Sons' sorrow

I'm certainly glad we've finally done the business everyone was expecting us to, I'm just not quite sure why there has been so much tempering of expectations from the management this last week or two. Still, glad both have joined and hopefully gives us a boost a big game tonight. 

25 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I'm certainly glad we've finally done the business everyone was expecting us to, I'm just not quite sure why there has been so much tempering of expectations from the management this last week or two. Still, glad both have joined and hopefully gives us a boost a big game tonight. 

Yeah, I don't think there was any need to say point blank that we wouldn't be signing a goalkeeper, just to go sign one. It just leaves him open to criticism (and possibly a little bit of praise if he actually admits he got it wrong). Just say, "we are aware of a few areas where we need to improve/sign players and we will stretch the budget to as much as we can." Or something along those lines. At times, be does himself no favours.

5 minutes ago, squeezebox-son said:

Yeah, I don't think there was any need to say point blank that we wouldn't be signing a goalkeeper, just to go sign one. It just leaves him open to criticism (and possibly a little bit of praise if he actually admits he got it wrong). Just say, "we are aware of a few areas where we need to improve/sign players and we will stretch the budget to as much as we can." Or something along those lines. At times, be does himself no favours.

Tbf he could talk as much shite as he wants (which he does) and it wouldn't matter a jot if he was achieving success on the pitch, but he hasn't and that's what it all comes down to.

Edited by FifeSons

Really interested to see how Newbury gets on. He was excellent at CB for the u18 title-winning side, but there are big concerns about him physically if he wants to stay in that position. I'm not sure he's the best technically, either, as his lack of strength also results in quite weak passing. V composed though.

He can play in midfield and at right-back, which is where Rankin said he was expected to play this season and I wouldn't be surprised if you guys end up moving him to one of those positions. He's started two senior games at CB and was very good against Kelty but struggled a wee bit more against Edinburgh City, which is why I'm so interested to see if he can hack it as a centre-back in adult football, especially as I'm not sure how much growing he's got left to do. 

35 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Really interested to see how Newbury gets on. He was excellent at CB for the u18 title-winning side, but there are big concerns about him physically if he wants to stay in that position. I'm not sure he's the best technically, either, as his lack of strength also results in quite weak passing. V composed though.

He can play in midfield and at right-back, which is where Rankin said he was expected to play this season and I wouldn't be surprised if you guys end up moving him to one of those positions. He's started two senior games at CB and was very good against Kelty but struggled a wee bit more against Edinburgh City, which is why I'm so interested to see if he can hack it as a centre-back in adult football, especially as I'm not sure how much growing he's got left to do. 

We only have one fit centre half (and 2 in total) so I'll be shocked if he's not played exclusively there.

Use this as a like button for #FazOut.

I'm personally still #FazIn. The consistency in how the arse goes out of this Dumbarton side always has me giggling like a wee lassie.

3 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

It’s fairly pointless directing any anger towards Farrell at this stage. The board/Neil Mackay are to blame for this. The guy should’ve been emptied after relegation and they actually extended his stay here a matter of months later. 

Spot on. Can’t expect him to resign.

I think the East fife away defeat towards the end of the relegation season (with maybe 6/7 games left) was when he really should’ve gone. Amazing that years later he’s still here.

7 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

It’s fairly pointless directing any anger towards Farrell at this stage. The board/Neil Mackay are to blame for this. The guy should’ve been emptied after relegation and they actually extended his stay here a matter of months later. 

I don't disagree but just who of the three on the Board can be trusted to act, never mind identify and appoint a replacement ?  They will keep their heads down and hope it all just goes it away.  Meanwhile what's left of the support deffo will.

1 minute ago, Cardle is Magic said:

I only just realised you lads still have the same manager who bottled it last season 😳

Staggering he wasn’t sacked on the spot, never mind still being in post over half a season later!

Same one who got us relegated out of league 1 AND bottled it last season

Just now, Cardle is Magic said:

I only just realised you lads still have the same manager who bottled it last season 😳

Staggering he wasn’t sacked on the spot, never mind still being in post over half a season later!

You'd better sit down.  He's on a contract to May 2025

No, we can't explain it either.