Sons' sorrow

On 17/01/2024 at 04:44, BallochSonsFan said:

They might have working links, but they're 3 separate organisations.

The SPFL does not have any administrative control over the Highland League, the Lowland League or any of the tier 6 and below league bodies.

Indeed it does not. However they are still all 'senior' leagues as opposed to junior ones, which was his point. But you knew that.

8 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Indeed it does not. However they are still all 'senior' leagues as opposed to junior ones, which was his point. But you knew that.

And everybody knew what BSF meant but decided to pick him up on it anyway.

I do find it funny that junior fans spent years "protecting the grade" and refused integration into the senior leagues and now that's happened any reference to former junior teams gets jumped on with "but but but wur no joonyur anymare!!". 

4 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Haha what a fud. Why would any club in their right mind agree to letting a player they have loaned out play against them even if there wasn’t a perfectly acceptable rule in place? This isn’t a new thing, it’s been happening for decades and quite rightly so.

The rule's only been in place for about 6 or 7 years, although it was previously pretty standard for loan agreements to include a clause forbidding a player playing against their parent club. The rule was formally introduced after Hibs forgot to include such a clause in the loan of Callum Booth to Raith Rovers and then they drew each other in the Scottish Cup. Raith refused to not select him as the loan didn't say they couldn't. He played the whole game as Raith shocked Hibs 3-2. Rule was brought in a couple of years later, initially by the SPFL but the SFA soon followed suit.

In any event, there's not a chance in hell Rangers would ever let Hogarth play in this whatever the rule was and it must have been known that signing a keeper on loan from Rangers when you have an upcoming tie against Rangers would mean someone else having to play (and you can't play trialists so it needs to be a signed player).

EDIT - I've just read Farrell saying in the press that both clubs were happy for him to play and the rule needs changing! Assuming he's not outright lying I'm astonished Rangers would have let him play. Leaving that aside though, as @Bring Back Paddy Flannery said, this rule isn't especially new. It defies belief that someone didn't point out he wouldn't be eligible at the time of signing. If Rangers 'agreed' to let him play I imagine that conversation took place with a coach not conscious of the rules, perhaps even Clement who has just arrived in the country. Not a chance anyone in Rangers admin wasn't well aware it wasn't permitted.

4 hours ago, FifeSons said:

It’s strange that UEFA allow it/force the parent club to allow it (or certainly used to) in the Champions League. Most memorable cases being Courtois for Atletico against Chelsea and Morientes for Monaco against Real Madrid.

International loans are technically transfers as the registration actually moves unlike a domestic loan where it doesn't. The holder of a player's registration would always have the right to play them as they see fit, though there may be a gentleman's agreement not to play such a player. Any such clause in the loan agreement would be invalid and UEFA have previously ruled, as they did with Chelsea in respect of Courtois, that the parent club could not enforce a loan player not to be played.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

4 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

And everybody knew what BSF meant but decided to pick him up on it anyway.

I do find it funny that junior fans spent years "protecting the grade" and refused integration into the senior leagues and now that's happened any reference to former junior teams gets jumped on with "but but but wur no joonyur anymare!!". 

There are still Junior Leagues. They didn't all integrate into Senior.

5 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

This signing is going to lead to a 200 percent rise in instances of sectarian hate crime on Saturday evening if it's who I think it is.

Jesus christ we really are at the bam up here :lol:

Surely to christ Faz must be due to trim some of the fat from this squad. I think any debate about who has the biggest budget can now be put to bed.

Hopefully the lad can do a job for us but I’m not entirely sure who he replaces in the squad. It seems like a transfer that’s been made purely to cover for Newbury being cup tied this weekend, unless of course someone like Lynas is offski.

6 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Surely to christ Faz must be due to trim some of the fat from this squad. I think any debate about who has the biggest budget can now be put to bed.

Hopefully the lad can do a job for us but I’m not entirely sure who he replaces in the squad. It seems like a transfer that’s been made purely to cover for Newbury being cup tied this weekend, unless of course someone like Lynas is offski.

He mentioned spending Chuckie's wage, but I'm pretty sure we all expected a like for like to come in. But I do agree, I thought we would have tried to shift a couple more during January. My thinking was Ryan Blair & Declan Byrne. Unfortunately, I doubt we'll see the former leave but surely we could negotiate something.

Also, by signing another centre back... do we assume we'll be lucky to see Durnan back this season? I don't understand why we would make this signing otherwise. I still don't think we needed another CB, even with Newbury being cup tied this weekend.

44 minutes ago, squeezebox-son said:

Also, by signing another centre back... do we assume we'll be lucky to see Durnan back this season? I don't understand why we would make this signing otherwise. I still don't think we needed another CB, even with Newbury being cup tied this weekend.

A return to 3 at the back, perhaps?

1 hour ago, squeezebox-son said:

Has to be a big concern that what was supposed to be a couple of weeks has turned into a couple of months for Durnan. I don't think we're getting him back any time soon and having 3 central defenders at the club is an absolute must. Particularly when our current cover would be to move fullbacks inside. Not ideal, although we've got 2 options on the right with Carlo and Lynas. Big problem on the left with only having Shiels.

But it does leave our squad looking bloated. We've got numbers but perhaps not strength outside the starting 11.

This has been a great listen so far. Plenty of airtime for us, and I think everything said has been spot on. The only thing I’d add is it wasn’t just that he got us relegated, but the nature of the Edinburgh City defeat. The home leg maybe being even worse than the 4-1. Remember going into that EC had finished 4th in L2, and only just, at that. To channel Mikel Arteta, it was a disgrace.

Perhaps unfairly, I've always seen Farrell as Aitken’s man/Aitken II, and a link to an era I wanted us to move on from. I appreciate the likes of “tought you well mate”/him having been here previously and followed a similar career path to Aitken, weren’t fair things to judge him on, but it just felt like a step backwards from day 1, to me.

Ultimately, though, it’s not Farrell’s fault he’s still here, it’s MacKay’s, and any anger should be directed at him*

*not that I’ve quite practiced what I’m preaching on that one…

Edited by FifeSons