness, worthy of a shot on the right side. Failing that I would actually consider Scott Taggart there. Lindsay and Routledge in central mid and, wait for it, Watters on the left to get up and down the park and let Sparky defend.

At the moment we are playing silly wee triangular patterns which inevitably break down, all with an utter lack of pace and penetration - there is no flow to the midfield and there has been none for months.

Up front it would be Walsh with Fleming to his right; after 25 mins yesterday Walsh had drifted inside anyway, so let's try him as a spearhead. And sorry, Donald is looking too wee and too light for Championship defences.

Aye, it might be a whole crock of shit, but we are currently in need of some radical thinking.

Only issue I have s 4 full backs then on park but I agree with any radical changes.

Donald is light but that's cause we stick him up himself. Thought he did well enough but needs support I keep all our forwards.

Certainly I agree with the 3 yard triangular passing.drives me mad

I think I agree with pretty much everything you've said here. On SonsTV Stevie said that Nade has only done something to his back, and that he's in a bit of pain but should be fine soon. If Fleming is still carrying a knock then that explains why he hasn't done much for a few weeks.

Taggart offers us considerably more going forward than Saunders, he was tremendous at the beginning of the season and I wouldn't be averse to bringing him back in. He also gives the defence some much needed pace.

Waters and Docherty seems like a reasonable idea too, both are decent going forward and good crossers of the ball, but sometimes get caught on defensively. Playing them together could work as they will cover each other's weakness.

I wouldn't be averse to trying something like this next week:

Ewings

Taggart Barr Wright Docherty

Heh Lindsay Routledge Waters

Nade/Fleming* Walsh

*Whichever one is fit.

It's a pretty radical change, and Aitken seems fairly loyal to certain players, despite not performing for for a long while. Something needs to change, and quickly, and perhaps this could be it. My only worry is the right hand side, where perhaps Kler and Taggart would be too attacking. In which case Saunders could slot back in and sit tight. The issue with that however is that it leaves Kler as isolated as Walsh was at times yesterday, which effectively nullified his threat.

We'll actually make just one change from last week's starting xi with Grant Gallagher coming in for Fleming/Nade, guarantee it.

I thought morton were far better than us yesterday and that we could have been three down at half time. Despite the clamour for nade and fleming, we had more presence and threat up front when it was the Don with gal, heh and walsh.

Jono and barr are too similar for cm together so jamie must come in if fit.

Would nt mind heh or don starting next week; one at rm and the other supporting nade or gaz

I think that we lack creativity and craft in central midfield, not to mention goals. Do we always have to play with two holding midfielders, no matter the opposition? I expect to be shot down in flames for this, but I wouldn't mind if we gave Jordan Kirkpatrick a run of two or three games playing in central midfield, to see whether he can still do it. Not played wide or in a bizarre lone striker role, as he was against Falkirk on Boxing Day. I'm going from memory, but I think he's only had about three league starts all season and hasn't played in consecutive games. Maybe it would be an unmitigated disaster, but it might just result in us being less predictable and pedestrian.

I said on the match thread that I'd bring Kirky in, he has been very highly rated over the years and never let us down and filled in well for aggie, we need more in the middle than all the defensively minded midfielders in our team, and I include Lindsay in that, I like all our midfielders, but, they never thread a pass through the middle, rarely have a shot, it's getting that I'd like aggie and Turner back, we won't see the best of Kirky unless he get a few games under his belt. He came on against alloa and scored a double, give him a chance.

I said on the match thread that I'd bring Kirky in, he has been very highly rated over the years and never let us down and filled in well for aggie, we need more in the middle than all the defensively minded midfielders in our team, and I include Lindsay in that, I like all our midfielders, but, they never thread a pass through the middle, rarely have a shot, it's getting that I'd like aggie and Turner back, we won't see the best of Kirky unless he get a few games under his belt. He came on against alloa and scored a double, give him a chance.

