Sons' sorrow

Do people genuinely think a hotel, gym, restaurant, conferencing facilities etc will run at a profit, on the Renton Road, in the arse end of Dumbarton? Do people seriously think that?

Just build a stadium with basic training facilities and be done with it. The other pish will absolutely cripple us.

See above.

Re new stadium. In my time i have seen countless chairmen directors players and managers come and go. The only consistent are the fans. Gilbertis a nice bloke but can't even work a credit card machine. Wilf I know you were a businessman but fans like the moonster care about the club and have a right to know every detail.

Re new stadium. In my time i have seen countless chairmen directors players and managers come and go. The only consistent are the fans. Gilbertis a nice bloke but can't even work a credit card machine. Wilf I know you were a businessman but fans like the moonster care about the club and have a right to know every detail.

The credit card machine has become an old chestnut. In my time in business I had a few and they all worked differently. You misrepresent Gilbert there Johnny, he ran Chestertons whole Scottish Operation for years and was first a director of the club around 30 years ago. There was a time in the 1980s when he and Alistair Paton (and I'm not exaggerating here) secured the future of the club when it was far from certain. I'm not saying he's perfect but his commitment to DFC as a fan and official is beyond reproach.

One important and possibly the most important point seems to be getting overlooked while moans about hotels, gyms, investors profits etc seem to take priority in this debate.

Surely from a footballing point of view the manager and players would be delighted to move away from our present location where many home games during the season are ruined by gale force winds and driving rain.

If for no other reason we need to get away from the Rock to progress on the playing side.

It's a disadvantage playing our home games in these conditions.

Surely from a footballing point of view the manager and players would be delighted to move away from our present location where many home games during the season are ruined by gale force winds and driving rain.

Do they not get gale force winds and driving rain halfway to Renton, then?

how do u assume we'll get the land for nothing? How stupid would the land owners be?

I think the answer to your question has already been answered by Howlin Wilf. However as the question was again my post i'll give you my answer. I didn't assume anything, I said apparantly they getting it for nothing, maybe as wilf says not nothing but very preferential rates. It might be something to do with who currently owns that land and no they're not stupid.

One important and possibly the most important point seems to be getting overlooked while moans about hotels, gyms, investors profits etc seem to take priority in this debate.

If for no other reason we need to get away from the Rock to progress on the playing side.

Not forgetting a 1m metre wide strip of frozen turf along the stand side.

The weather certainly hasn't had an adverse affect on the team's performances over the past 6 seasons. We've been on a steady upward climb since 2008 on the field, so I'm not sure your point is valid.

Edit to add: At any rate, "it rains a lot where our ground is" isn't much of a valid reason to move, given how much adverse weather we experience every year in this country.

Edited by Sweet Pete

Oh Jeez!

Right. Points one by one. The local plan published on an occasional basis by WDC zones the whole of that area of the east end of the town as for housing. The building of the stadium in its current location was in contravention of the local plan but some sort of persuasion must have worked.

Unfortunately in the real world the 'we were here first' argument will not hold water when the issues are noise, illegal parking, litter or whatever.

I would be absolutely astonished if the club were to have anything to do with the running of any ancillary services on the site. these will be offered to operators in return for rent or purchase of the land.

As for the unknown property developers, they were brought in by Gilbert Lawrie, who has not only run a PLC property company but has been a Dumbarton fan since he was a wee boy. They were brought in because he knew that the future of the club was uncertain under Rankine.

I'm a member of the Trust and one of their biggest advocates. Indeed it was Alan Findlay and myself who represented the Trust in negotiations to get a representative on the board. I'm sure that they will indeed keep an eye on things but I hope that if the plan is a good one that they'll support it.

So we shouldn't have even moved here in the first place. Brilliant.

The club will rent out these facilities aye? So what happens when the person renting them realises that actually, nobody in Dumbarton wants to come for their tea at Dumbarton Football Stadium? We can't just take the "build it and they will come" approach. Building a restaurant to sell it to a restaurant chain seems a bit of a pointless act to me, let alone the risk involved if no one wants it. As I've said before, it's stuff we don't need thrown on to a proposal to try and make it more palatable.

I appreciate that Gilbert is a Dumbarton fan, I appreciate he's been successful in business, I also appreciate that getting rid of Rankine was needed, what I don't appreciate is the cloak the owners have hidden behind, you must realise that makes many fans uneasy? Honestly, at the start when they bought the club, if they'd have introduced themselves and let us know what their vision was I probably wouldn't be as cynical as I'm being. All we have is the name Brabco, no official statement ever made, no comments from our owners until these plans pop up. I appreciate that Gilbert has brought them in and he supports the club, I may be young but I'm not naive enough to know think that everything will be okay because of that.

No, no, no, Moonster. Don't you see? You're young, and Wilf is older, so you're wrong. Also, Gilbert Lawrie supports Dumbarton and used to run a business, so everything will definitely be fine.

I'm glad we were able to clear that up. Can't wait to move stadium now.

I could be wrong but I can't think of many clubs who have has more home games cancelled then Dumbo over the last few years. This can be extremely expensive and damaging for a club. Not saying it's a reason to move but I think that guy's point was more valid than is being made out.

I could be wrong but I can't think of many clubs who have has more home games cancelled then Dumbo over the last few years. This can be extremely expensive and damaging for a club. Not saying it's a reason to move but I think that guy's point was more valid than is being made out.

I've always hated you.

The majority of our games were called off due to frost affecting the stand side touchline, this has been solved by the club investing in covers that can be used on that area when it's cold. Wind and rain really aren't the issue you'd think it would be and you can get that at just about any ground - see Cowden v Dumbo at Central a while back.