Sons' sorrow

1 hour ago, the snudge said:

Maybe @Jan Vojáček can answer this...

Is this the biggest turnover player wise in a season?

Oh. Good one. 

This season we've had 30 different players in matchday squads. Last season it was 23 (albeit Rory Loy was technically a signed player at the start of pre-season). We had 31 in matchday squads over 2018-19 though. I also remember a huge turnover in 2017-18 when we were relegated - but that was apparently only 27. We had 31 in 2016-17.

On Chapman. He had 35 in matchday squads in 2008-09 as far as I can see...! Which I think is the biggest in recent history.

5 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

What was the story with Spencer at Dumbarton? Did he not show enough in his appearances? Or did Duffy just not fancy him? He’s been a really good signing for us. 

I've absolutely no idea to be honest. I thought he looked a good player, but Duffy just didn't fancy him. Fairly sure he dropped him for his first game and his appearances were pretty limited after that before he got punted to Forfar.

12 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

What was the story with Spencer at Dumbarton? Did he not show enough in his appearances? Or did Duffy just not fancy him? He’s been a really good signing for us. 

I never really thought he showed too much in his time with us other than a goal up at Brechin to suggest he was comfortably a second tier player. He probably deserved more of a chance though, but with Hutton and Carswell both there he was always going to be third choice, as mental as typing that sentence now seems. 

4 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Oh. Good one. 

This season we've had 30 different players in matchday squads. Last season it was 23 (albeit Rory Loy was technically a signed player at the start of pre-season). We had 31 in matchday squads over 2018-19 though. I also remember a huge turnover in 2017-18 when we were relegated - but that was apparently only 27. We had 31 in 2016-17.

On Chapman. He had 35 in matchday squads in 2008-09 as far as I can see...! Which I think is the biggest in recent history.

31 players this season then, that injured keeper hasn't been named in a squad since he signed. 5 goalkeepers out that lot too (Dabrowski, Smith, injured c**t, Ramsbottom, DU lad). A truly honking year of recruitment. 

10 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I've absolutely no idea to be honest. I thought he looked a good player, but Duffy just didn't fancy him. Fairly sure he dropped him for his first game and his appearances were pretty limited after that before he got punted to Forfar.

6 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I never really thought he showed too much in his time with us other than a goal up at Brechin to suggest he was comfortably a second tier player. He probably deserved more of a chance though, but with Hutton and Carswell both there he was always going to be third choice, as mental as typing that sentence now seems. 

Cheers guys. Yeah I thought it seemed an odd one given his performances for us but he was fairly young and hadn’t played much senior football before he arrived at Dumbarton so I’d imagine the player he is now isn’t what Dumbarton saw.

He’s an excellent footballer on his day for us (see his assist for our first goal against the Pars last week) but I think the likes of Hendry, Tait and Matthews probably compliment and bring the best out of him.

Not sure if it is of interest to Sons fans but knowing both are held in high regard amongst your support, Reghan Tumilty has been an excellent signing for us and Lewis Vaughan is back fit and scoring goals looking like he has never been away again. Fingers crossed he stays fit.

All the best for the rest of the season.

2 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

Cheers guys. Yeah I thought it seemed an odd one given his performances for us but he was fairly young and hadn’t played much senior football before he arrived at Dumbarton so I’d imagine the player he is now isn’t what Dumbarton saw.

He’s an excellent footballer on his day for us (see his assist for our first goal against the Pars last week) but I think the likes of Hendry, Tait and Matthews probably compliment and bring the best out of him.

Not sure if it is of interest to Sons fans but knowing both are held in high regard amongst your support, Reghan Tumilty has been an excellent signing for us and Lewis Vaughan is back fit and scoring goals looking like he has never been away again. Fingers crossed he stays fit.

All the best for the rest of the season.

Glad to hear Vaughan is back and scoring again. Sincerely hope that is the last of his injury problems. 

10 hours ago, pleslie99 said:

You kind of did, you said that 1 mistake could be what relegates us, if that's not solely blaming him for the situation then I don't know what is. He made a mistake, as do all players, he's redeemed himself in subsequent games. 1 mistake won't be what relegates us, regardless of who it was against. The fact we've been utter Shite over the shortened season will relegate us.

I said he hadn't made up for the error and that the four point swing could relegate us.  Yes the manager's decisions and  the rest of the team are responsible for where we are. But that mistake was crucial in terms of the relative positions of the two teams on the day (and probably for the confidence of both sides going in to the games immediately after.)

5 minutes ago, sarti pooh said:

How was everyone's stream tonight? Had one issue with a fan's constantly freezing but from my early "asking aboot" seems to have just been an issue with that one person and everybody else got on fine tonight.

Mine froze a couple of times but think that was more likely to be due to my shifty WiFi more than anything.

How was everyone's stream tonight? Had one issue with a fan's constantly freezing but from my early "asking aboot" seems to have just been an issue with that one person and everybody else got on fine tonight.
Mine buffered for about a minute to begin with but was fine for the rest of the first half. It happened a few times in the second half which I fixed by lowering the resolution. There was also a sound problem with the commentary sounding a bit dalek-like (sorry, that's the best description I can come up with[emoji23].)

Tonight was dire. Again. The more I see the more I think the players just aren't good enough. This is the most uninspiring lot I've seen play for us. The defence is fine for the most part, going forward we seem to be making the wrong decisions and panicking. Giving the ball away from defence and rushing it out isn't working, the ball just comes back at us. A bit of composure is needed all over the park.

13 minutes ago, sarti pooh said:

Perfect as ever on my end. Thanks again for your hard work on enabling quality streaming.

Noticed a few times it was a bit jumpy tonight and particularly at half time the sound was very robotic and slowed but would then catch up. Still a good service provided though and can’t complain too much.

We're persisting with a guy who admits he's got no idea how to make us score. He's not even got any idea how to line us up, switches between 442 and 433 and ALWAYS has someone out of position. We're doon and I don't know how the board can't see it.