Let's be honest he's only done well for 6/7 months (around the time Kane came in) and been anonymous the rest. I'd love him to get back to that level of performance as I rated him highly but I don't think it's going to happen, possibly the way we play doesn't suit him.

I think Jamie Ewings should start in goal. He has a no nonsense goalkeeping style and despite the clubs Mark Brown has been at, nothing suggests he's been very good.

In defence at left back Mark Docherty should start because of the passion he shows and he's also quite reliable apart from the odd mistake.

Frazer Wright has to start at centre back just because of how good he is. The other centre back slot is between Buchanan and Barr. Buchanan is faster and more dominant in the air. Barr is more experienced and makes less rash decisions. An example being Buchanan turning his back away from the ball for Mortons first goal.

At right back Saunders gives great defensive ability but is so slow jogging forwards with the ball at his feet. Taggart is fairly solid but gets for ward much faster.

In central midfield Lindsay has to start. He gives us so much energy and fight. In the other slot routlage should start because he breaks up the play well and normally passes well ever though he probably isn't direct enough. I would be interested to see how Fleming would do next to Lindsay if he was told to sit and break up play because he's very strong.

On the wings it has to be Walsh and Heh because the have the most pace and skill to create chances which is what we need.

I wouldn't mind giving Kirkpatrick a go but not in his current shape. I think he could work well behind bade because it not like he's a lone striker. He's looking for scraps to pick off unlike Fleming who want the ball played to his feet every time. He can also Finnish well.

Waters, Cawley and Gallagher are good squad players. Cawley lacks confidence and Gallagher has 4 or 5 games where you Hardley notice him, then a game where his making lots of powerful runs.

Donald McCallum will be a great player for us in the future but he needs to bulk up and get experience at maybe league two standard.

Dennis Wyness negative

Brian McPhee positive

Ross Campbell negative

Jon McShane positive

How would we rate Dargo? Was pretty dire for the most part, then scored the winner in injury time against Stirling Albion - to relegate them and confirm our playoff place, got a hat-trick against Brechin and scored twice in the play-off final.

Kirky has never let us down? He's no kicked his own arse for about a year and a half! If he was at all interested he'd be a useful player but when we're throwing on injured players in his place that should tell you everything.

6/7 months that Stevie has been in, he's playing his boys for the most part, rather than seeing what previous members can do, Kirky has a lot going forward, routledge and Lindsay don't know where the goal is, game time adds confidence as we all know, were not scoring, we need to try something different,

Lindsay is 100 times more effecrive than Kirkpatrick has been in over a year (he was posted missing for the majority of last season too) even without Jamie finding the net. Tweaking the team a little I'm all for, pinning our hopes on an unfit, uninterested central midfielder would be the worst thing to do.

Bring back Stevie Craig...

Lindsay completely different player, uninterested?, how? Cos Stevie play's his own men? Would you feel happy about that? He scored two against alloa, yet gets dropped for the next game, I'm not saying drop routledge or Lindsay, play Kirky in front of them, and considering we're out of strikers, push Mccallum in front of him, no harm in something different, we're not scoring now.

Lindsay completely different player, uninterested?, how? Cos Stevie play's his own men? Would you feel happy about that? He scored two against alloa, yet gets dropped for the next game, I'm not saying drop routledge or Lindsay, play Kirky in front of them, and considering we're out of strikers, push Mccallum in front of him, no harm in something different, we're not scoring now.

That's my point, Lindsay is a completely different player (a much more defensive style player) and he offers more in an attacking sense than Kirky has done in over a year. I think he's uninterested because he's unfit and doesn't ever do anything when he gets put on the field. I'm going to take a wild guess here and assume that our manager feels similar. 2 goals against rock bottom Alloa side who we beat 5-0, who didn't even have a manager at the time, is a decent contribution but it remains his only contribution in over a year.

Trying something different doesn't mean throw anyone on the pitch and see what happens.